IGNORED

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest - Complete Game

Trebor

Having Bob's approval, the below video has been made public.

All standard game rounds are played through with both a no bonus and max bonus ending highlighted.

However, the video is not providing the location of the warps or accessing and playing the secret level. All available extra lives and hidden area locations are not shown either.

• Like 26

Is there any rough idea when this would be released?

Argh another very cool game to buy,counting my dollars,need to give blood at the blood bank. :P

Well done,game looks really good though.

And its ait of a shock to see a side scroller on the system since theyre rare to begin with.

Very excited to see the 7800 pull this off,well done PacManPlus ;-) :thumbsup:

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

Thanks, guys!

This would not look and sound anywhere near like it does without PAC-MAN-RED for the graphics, and Synthpopalooza for the music.

Speaking of the Parallax scrolling, when PAC-MAN-RED first showed me the graphics for the complete forest level (as shown in 1-5 and 1-6), I remember replying to him that I HAVE to make that use Parallax scrolling! (At the time the game didn't yet, and I wasn't completely sure how to accomplish it. But I knew with those graphics I had no choice but to make it happen) :)

The only thing holding it up is the lack of Pokeys / Hokeys.

Thanks again,

Bob

• Like 7

Thanks, guys!

This would not look and sound anywhere near like it does without PAC-MAN-RED for the graphics, and Synthpopalooza for the music.

Speaking of the Parallax scrolling, when PAC-MAN-RED first showed me the graphics for the complete forest level (as shown in 1-5 and 1-6), I remember replying to him that I HAVE to make that use Parallax scrolling! (At the time the game didn't yet, and I wasn't completely sure how to accomplish it. But I knew with those graphics I had no choice but to make it happen) :)

The only thing holding it up is the lack of Pokeys / Hokeys.

Thanks again,

Bob

Will this be an XM only release, or will it come with Hokey chip standard? I'm not entirely sold on the XM and besides high score cart functionality, two of it's biggest features (Hokey/Pokey and extra RAM) can be added to carts as needed with the advanced CPUWIZ boards. I'd hate for homebrews to be restricted to the "XM owners club" when said hardware could potentially be added to carts for maybe a $5 upcharge. I would easily pay $35 or even $40 for Hokey homebrews.

• Like 2

Will this be an XM only release, or will it come with Hokey chip standard? I'm not entirely sold on the XM and besides high score cart functionality, two of it's biggest features (Hokey/Pokey and extra RAM) can be added to carts as needed with the advanced CPUWIZ boards. I'd hate for homebrews to be restricted to the "XM owners club" when said hardware could potentially be added to carts for maybe a $5 upcharge. I would easily pay $35 or even $40 for Hokey homebrews.

I'm not sure, but if I were to guess, there will be two versions: a more expensive stand-alone version including the Pokey, and a cheaper (because of the standard board without a Pokey) XM version.

The last build I had didn't show the Bentley sprite correctly but played the sound. Assumed it was an XM compatability thing.

Can't wait to purchase the real game

That sounds more like an emulator issue than anything else. :( The newest version of M.E.S.S. displays and sounds as it should (for me anyway).

Thanks again, guys-

Bob

• Like 3

Thanks for posting that video. I had never seen all of the levels in the game yet ...

Some interesting tidbits about the music ...

The Witch fight music is the opening from the classical Lizst piece Mephisto Waltz. I thought it seemed suitably creepy. A later selection of the same piece was used as the opening music for the arcade game Crystal Castles.

Level 1 music is from the Dance of the Hours ballet. This piece is also more commonly heard in the Alan Sherman song "Hello Madduh Hello Fadduh"

The Nutcracker Suite music got used alot on the arcade Crystal Castles, so of course it had to make its way here too. Level 2 is Waltz of the Flowers, Level 3 is Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, the invincible music on those levels is the Russian Dance. I had also considered using the Chinese Dance on a level, but I think we will save that for the sequel. ;) Oh, and of course, the iconic March of the Toy Soldiers theme when you win the game, and Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture when you beat the Witch.

On the castle level, I had to use the Sorcerer's Apprentice suite. It just fit. And on level 5, Holzst's Mars The Bringer of War.

The opening theme music is, of course, The Teddy Bears Picnic. An interesting copyright conundrum exists ... the lyrics are under copyright (having been written in 1933), but the melody is not (having been composed in 1912) so I determined we were free to use this music. :) It just fits.

If you are able to make it to the hidden level ... there are a lot of desert/hot scenes there, so I wanted something spicy and Spanish ... the Carmen opera by Bizet served admirably well. Look for the Toreador song, and the Carmen Overture (better known as the Bad News Bears theme) here. :)

• Like 6

That sounds more like an emulator issue than anything else. :( The newest version of M.E.S.S. displays and sounds as it should (for me anyway).

Yeah - I actually had the issue on a real device, using a Cuttle Cart with a POKEY installed. Got this weird result. I may not have the final BIN but I thought I did.

post-1046-0-98638800-1447184650_thumb.jpeg

Edited by DracIsBack

Ah! Ok - then it's the setup that is wrong. The address of the Pokey is the same as the sprite graphic area - $4000 (Pokey - write only, Graphics - read only). I don't think there exists a CCII banking scheme that supports that setup. :(

That's why I (I believe) had to change the Pokey to Address $450 for the Versa-Board.

• Like 1

Ah! Ok - then it's the setup that is wrong. The address of the Pokey is the same as the sprite graphic area - $4000 (Pokey - write only, Graphics - read only). I don't think there exists a CCII banking scheme that supports that setup. :(

That's why I (I believe) had to change the Pokey to Address $450 for the Versa-Board.

I suspect there never will be either. Cuttle Cart II is an awesome product, but always got the sense that Chad couldn't support it anymore (maybe not his choice) and no one can fill the void. The bankswitch question has come up here before for things like 256K games too.

Thanks for posting that video. I had never seen all of the levels in the game yet ...

Some interesting tidbits about the music ...

The Witch fight music is the opening from the classical Lizst piece Mephisto Waltz. I thought it seemed suitably creepy. A later selection of the same piece was used as the opening music for the arcade game Crystal Castles.

Level 1 music is from the Dance of the Hours ballet. This piece is also more commonly heard in the Alan Sherman song "Hello Madduh Hello Fadduh"

The Nutcracker Suite music got used alot on the arcade Crystal Castles, so of course it had to make its way here too. Level 2 is Waltz of the Flowers, Level 3 is Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, the invincible music on those levels is the Russian Dance. I had also considered using the Chinese Dance on a level, but I think we will save that for the sequel. ;) Oh, and of course, the iconic March of the Toy Soldiers theme when you win the game, and Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture when you beat the Witch.

On the castle level, I had to use the Sorcerer's Apprentice suite. It just fit. And on level 5, Holzst's Mars The Bringer of War.

The opening theme music is, of course, The Teddy Bears Picnic. An interesting copyright conundrum exists ... the lyrics are under copyright (having been written in 1933), but the melody is not (having been composed in 1912) so I determined we were free to use this music. :) It just fits.

If you are able to make it to the hidden level ... there are a lot of desert/hot scenes there, so I wanted something spicy and Spanish ... the Carmen opera by Bizet served admirably well. Look for the Toreador song, and the Carmen Overture (better known as the Bad News Bears theme) here. :)

:thumbsup:

• Like 2