IGNORED

The Video Game Homebrew Crash of 2016

Andrew Davie

Personally, I've always wished fewer homebrews would use the old label template.

Only a small percentage of the 2600 homebrews sold in the AtariAge Store are modeled after Atari's labels. I just went through ~90 homebrews, and 14 of them use an Atari-style label (and some of those more loosely than others). Many of the 5200 and 7800 labels follow Atari's style, though.

..Al

• Like 2

Only a small percentage of the 2600 homebrews sold in the AtariAge Store are modeled after Atari's labels. I just went through ~90 homebrews, and 14 of them use an Atari-style label (and some of those more loosely than others). Many of the 5200 and 7800 labels follow Atari's style, though.

..Al

I knew the number on the AtariAge store was pretty small, but it's higher other places. I really appreciate the effort that goes into creating a unique look, like the original template the 2 Champ Games releases use or labels like Crazy Balloon or Juno First that have their own "look" but also look like they could have been released in 1982. I also really like the art for Blinky Goes Up.

• 1 month later...

Wait? Better tools have lowered the barrier-to-entry and now game developers have to work harder to compete for an ever smaller slice of the pie?

Welcome to every game platform ever.

I just wish more people who choose the easier way (or have to use the easier way because of learning disabilities) would use some of the time they are saving to polish their games. For example, there shouldn't be glaring bugs that people notice soon after they start the game. A programmer doesn't have to be a perfectionist, but he or she should have some standards and maybe some ideals or guidelines.

• Like 3

I just wish more people who choose the easier way (or have to use the easier way because of learning disabilities) would use some of the time they are saving to polish their games. For example, there shouldn't be glaring bugs that people notice soon after they start the game. A programmer doesn't have to be a perfectionist, but he or she should have some standards and maybe some ideals or guidelines.

It's the standard race to the bottom. It's why developers move from platform to platform to platform trying to make a living. I know for fact that current push for VR has less to do with developers actually liking to work in VR and more about the fact that there are barriers to entry and they hope to make living before the masses rush is.

But should it be the same with home brew? Isn't it about celebrating those old platforms, sharing knowledge and building a community?

Edited by fultonbot
  • Like 1

..Al

Main reason I don't particularly care for the AA labels that are modelled after the old Atari days is I stack my homebrews together on the shelf. The modern style labels clash with the Atari style labels when displayed together. think outside the box a bit. Confining the artwork to a rectangle when it can occupy the entire shell? First world problems I know. Regardless, I don't care about the labels too much as it is more about the game content therein. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So we're most of the way through May now and the only 2600 homebrew release I'm aware of so far is the Cowlitz Game Expo re-release of Ature.

Does that mean the crash actually happened?

Bullcrap. Lots of games for 2600/7800 and other consoles still in active development. Some will see release this year or the next. Several 7800 titles are queued up waiting for Hokeys.

Bullcrap. Lots of games for 2600/7800 and other consoles still in active development. Some will see release this year or the next. Several 7800 titles are queued up waiting for Hokeys.

Darn. I was hoping to pick up some of the homebrews I'm missing for four bucks each. :)

There are several in-development games I'm looking forward to. I just find it kind of funny that this year actually has been pretty quiet release-wise so far. Also, I'm not very good about adding smileys when I'm joking, which is most of the time.

$40 with the right packaging. ;)

The only "packaging" I care about is the ROM, PCB, shell, and a nice shiny label. Manuals and boxes are just extra.

Well I actually do value the manual over the box if one is provided, as with some games it is not explicit as to what to do after you plug it into the system and power on.

From now on I am only making boxes or manuals. Never both and no actual games for either.

Just no point to it. People are just too judgemental of the games. You don't often hear people saying I would have bought that if only the box had round corners or five sides or a flap in the middle or a higher resolution font.

• Like 1

So we're most of the way through May now and the only 2600 homebrew release I'm aware of so far is the Cowlitz Game Expo re-release of Ature.

Does that mean the crash actually happened?

No crash.....but it has been a slow beginning of the year for Atari VCS homebrews........... http://forums.atari.io/index.php/blog/3/entry-15-2016-atari-vcs2600-homebrews-as-of-41716/

Only 5 released (published) so far for 2016.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Batari basic gets too much unneeded flack. Yes, you can make crappy games with it, but it sure makes making great games a lot easier if you put in the effort. Ature is also a batari basic game and I'm glad I had bb to make my work that much easier. As for the price of homebrew, my game is open source, but the HW components to make a physical Atari2600 game are really expensive. So expensive that I don't have a HW copy myself! :P

Edited by beoran
  • Like 1

I think my first point regarding this issue was in 2008 and much more pronounced earlier this year.

The target audience for high priced, cheaply made games are clearly collectors. So:

Ya i was a huge homebrew/hack cart buyer and i got sick of it about 2008 and really never got another since then I have 100's of old school ones. But then there was just to many coming out every week and artificial rarity only 10-20 made when demand was higher so i just cold turkey stopped.