IGNORED

TRS-80 model 100 cassette cable?

Muzz73

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote the above post when I was trying to get a Model 100 off of ebay, but got sniped (3 times in the same week).

A week and a half ago, a nice guy gave me a Model 102 for free and I'm pretty stoked... it runs like a top and I take it with me just about everywhere!

I still need a cassette cable, though. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

If I recall right, the cable for the I, III, and IV will all work on the 100 as well as the cassette cables for the CoCos. Make sure they have the metal ends though as it seems the model I originally shipped with a cable that uses a thicker plastic end that snaps into the machine. (Though I see the later metal ones seem to fit the model I.)

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of experimenting with random number generation in BASIC and intended to use my microcassette recorder for bulk storage on the 102.

I am now thinking of investing in one of those REX storage units, instead. I'd still need a cassette cable to pipe everything out to my PC's sound system (for backup), but I guess I could try the one from my CoCo 2... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry anything! ;)

Thanks!

I am now thinking of investing in one of those REX storage units, instead. I'd still need a cassette cable to pipe everything out to my PC's sound system (for backup), but I guess I could try the one from my CoCo 2... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry anything! ;)

Thanks!

What are you referring to by REX?

The REX 100/102 is a small flash RAM unit that fits into the Option ROM socket behind the little hatch on the under side of the TRS-80 Model 100/102. It has 1MB flash RAM. If I understand it correctly, it has 256K reserved for the DOS functions needed to address the other 768K as a drive.

Check it out here:

http://www.club100.org/index.html

768K is minuscule by today's standards, but it should be fine for an 8-bit machine. It's still more than two DSDD 5.25" floppy disks and being that the file size for the Model 100/102 is so small, it should be decent storage for portability's sake.

They also have units called "NADSBoxes" that attach to one of the ports on the back and have much more storage, but I'd rather have a smaller unit, tucked up inside (I'm picky that way).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...