IGNORED

Who will be the next hardware maker to exit the market?

Rick Dangerous

Who will be the next hardware manufacturer to exit?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next hardware maker to exit the business?

• Microsoft
    • Nintendo
    • Sony

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If that's the case, this year's E3 is going to be pretty interesting. That said, I wonder what they'll show. Is it going to be a hardware reveal? Tech demos? Proper games? I haven't been keeping track of Nintendo news in a while.

Yeah and hopefully they don't skip the e3 presentation this year in favor of a treehouse reveal. A couple years ago they skipped e3 and it hurt them greatyly. Nintendo needs to pull out all the stops. But still support Wii-U with fresh games for at least another year. Please don't let it stagnate. And I think Zelda U should dual release on Wii-U and NX kind of how Twilight Princess did with the Game Cube.

Yeah and hopefully they don't skip the e3 presentation this year in favor of a treehouse reveal. A couple years ago they skipped e3 and it hurt them greatyly. Nintendo needs to pull out all the stops. But still support Wii-U with fresh games for at least another year. Please don't let it stagnate. And I think Zelda U should dual release on Wii-U and NX kind of how Twilight Princess did with the Game Cube.

I suspect that it will be released for both, but it may depend how far along it is in development as the next system is likely to involve a drastic change in architecture. Not doing both would probably piss off just enough people to be a bad PR move by nintendo.

• Like 1

I don't think Nintendo will have its own E3 press conference if that's what you mean. If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo has had its own thing for a couple of years now. They focus on Nintendo Direct and as far as I know it's been really successful to Nintendo because it allows them to deliver news to both the press and its audience directly (well, that's their motto after all.)

Nintendo has done a Nintendo Direct for the past three E3's in lieu of doing a presentation on-site.

People need to keep in mind though that they never said that they'd even unveil this thing in 2016. All they ever said is that we'd learn more about it this year. E3 could quite possibly come and go without much of a word from Nintendo on the NX.

When there is an NX release, I believe it won't be this year, possibly 2017 during the holiday season. However, it's all speculation at this point. I love my 3DS and would like another slew of games or so to be released on it before it starts to wan. Like anything else, it'll be fun to collect for in the near future. Not that prices on their 1st-party releases will come down, mind you.

When there is an NX release, I believe it won't be this year, possibly 2017 during the holiday season. However, it's all speculation at this point. I love my 3DS and would like another slew of games or so to be released on it before it starts to wan. Like anything else, it'll be fun to collect for in the near future. Not that prices on their 1st-party releases will come down, mind you.

It will be released during the 2016 holiday season. There's no logical reason to have a big splash at E3 and then wait more than a year to release the system. If you're going to further depress sales of an already poor selling system in the Wii U (and a system on the downswing in the 3DS), you don't wait that long to release your next exciting platform.

It will be released during the 2016 holiday season. There's no logical reason to have a big splash at E3 and then wait more than a year to release the system. If you're going to further depress sales of an already poor selling system in the Wii U (and a system on the downswing in the 3DS), you don't wait that long to release your next exciting platform.

I'm not arguing with you, just thinking that it would take more time to put the system in place with a good selection of games. Remember when the DS was released? How poorly the lineup of games Nintendo had available? The game support just wasn't there to begin with, and it took a few months to gain speed with more games.

Nintendo has reported continued support for both the Wii U and 3DS. At 57.4 million sales for the 3DS, that's not bad and seems to be doing rather well, since competition in the portable market disappeared, leaving the 3DS ranking very well in sales for Nintendo overall. The new 3DS isn't that old, but they really need to increase the number of exclusives for the system.

There's been speculation on the release date, and 2016 isn't set in stone and hasn't been confirmed. It would be prudent, yes, but not guaranteed. However, it certainly would be prudent to release by the holidays of this year versus next year, IF they have a good line up of games to go with it, or is it not the case that the games make the console?

Edited by wolfpaw1966

I'm not arguing with you, just thinking that it would take more time to put the system in place with a good selection of games. Remember when the DS was released? How poorly the lineup of games Nintendo had available? The game support just wasn't there to begin with, and it took a few months to gain speed with more games.

Nintendo has reported continued support for both the Wii U and 3DS. At 57.4 million sales for the 3DS, that's not bad and seems to be doing rather well, since competition in the portable market disappeared, leaving the 3DS ranking very well in sales for Nintendo overall. The new 3DS isn't that old, but they really need to increase the number of exclusives for the system.

There's been speculation on the release date, and 2016 isn't set in stone and hasn't been confirmed. It would be prudent, yes, but not guaranteed. However, it certainly would be prudent to release by the holidays of this year versus next year, IF they have a good line up of games to go with it, or is it not the case that the games make the console?

It's not that the 3DS sold or sells badly necessarily, although as expected due to the changing mobile market, it won't even reach anywhere near half the sales of its predecessor when all is said and done, it's that it's an older platform at this point that the market is (naturally) tiring of. Sales having been trending down over the past few years and that decline will only continue. That's why it's not a bad idea for Nintendo to kill two birds with one stone as it were, and have the NX be the one platform that takes care of a declining mobile market and a home console that never gained any momentum.

Usually history was a reliable indicator with Nintendo, but today's Nintendo is very different from Nintendo of even relatively recent vintage. You only have to look at the initiatives into mobile and QOL to see that. There's really no scenario where they can wait until 2017 to release a new system to reinvigorate interest.

As for Nintendo stating continued support for 3DS and Wii U, they have to say that. They all say that. I'd say it's mostly lip service and we'll see even fewer titles for those platforms that we see now (probably a bit more for the 3DS than the Wii U for a variety of reasons). For a company that struggles to release enough first party software to support even two platforms, it wouldn't bode well for the NX if they now had to support three. I would suspect we won't be seeing any new titles for the Wii U by 2018, and only a select few (of probably nothing too special) in 2017.

While it's true that usually you need software to sell a platform (successes like the PS4 in its first year being an example of an exception), it sounds like there's a lot already in development for the NX, both first and third party. It would be odd for all of that development to be held off beyond this year. All signs really do point to a holiday 2016 release. Of course, Nintendo had better fix their third party support issue, or the NX will indeed have a tough road ahead.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

Yes, the third-party support has always seemed to be an issue, and hopefully as you stated, developers are hard at work for NX titles Perhaps it's due to the fact that overall, it's getting harder and harder for me to "keep up" with the new releases of consoles over the course of the years and feel "left out" because I no longer have disposable income to buy the latest and greatest that come down the pike. Perhaps all of you here, in some fashion, feel that way (hence retro gaming seems to have grown among the older gaming community).

As far as the mobile gaming area that Nintendo is exploring more vigorously now, I remember when Nintendo steered well clear of that, and seem to have no choice other to pursue that avenue for revenue now. Maybe I'm much too rigid these days for all the changes that are occurring. But like you, I see the path Nintendo must take to survive as a gaming company and miss when things were simpler and Nintendo's innovation made their approach to it unique and fun.

Speculations aside, cold hard facts are readily apparent, and I appreciate your insight into the situation. I think, overall, things have changed more than I'd like to admit on the gaming front these days. Nostalgia doesn't pay the bills.

Personally I believe Microsoft will probably spin off the XBox brand in 4-5 years

When that happen its possible for a XBox Nintendo Merger, as both will help the other weakness.

XBox never has done well in Asia, and Nintendo has had some problems in North America lately

Nonono. If Nintendo is gonna merge with another game company, it will be with someone based in the homeland, ie Sony. Mergers between Japanese and western companies are rare. Honestly a merger with Nintendo and Sony would probably kill off Microsoft or severely hurt them. I'm not sure if I'd rather see Nintendo merge with Sony or go third party to maintain control of their assets. A merger with Sony would make an underdog out of Microsoft by the start of 9th gen, and that may or may not be good for the consumer. We really don't want a "monopoly" on our hands, although that would leave the market ripe for Apple or Google to jump on the console bandwagon.

Believe Microsoft would love to spin-off Xbox brand to Nintendo since the big M makes most of its money from Businesses 2 Business and the government ( Doesn't need to focus on consumers) and it would screw with Sony at the same time

Microsoft wouldn't know how to properly handle Nintendo's assets. They basically ruined RARE for instance.

Microsoft wouldn't know how to properly handle Nintendo's assets. They basically ruined RARE for instance.

Depending upon who you want to believe, Rare had full autonomy to do what they wanted, so there was no "meddling" from Microsoft. Sometimes companies just aren't what they used to be due to internal, rather than external forces.

And I believe that person was suggesting that Microsoft sell the Xbox brand to Nintendo rather than the other way around, although the other way around would make more sense at this point. Nevertheless, neither will be happening in the foreseeable future, so it's really a moot point.

The first year of the NX will really give us a good idea of Nintendo's ultimate future. Either it will be successful and they'll stay the course with only minor side dalliances like the ones they currently have implemented, or it won't be successful and they'll continue to diversify, which may eventually lead to the logical conclusion of becoming a third party software developer. Right now, the PS4 and Xbox One are doing well enough where neither company has any need not to continue doing exactly what they're already doing.

The comment was strictly describing how much they have available in the bank, not what responsibility they have to their shareholders.

And I think you misread my comment regarding Microsoft. They lost money until over half way through the 360 lifespan. Get it? That means the Xbox, the original one, never made any money. So for the better part of at least ten years (2001 until at least 2012 or 13 or so) all Xbox did for Microsoft was lose them tens of millions of dollars. Not many other companies could sustain that other than Microsoft. Had nothing to do with a console becoming profitable after a couple years, like most systems, which is what I think you thought I meant. We're taking about the brand itself across nearly two whole generations.

Does that include licencing revenue? Because that's where consoles make money, rather than on hardware. That's a reason Nintendo has had some isdues. They have a harder time with the wii u in getting third party support. Meaning less revenue from licencing.

• Like 1

The Xbox brand has been profitable for quite a few years now. I'd say since 2008/2009 or so it has consistently turned solid profits and licensing revenue is a major component of that. Otherwise they wouldn't be here since after the initial hardware sale, all they'd have left is an online subscription, the occasional 1st party release, and an accessory sale once in a great while.

The money Microsoft and Sony make from each 3rd party title sold is basically their equivalent to popcorn, soda, and candy at your local movie theater. That's where the $$$$$ is that they're after.

Edited by Atariboy

Believe XBOX and PSX since PS2 have both been not very profitable till recently

From what I remember alone in 2002 there was around 230 deals to software vendors to just lockin products to one platform only, it basically canceled out the licensing revenue.

Microsoft and Sony went crazy basically trying to get a knockout

It basically changed when Sony the company started it collapse and MS recent CEO changes

• Like 1

Not only are you still dead wrong about the alleged lack of importance of 3rd party licensing fees for these two platform holders, you're still far off with your view of Microsoft's financial success.

The Xbox brand has been very profitable since turning the corner with the 2008 fiscal year (Previously, I believe they only managed a single quarter in the black when Halo 2 launched). You're still stuck with thinking from the Xbox era and the early days of the 360, despite the brand fast approaching 10 years now with impressive numbers that have often bolstered Microsoft as a whole.

I'm less familiar with Sony's financial performance, but you're not even close with the Xbox.

Edited by Atariboy

Yes, largely do Microsoft Patents, believe Samsung alone is giving Microsoft 1 billion per year for Android

It all goes into the same stack of money that game royalties goes to.

Its always been some contention on how profitable the Gaming division is since its mixed all together with the Consumer division.

Also not stating that MS can't make money off of Xbox royalties if it wanted too

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/10/lawsuit-reveals-samsung-paid-microsoft-1-billion-a-year-for-android-patents/

http://www.destructoid.com/analyst-microsoft-losing-2-billion-on-xbox-annually-265273.phtml#disqus_thread

Edited by enoofu

Microsoft certainly makes a lot of money from royalties. And as for Microsoft's financials, they break it down even further just as they always have. This allows you to get a good idea of how Xbox is doing.

For instance in their 2015 annual report, while there is a Devices and Consumer group, its financials are further broken down into the six principal segments with Computing and Gaming Hardware encompassing the Xbox brand. This segment's composition is described as "Xbox gaming and entertainment consoles and accessories, second-party and third-party video game royalties, and Xbox Live subscriptions; Surface devices and accessories; and Microsoft PC accessories".

Back in earlier years when regular profits had begun, it was Zune that was paired with it just like Surface tablets are today. Then for a while when it was the Entertainment and Devices division, Skype and Windows Phone were the only principal products besides Xbox that were handled by that particular part of Microsoft.

It's not all just mixed in and you can see the financial performance of this part of Microsoft that's dominated by the Xbox brand and confirmation of all of what I've said if you'd open an annual report or two.

Edited by Atariboy