IGNORED

It's Megadrive! Mega. Drive.

helderuto

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe we can start a new naming trend. Instead of the video game console "generations" on Wikipedia, we could group hardware by the size of their games.

Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex, Odyssey 2, NES, Master Ststem etc would be KiloDrive

Genesis, Turbo16, SNES, Jaguar, PlayStation, Saturn, N64 etc would be (the "real") MegaDrive

PS2, PS3, Xbox, xb360, GameCube, Wii, etc can be GigaDrive

We aren't there yet, but maybe we can make Wii U, Ps4, and XBone honorary first members of the TeraDrive club.

Mega Drive is cooler sounding in retrospect, but I like the US graphics and colors on the system better. The purple on the euro systems is a bit muchfor me. If only Sega had stuck to a unified marketing program..

Purple?

That's the Jap version.

Euro Megadrive feature a white band :

Sega_Mega_Drive_PAL.jpg

• Like 1

We can always go the 'clueless parent' route:

2006-present: everything is 'xbox'

1995-2006: everything is 'playstation'

1985-1995: everything is 'nintendo'

1972-1985: everything is 'I remember those! My friends and I used to play all the time!'

I love it when they would mix them up, like Sega Playstation or the new Nintendo Xbox.

I love it when they would mix them up, like Sega Playstation or the new Nintendo Xbox.

I once read a post online from a guy who worked at Gamestop a few years back, and had someone come in and- quite seriously- ask for a GameStation X. How they managed to get all 3 combined, he never figured out.

Another guy had a mom freak out because he wouldn't sell her Mario for the Playstation. Clearly the issue was him hoarding the game for his friends, not that her 8 year old got the system wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

In Brazil Sega Mega Drive was also renamed the Mega Drive "II" too coincide with the Sonic game before the resized USA, JPN, PAL system versions. So are version 2 is there version 3. All in all there are 5 versions, USA Sega Genesis, Japan Sega Mega Drive, Korea Samsung Mega Drive, Brazil (TECTOY) "Sega" Mega Drive and (PAL) Europe Sega Mega Drive....

They all look different so they can be counted as different systems.

Edited by Draikar

Genesis ------> "To-MAY-toe"

Mega Drive --> "To-MAH-toe"

I do use the Mega Drive name when talking about the system in Europe or Japan, but otherwise I grew up calling it Genesis so...

BTW, it was Atari Corp. that came up with the Genesis name when Sega approched them to distribute in North America. But of course Jack Tramiel blew it off...

BTW, it was Atari Corp. that came up with the Genesis name when Sega approched them to distribute in North America. But of course Jack Tramiel blew it off...

Is that true? I've also heard that Nintendo approaced Atari about distributing the Famicom in North America... wow...Jack Tramiel was... not very good at his job?

• 3 weeks later...