IGNORED

New XBO Experience

WestofHouse

It officially launches tomorrow, November 12. I'm more excited about it than I should be. Thought I'd start a thread for comments, tips, and bug reports for it.

I'm looking forward to the new interface, which is supposed to be much faster than the current one, and I'm also happy to be getting Cortana. Backward compatibility is a great bonus, too.

I fired up my XBO before leaving for work this morning so I could start the download for the EA Access trial of Star Wars Battlefront, and lo and behold the new interface was already there! They must have pre-loaded it and had it ready to activate on today's date.

It took me a minute to figure out how to get to "Games and Apps.". Scrolling is now vertical instead of horizontal, with charms on the left, much like Windows 10. It will take some time getting used to.

Aside from the spatial shock, my only observation is that navigation was s...l...o...w. There was a big delay between button presses and reaction from the console. I'm hoping a restart will fix it since Microsoft's biggest claim about the new interface is that it is faster, but I didn't take time to do that this morning.

Edited by WestofHouse

It was probably loading in new elements still. It's definitely not slower than the previous interface.

While it is indeed a more vertical interface, there are still plenty of horizontal elements, so you will ultimately end up scrolling in both directions (use the triggers to help with that, of course).

Downloaded the update. Seems about on par before, speed-wise. Some of the features (like the Manage Games and Apps section) still look the same as before. I was hoping they would have improved that or at least given greater flexibility.

My concern is that I can't find 360 downloads that are backwards compatible. I haven't tried a disc yet, but it was told that your compatible XBLA titles would automatically appear in your "Ready to Install" queue. However, they do not.

Downloaded the update. Seems about on par before, speed-wise. Some of the features (like the Manage Games and Apps section) still look the same as before. I was hoping they would have improved that or at least given greater flexibility.

My concern is that I can't find 360 downloads that are backwards compatible. I haven't tried a disc yet, but it was told that your compatible XBLA titles would automatically appear in your "Ready to Install" queue. However, they do not.

BC was a separate update that began rolling out at 3:00pm EST. No word on how long it will take for all consoles to get it.

Xbox Support posted this link on Twitter with some videos introducing the new features and tips and tricks.

BC was a separate update that began rolling out at 3:00pm EST. No word on how long it will take for all consoles to get it.

Xbox Support posted this link on Twitter with some videos introducing the new features and tips and tricks.

Hm, OK..

I did my update around 11AM EST. However, I just popped in Gears of War to see if it would work and it did. Compatibility seems solid and I am glad it goes straight into the game--no 360 dashboard to be found.

OK, I just checked again and the compatible downloads I have on my account do indeed appear in my "Ready to Install" list. I guess MS just had to flip a switch or something (probably at 3PM like WestofHouse stated) because no further updates were required for them to appear.

It was probably pre-installed on your 360 and you've never actually downloaded it. Go to Xbox.com and "buy" it. It is free. It should show up after that. You may have to quit and restart "Games and Apps" before it shows up.

That one worked except there's still a few others that say "bundle only". Wolfenstein 3D and Lode Runner to be exact. I tried going to my purchase history via the website but it only re-downloads them to a 360 machine. Not a huge deal. I probably won't ever unhook my 360 but still kind of a bummer some on my list are not available to me.

I still find it slow and have the same input issues. I'm about to boot it off the entertainment center.

You obviously shouldn't be having those issues. Worst case, restore your system to factory settings. That should clear up any issues, and it's really not a major deal getting everything back. The only significant thing you'll have to do (besides having it redownload anything the first time that's not on external storage) is re-input your TV, cable system, and sound system control settings.

If some of your digital content is transferred to the Xbox One, can you still play it on your 360?

Nothing is transferred. It's a universal account system. You have one pool of games for a single account and it doesn't matter where you access them from. For instance, we have three Xbox 360s and two Xbox Ones, and all of the games are accessible as long as I'm logged into my account.