IGNORED

Service Offered: Repair/Capacitors/Upgrades for Atari Lynx and Game Gear

cowdog360

All, I've been working on a lot of portable consoles lately, and have decided to offer repair/upgrade/recapping services. If you have an Atari Lynx or a Game Gear that isn't quite working like it is supposed to, these services can help.

For the Lynx, the caps are pretty reliable, but they are getting old, so it's not a bad idea to future proof. At a minimum, I recommend replacing the Q11/Q12 power MOSFET and the D13 zener diode. These are the most common failure points that can fry a Lynx. I'm doing these rather than doing the 5V regulator mod (although if you want it, I'll still do it, but I don't think its necessary anymore).

For the Game Gear, you pretty much are guaranteed to need new capacitors at this point. The originals leak, and this causes Low/No sound, poor video display, and even no power on at all. Cap replacement on these is a bit tedious, but easily accomplished.

All services include a basic cleaning, and care of your portable. If there is something wrong beyond these base services, I can let you know what I can/can't fix.

Atari Lynx Services:

New Power MOSFET/Zener Diode Only: $5

Recapping and high efficiency MOSFET and Zener Diode: $40 (recommended)

LCD Upgrade and new high-efficiency MOSFET/Zener Diode: $110 for McWill LCD Screen, $50 for install, additional $20 for VGA port installation (currently working on a new solution for this)

Lynx II Only: 8 Ohm Speaker Upgrade: $6 (louder, and poly cone so resistant to water/beverage damage!)

Lynx II Only: New Flex Circuit and Silicone Buttons - $20 (replaces all original buttons and contacts for like new gameplay)

Game Gear Services:

NOTE: Due to the time constraints right now, I'm not offering Game Gear services.

Recapping: $40

LCD Upgade: $105 for McWill LCD Screen, $50 for install, additional $20 for VGA port installation.

Shipping/Payment:

Shipping would be covered by the owner. Payment would be due upon completion of work via PayPal.

Service Turnaround:

I'm located on the west coast in the US in Vancouver, WA. I should be able to get most jobs done within a few days, although this is a hobby for me so sometimes life gets in the way. I'll let you know when things take longer. I generally don't start jobs until I have all the parts on hand. I don't stock lots of the McWill screens, so as I run out, there can be a delay of several weeks in getting more ordered.

References:

You can check out pictures of my work on my photobucket here: http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/cowdog360/library/Atari%20Lynx%20Repairs?sort=3&page=1

You can also see reviews in this thread from customers. Thanks again for letting me work on your systems!

Thanks!

-Aaron

Edited by cowdog360
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cowdog360 went above and beyond on service to my Lynx II. He installed my McWill LCD w/ a custom "stealth" vga out, did a recap, voltage regulator upgrade and new speaker. He had it back in the post in just a few days. I played it all weekend and it is flawless. Truly, it has breathed new life into the Lynx. The games look and play great!

Thanks, Aaron!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a refurbished lynx 2 from cowdog360, it was very well packaged, arrived very quickly, and most importantly everything looked brand new and worked great! He was very friendly and accommodating throughout the process and I won't hesitate to go back to him for more in the future. :) Thanks!

• Like 1

All, I've been working on a lot of portable consoles lately, and have decided to offer repair/upgrade/recapping services. If you have an Atari Lynx or a Game Gear that isn't quite working like it is supposed to, these services can help.

For the Lynx, the caps are pretty reliable, but they are getting old, so it's not a bad idea to future proof. At a minimum, I recommend replacing the Q11/Q12 power MOSFET and the D13 zener diode. These are the most common failure points that can fry a Lynx. I'm doing these rather than doing the 5V regulator mod (although if you want it, I'll still do it, but I don't think its necessary anymore).

For the Game Gear, you pretty much are guaranteed to need new capacitors at this point. The originals leak, and this causes Low/No sound, poor video display, and even no power on at all. Cap replacement on these is a bit tedious, but easily accomplished.

All services include a basic cleaning, and care of your portable. If there is something wrong beyond these base services, I can let you know what I can/can't fix.

Atari Lynx Services:

New Power MOSFET/Zener Diode Only: $5

Recapping and New Power MOSFET and Zener Diode: $40 (recommended)

LCD Upgrade: $105 for McWill LCD Screen, $40 for install, additional $20 for VGA port installation

8 Ohm Speaker Upgrade: $6 (louder!)

Game Gear Services:

NOTE: Due to the time constraints right now, I'm not offering Game Gear services, but I can sell you a McWill LCD if you need one.

Recapping: $40

LCD Upgade: $105 for McWill LCD Screen, $50 for install, additional $20 for VGA port installation.

Shipping/Payment:

Shipping would be covered by the owner. Payment would be due upon completion of work via PayPal.

Service Turnaround:

I'm located on the west coast in the US in Vancouver, WA. I should be able to get most jobs done within a few days, although this is a hobby for me so sometimes life gets in the way. I'll let you know when things take longer. I generally don't start jobs until I have all the parts on hand. I don't stock lots of the McWill screens, so as I run out, there can be a delay of several weeks in getting more ordered.

References:

You can check out pictures of my work on my photobucket here: http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/cowdog360/library/Atari%20Lynx%20Repairs?sort=3&page=1

You can also see reviews in this thread from customers. Thanks again for letting me work on your systems!

Coming soon, I'll have the McWill screens, cap kits and services up on my new website http://nwretrorepair.com

Thanks!

-Aaron

Do you have a Lynx unit for sale with the new screen?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a refurbished Lynx ][, and I just want to say that it was the cleanest, most beautiful Lynx I've ever seen. Well worth the money spent! Did not get the upgraded screen, but the one in this unit is pretty damned impressive. Would buy again from Aaron! Nice work!

• 1 year later...

I bought a refurbished lynx 2 from cowdog360, it was very well packaged, arrived very quickly, and most importantly everything looked brand new and worked great! He was very friendly and accommodating throughout the process and I won't hesitate to go back to him for more in the future. :) Thanks!

This is what I am looking for.......if you get another, keep me in mind!!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...