IGNORED

Atari 2600 "Red sea crossing" Real or fake

Max_Revolver

The ripped paper looks really fresh. I don't know how laminated paper would tear like that. The lamination looks hand made, but I guess for this producer that could be possible. Wonder what the printing looks like magnified? Done on a modern printer or silk screened?

You didn't pay too much attention, I take it?

A.) There are 2 known copies of RSC, they were not made in Atari shells and sold for 5 digits, not 3.

B.) The RSC label was never laminated.

C.) The original circuit board used, would not even fit inside an Atari shell.

EDIT: Almost as silly as believing you could accidentally break the handle off an Air Raid cart. LOL

Hey Wiz, was a regular "pixels past" Atari-Age 2K/4K board used for the 100 cart RSC reproduction run? Or was it a melody board?

The reason I ask is because I peeked inside one last night and saw that it has an EPROM on it, so if it was a regular board, why did it take so long for the rom to get dumped, and if it was a special board, to prevent that, then how did it get done?

Edited by Supergun

Hey Wiz, was a regular "pixels past" Atari-Age 2K/4K board used for the 100 cart RSC reproduction run? Or was it a melody board?

The reason I ask is because I peeked inside one last night and saw that it has an EPROM on it, so if it was a regular board, why did it take so long for the rom to get dumped, and if it was a special board, to prevent that, then how did it get done?

Not a special board, I believe it was a 28pin 4K LOW board, standard EPROM, just not a 4K EPROM. Nothing special about it, except you can use cheaper EPROM's to make carts, 27C256 EPROM's are cheaper than 2732's and more reliable. :)

I have never had access to Melody boards or the programmer needed to program them.

EDIT: I have never attempted to make repros copy protected (ROM's are not mine to release, most of the time), although I have some ideas for 7800 carts that would make you scratch your eyes out before you figure out how to break it.

Just push it back, no damage. I can most likely tell where the circuit board came from. Don't disassemble it, if you want your money back!

Get a flathead screwdriver and insert it into the one of the side grooves adjacent to the card slot. This will open the hinged door and allow you to push back the dust flap. Do not attempt to disassemble the cart as it is impossible to access the screw hole without puncturing or peeling back the label.

Check for a name printed on the PCB right behind the contacts. If the PCB is green, no name visible, and has a slightly beveled card edge, it is probably a vintage Atari PCB with an EPROM soldered in place of the Mask ROM. Most newly made PCBs have a sharper square edge. If there is a name imprinted on the solder mask, then it is a new PCB. AtariAge repros/homebrews will have AtariAge printed on it, except for advanced homebrews which use the Melody logo. CPUWIZ has his own boards, and Hozer has his own boards. Most fakes typically use Hozer boards or original Atari PCBs with EPROMs soldered in.

I'm in Australia and when I saw the auctions a few weeks back for Red Sea Crossing and Gauntlet. I thought they were fakes. It seemed weird to me that someone in Australia would have these really rare games, especially RSC when something like 10 have been found so far, I believe. The ripped label and the very damaged Gauntlet label seemed to me like they were tampered with to give off the old look.

Unfortunately people try to make money off fakes of rare games. A month ago I sold for Sega Mega Drive cart only Shining Force II, Mega Man The Wily Wars and Alien Soldier. Three hard to find games but are very possible to obtain and even then I had people questioning me on if they are real or not. They were real and the buyer even opened them up when he got them to confirm he had checked them and they had Sega boards in them etc. But unfortunately due to people like the Red Sea seller, you can't even find rare games without questioning them.

Hopefully we can ban this seller. The fact over the last few months they have made thousands off bootlegs if enough to get them.

How is Gauntlet as a game?

Yes, mayhem, that was actually me :)

I was exstatic about finally getting it.

It's actually a very challenging game. The graphics are above average, colorful and easy on the eyes. Musical tunes are good too. I like the tempo playing in the background, almost like an active hunt or chase is underway. The game has an obstacle course feeling to it, reminds me of Antarctic Adventure; another favorite of mine. I'm getting better at the game, but enjoying it as I go.

Just filed a claim against these douchebag theh told me to wait till november 19 and see what the seller does if not its gonna escalate more and to call them back im pretty sure the seller ia gonna try to fight these

Call them on the phone, I think you might be able to expedite the process with all the details.

i did call ebay, they told me to wait till thursday for his response i have to wait no matter what, they told me im protected but either way i wanna get this guy banned but its gonna be hard . Ebay rep told me "well he has 100% positive feedback sir his good" im like f u.

Well at least there is a good chance you may get reimbursed. Let this be a lesson though to always double check the authenticity of the items before purchase. Online purchases this is often hard to do sadly. It's sad that these scammers take advantage of innocent folk. Worse there are probably ten more collectors that bought his goods and don't even know they were duped.

I've watched Pawn Stars enough to know people bring in fakes to the shop all the time. Gaming isn't so different from any other collecting hobby.

Haha his asking me to pay back the shipping, guys crazy smh yea ima pay $70 to ship to australia and then his asking to send back as he sent it, shit its a fake.

Well eBay should make the seller cover the return shipping. Even if you can't get a refund on shipping, taking a $70 loss is sure as hell better than a $700 loss. My two cents.

If you do end up shipping it back, make photocopies of the USPS receipt and forward them to eBay resolution center. They should reimburse you for it.