IGNORED

Scramble - 2600

johnnywc

Heh.. you know.. when a homebrew of this quality comes out (it happens usually 2 times a year) I almost just want to download it. Then save it. Then take a drive to K-Mart or Toys'R'Us AND THEN PLAY IT. In order to simulate having to go to the store like in the 1970's.

Or simply not download it myself, make the wife download it onto SD card and then bring it home later or something - another version of "going to the store" or waiting for mommmy or grandma to bring home new games.

Yeh baby! Woot! Woot!

Buy 50 Harmony carts and flash the firmware with whatever game you want. Then put it in a mailer box and ship it to yourself. Have your spouse or S.O. hide it for six weeks before giving it to you. Boom! Just like mail order catalogs from way back when...

• Like 1

Nope, the BUS Driver is still under development...

Scramble, Space Rocks, and Stay Frosty 2 all use DPC+, which features data fetchers for faster data retrieval. These are like the ones found in the DPC coprocessor, used back in the day for Pitfall 2. DPC fetched data from ROM, DPC+ fetches data from RAM so it's much more flexible.

True, its not busstuffing.

But AFAIK the ARM still cannot idle during the kernel, because it has to provide the data to the fetchers. Correct?

True, its not busstuffing.

But AFAIK the ARM still cannot idle during the kernel, because it has to provide the data to the fetchers. Correct?

Correct. Not only that, but the ARM's busy emulating the entire cartridge: ROM, RAM, bankswitching hardware, etc - even for the simplest 2K game. Most of its time is spent in a loop monitoring the address bus to determine when the 6507 is requesting data from the cartridge port.

I finally got around to playing this on my Harmony last night. Call me impressed! Game is crazy addictive and I think I like this one even better than PMP's 7800 port! :lust:

I made it entirely to the last area before getting reamed in the base. There is a hard drop through a tiny room followed by four fuel tanks blocking a narrow corridor. I die here every time... :P

Anywhoo, definitely looking forward to the cart release! :grin:

That's why I said it is still being worked on. Hang in there, it gets even better.

Would you expect anything less from Champ Games? :D

Novice / Standard / Advanced are balanced out better.

I could not finish the stage in Standard, but when I tried Novice, I went through the capture end stage twice in one game.

I finally got around to playing this on my Harmony last night. Call me impressed! Game is crazy addictive and I think I like this one even better than PMP's 7800 port! :lust:

I made it entirely to the last area before getting reamed in the base. There is a hard drop through a tiny room followed by four fuel tanks blocking a narrow corridor. I die here every time... :P

Anywhoo, definitely looking forward to the cart release! :grin:

• Like 2

ARGH ! ... this time I really prefer mine !

I thought it had to be held a contest for that... so I made this layout, since the 1st or the 2nd day I tried the game.

attachicon.gifScramble(Arcade)_box_NTSC.jpg

Both covers are nice, but I like Albert's final version better. Gray borders are such wasted real estate. Ditto for label arts that don't use the full rectangle. I think Atari only did it that way bitd for branding and because it was cheaper to print. Also you should have posted it back when you first made it. I think the last label contest was for Space Rocks Star Castle??? :P

http://atariage.com/features/contests/StarCastle/

Anyway I got stacks of 2600/7800 homebrews, some with borders, some without, so it is what it is.

I thought it had to be held a contest for that... so I made this layout, since the 1st or the 2nd day I tried the game.

It's up to the author of a particular game whether to have a contest or not. Even then, contest entrants must use original artwork - not repurposed flyer artwork.

• Like 1

Both covers are nice, but I like Albert's final version better. Gray borders are such wasted real estate. Ditto for label arts that don't use the full rectangle. I think Atari only did it that way bitd for branding and because it was cheaper to print. Also you should have posted it back when you first made it. I think the last label contest was for Space Rocks Star Castle??? :P

http://atariage.com/features/contests/StarCastle/

Anyway I got stacks of 2600/7800 homebrews, some with borders, some without, so it is what it is.

I understand that you do not like grays borders :P . To me they're fine 'cos I like SIlver Label templates which Atari gave us for many years... it's just a "back to the Past but with new wonderful stuff inside" !
Oh, nooooooope, why should have I posted it back ? I only sent a "sketch" to John when we PM'ed during my "beta-testing" and just after this post:

It's up to the author of a particular game whether to have a contest or not. Even then, contest entrants must use original artwork - not repurposed flyer artwork.

Yes, but don't get angry, Nathan... I think that ALL "Arcade-Series" VCS games should have their original arcade artworks, that's all.

I am always irritated why people want to restrict labels, boxes etc to the old layouts and graphics.

New ideas keep the system alive!

Oh, it seems I made a nice "three-in-a-row" today, that's fine :-o