IGNORED

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest - Complete Game

Trebor

Oh man, this game looks amazing. As a guy that loved Crystal Castles back in the day I'm happy to see Bentley in a new adventure. I also love the little nods to the original game scattered about. Also the great use of parallax scrolling is something I can't pass commenting on.

I would love a soundtrack download if one existed.

• Like 2

I suspect there never will be either. Cuttle Cart II is an awesome product, but always got the sense that Chad couldn't support it anymore (maybe not his choice) and no one can fill the void. The bankswitch question has come up here before for things like 256K games too.

Per Chad, source files are gone for the CCII. Hopefully pretty much a moot point once Concerto sees a wide release. :)

• Like 2

For those that have the $$$ to spend on a second device of this type. The first one wasn't cheap. :-)

Understood and agreed. The markup, especially in recent years for a used one, has been ridiculous. :-o

However, if you bought new originally from Chad, the release was well over a decade ago. Whatever money one may have spent originally for it, spanning over anywhere between 10-12 years, people (hopefully) got their bang out of every buck. :)

Regardless, with the disclaimer that I take no responsibility and can provide no support for the following, in respects to files and archive/web records as is (/was), here is everything, including source files, I evidently had archived for the CC II.

Cuttle Cart 2.zip

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Junk Yard Dog is a mess. It could have been another Mario or Bonk, but the game overall is sloppy physics and poor level design.

Ahh Scrapyard Dog.

I think this game gets an excessively bad rap. It definitely needs polish (ie. the jumps are way too unfair at times), but the graphics are good, the sound isn't bad, there's a lot of detail, lots of hidden levels.

I would never presume to call it a classic. But I've also heard it referred to as "total crap" and "the worst game ever on the system". And I don't think that's remotely fair.

I think it's entertaining, if a bit too hard. Back in 'the day' there was often the question as to whether the 7800 could even technically handle a "long side scroller" like this. And on that level, I think it succeeded as a proof of concept nicely.

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

I find scrapyards dogs graphics better than mario and way more detailed. If it was easier and the fun element turned up would have been a great game.

Nothing bests Super Mario Bros. Except perhaps SMB 3 or World... :P

Truthfully competitors had epic trilogies of platformers. Sega had Sonic. Hudson had Bonk on the Turbografx. Atari had Scrapyard Dog. Honestly there are many NES platformers considered lackluster that play better than scrapyard. Compared to any of their competitor's flagship mascots, Mario, Sonic, or Bonk, Scrapyard dog pales in comparison, yet it was the best side scrolling platformer the 7800 has to offer.

• Like 1

Nothing bests Super Mario Bros. Except perhaps SMB 3 or World... :P

Truthfully competitors had epic trilogies of platformers. Sega had Sonic. Hudson had Bonk on the Turbografx. Atari had Scrapyard Dog. Honestly there are many NES platformers considered lackluster that play better than scrapyard. Compared to any of their competitor's flagship mascots, Mario, Sonic, or Bonk, Scrapyard dog pales in comparison, yet it was the best side scrolling platformer the 7800 has to offer.

I just don't see it that way. Sonic and bonk are both 16 bit. When I play scrapyard dog I see a superior game in the making to nes part 1 mario but needed work. Lot of woulda coulda on the 7800.

Playing games like ninja golf with the large colorfull sprites(without flicker) makes me think with more 3rd party help things would have been different.

Bentley's graphics with the colorful sprites and the scrolling proves that again. Imagine a team of programmers making a 7800 game like nintendo had and the possibilities are endless.

• Like 4

I just don't see it that way. Sonic and bonk are both 16 bit. When I play scrapyard dog I see a superior game in the making to nes part 1 mario but needed work. Lot of woulda coulda on the 7800.

Playing games like ninja golf with the large colorfull sprites(without flicker) makes me think with more 3rd party help things would have been different.

Bentley's graphics with the colorful sprites and the scrolling proves that again. Imagine a team of programmers making a 7800 game like nintendo had and the possibilities are endless.

Of course the homebrews rock. There was a certain lack of effort on Atari's part back in the day. It's like they though it would sell itself.

• Like 2

The graphics are pretty damned good for scrapyard dog.

Level 3 Reminds me kind of like Nintendo's Tom and Jerry game.

I agree. I thought it looked great, animated great, scrolled great, and had tons of detail and variation in level design and bonus areas. This is why I get riled up whenever I hear how "crappy it is". And yes, I had an NES and SMS (Alex Kidd in Miracle World baby!)

That's not to say I think it's the greatest game of the genre by any stretch. As platformers go, I'd probably give it a C+, with excessive difficulty being my biggest gripe.

But in an era where people didn't think the system could pull off a game like that, it proved the point well enough.

• Like 3

couple of questions and pardon me if these have been answered elsewhere - will there be an .a78 release of this? and will it run with music of any kind while using emulation or a concerto cart? I'm not sure if this is XM only or not. Either way, beyond impressed and it is Amazing!

Edited by funknflow5200