IGNORED

The Video Game Homebrew Crash of 2016

Andrew Davie

Reminds me of this:

Shoot-'Em-Up Construction Kit

That probably is what Maiki was referring to. However, in the years since release, people have hacked SEUCK to death, so you can now design horizontally scrolling shooters (it was vertical only), add proper title screens, proper powerups, background music and more. No one really makes a SEUCK game using the original 1987 utility, they use the modified up the wazoo spiffy version instead, and add their own bits ON TOP of that afterwards.

Just even trying to plan out developing a game - and I'm one of those port all the things types - I get wedged because I very quickly find myself over my head because if it's not close to arcade-perfect it feels like a waste :/, but everyone says I'm too hard on myself.

Please, don't put yourself under too much pressure!

You don't have to compete with other releases, just do as YOU want it to be. And if that's too much, try an iterative approach. Do some intermediate releases to get feedback and encouragement. I always design the kernel first, hoping that I do not have to change it too much later. Its limits often automatically define what can be done and what compromises you have to make.

• Like 1

I suppose... And you'd think it'd be simple to port a game like the game I want to port, being how primordial it is, but eh... my perfectionism crushes me, since I feel like it's not gonna be right unless I disassemble either the original version, or the MSX version which is already better suited to the screen resolution of a console (well, 7800)...

And it's not like the game's really anything special. I mean, there's more complex games than Warp Warp on the 2600 (Tanks But No Tanks, which feels similar to Tank Command from the same company and on similar hardware...)

A small poster (10" x 14") is included with the game.

..Al

Excellent. A large poster would also be something I'd pay extra for

LOL, no, but I'm glad to ship anyone a poster in a tube if they want to pay for the tube and shipping. I'll even include a free Space Rocks poster, and that one is larger (18" x 24") and is also beautiful.

..Al

I'll be doing that...

Those dogs are probably made out of parts of the turkey you may not want to be eating anyway. How about switching to roadkill? People can get exercise just looking for it, which is healthy, and some of it will be fully cooked by the scorching hot pavement during the summer months, so it will be ready to eat right on the spot. Just rip off the fur or feathers and have a low-salt snack.

:woozy:

I like it. Thank you. Now that is the way to give constructive feedback. Making a clapper type controller may be more effort than I want to put into it though.

But if it did happen it would need to be called something else. Maybe snapper controller?

You don't build a clapper controller. You install the "clapper" as a microphone built right into the cartridge. I would pay money for that! :idea:

One for the ladies. I give you 'Hello Blocky'. Endless hours of fun await as you change her bow color with the fire button.

This is amazing. I love the colors and the position of the bow and how the bow is actually smaller than blocky. Also the control is excellent. You can press the button once or hold it down to prevent fatigue. I don't know how you pulled it off but this is a masterpiece.

While the light bulb could be very functional, I think it's greatly lacking in a scenic mountain view with a beautifully rendered skyline. :)

So many good ideas about the light bulb. I may have to do a series and / or custom carts.

I have been working on a game where (insert group name here) changes the light bulb but I can't figure out how to make it work without at least three controllers.

I think pet rock is still leading though. It is the only one that got a Nozer repro made.

Edited by SIO2

I suppose... And you'd think it'd be simple to port a game like the game I want to port, being how primordial it is, but eh... my perfectionism crushes me, since I feel like it's not gonna be right unless I disassemble either the original version, or the MSX version which is already better suited to the screen resolution of a console (well, 7800)...

Well, then go for the atari 2600 as a target platform. At least you'll know that it won't be the same as the arcade but instead, a remake/demake.

• Like 1