IGNORED

3D Printing Needs

Toucan

I just thought of this. My new job involves managing 3D Printers and we have some very high quality ($25,000) printers here. It just hit me that maybe some TIers need some things 3D Printed. If so, I could help. Is there any interest at all in having 3D Printed items made? The only thing is that I would need to have the model pre-rendered for printing, as I am not good at using the modeling software (at least not yet as I am just starting at the job). I was thinking that if someone has the know how on how to create a 3D model then I might be able to print the item out for you (note that the final file format needed is an .stl file, but I might be able to use some of the software (like Fusion 360) to create an .stl file from a model. Just something I thought I would trow out there to the community.

The only cost involved would be the cost of the material plus shipping to those interested. It would be printed in ABS plastic (choice of red, white, or blue). I also have some smaller 3D Printers that are also good, but use PLA. The results are not as good as the $25,000 printers that use ABS but there are more color options for these (blue, neon green, yellow, orange, purple, gold, and red). Note that on these cheaper machines ($3000 machines) they would not be precision accurate like the higher end models. So if you need a screw hole with a screw that will fit into it, you would have to stick with the top notch printers.

Nano PEB Case Order List:

All orders will be printed in the order that they were received. If you do not see a color selection by your name, then let me know what color you would like to have in a PM.

Color Options: Black, White, Ivory (an off white), Yellow, Tangerine (Orange), Blue, Red, and Olive Green (see post 29 for what colors would look like)

Cost for a Nano PEB case:

$11 + shipping

$13 + shipping for black/silver cases

• schmitzi - 3 Black/Silver [Pending]
  • sparkdrummer - 2 Black [Pending]
  • Iwantgames:) - 1 Black, 1 Ivory [Pending]
  • --- Ω --- - 1 Black/Silver [Pending]
  • arcadeshopper - 2 Black/Silver, 2 Black [Pending]
  • rhcocker - 1 Black [Pending]
  • fimbulvetr - 1 Black [Pending]
  • retango - 1 Black/Silver [Pending]
  • 99er - 1 Black [Pending]
  • fandenivoldsk - 1 Black [Pending]

Edited by Toucan
  • Like 3

Well, I have access to Fusion 360 which can create STL files. If you have CAD software I can probably take that design and make an .stl file. Also, there's a program called 123D Design (http://www.123dapp.com/design) that is free and downloadbable where you can build your own 3D Objects and save them to an STL file.

Edited by Toucan
  • Like 1

I have STL files for cartridge cases. The folks at the Faire saw what the results look like when done on printers at Shapeways. I might want a bunch of these, Toucan--especially as this is a much better price-point than Shapeways offered me! :)

My question is this: is there any chance you could make me a Parker Brothers case mold? I am interested in making one for the Tutankham prototype board. The board is longer than a normal cart, so it would be an extended PB case. I could take measurements of it if you think you could whip one up.

• Like 1

Check this out. Christmas ornament perhaps?

WP_20141221_11_35_45_Pro_preview_feature

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:613894

That's really neat. The quality on these machines I have should exceed what you see in that picture on that site. It would all be done in white if I used the good printers ($25,000 printers) and then you could just paint the two parts silver and black. Since I have no black or silver for the high end machines this is the best way. Probably just dip the plastic in a cup of silver and black paint or use one of those paint markers since it's small. I could also enlarge it to any size you would want as well if it's too small. Might make a nice Christmas ornament as I could add a little loop to the top!

Edited by Toucan
  • Like 3

I knocked this out pretty quickly. Still need to get the exact dimensions and tweak the model, but the overall shape shouldn't change all that much, unless a snap type feature was used to join the halves (instead of screws). I'm not sure how easy the on/off switch would be to get to, or how visible the LED's would be.

post-40076-0-05727800-1447117660_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

amazing. +2 for me please :)

I think I have one of each NanoPEB-Type, would be a strike to get housing(s for all....)

Maybe it is possible to have one 3D-print for all types ? perfect for ArcadeShopper

I will have a look on them at the weekend, to see the differences....

• Like 1

I knocked this out pretty quickly. Still need to get the exact dimensions and tweak the model, but the overall shape shouldn't change all that much, unless a snap type feature was used to join the halves (instead of screws). I'm not sure how easy the on/off switch would be to get to, or how visible the LED's would be.

When you have the dimensions finalized let me know and I'll run a model and send it to you. If it matches your needs, then I can start taking "orders" so to speak for all that want one. They could be done in red, white, or blue, so that would be the options for those interested in it (as I think using the good printers would be the only way to go for a nice looking case).

• Like 2

When you have the dimensions finalized let me know and I'll run a model and send it to you. If it matches your needs, then I can start taking "orders" so to speak for all that want one. They could be done in red, white, or blue, so that would be the options for those interested in it (as I think using the good printers would be the only way to go for a nice looking case).

Wow, this might actually happen. Keep it going guys!

I should have something later this week. I'm not sure if a screw together design is Ok, or if it needs to snap together to allow easier removal of the flash card.

Here's what I have so far. It's not very pretty, but it's functional. Any thoughts about using screws to retain the cover? Snaps would make it much easier to remove the flash card, but might take some development to get a durable and user friendly snap. Screws are pretty much a no-brainer to implement.

post-40076-0-05568100-1447631492_thumb.jpg

post-40076-0-67890100-1447631498_thumb.jpg

• Like 1