IGNORED

Sega's Valkyria Chronicles sequel (plus original)

cimerians

The first one was one of my favorites of the last generation. I liked the graphics already, and I wonder what an HD refresh will do for it.

It was hard, but being patient pays off in the end. I had to do some grinding with previous missions before taking on the next one.

Guess we shall see if this is brought State Side.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well I just just started this today and can't believe I missed it when it was on ps3, its Awesome! Great story and gameplay. I have barely stopped playing since I started and have made it to ch. 6 so far. Definitely worth the $29 :)

Its a hidden gem, a very good one. I thought it was pretty difficult though so I never beat the whole thing, I think I stopped around 14? Chap. 7 is brutal IMO

It deserves a proper sequel. Not the PSP release....

I made it all the way through the PS3 version, but it took awhile. I think my son gave up with Chapter 7.... I remember having to redo battles to level up before going back to it.

The PSP game pales in comparison, but it isn't too bad. I believe there was a third installment for the PSP in Japan, but I am not sure....

• 2 years later...

Bumping this topic because I'm toying with the idea of giving Valkyria Chronicles another shot with the remaster.

When I first played Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3, I enjoyed the visual style. It was also a very different kind of tactical RPG, and it was different in a fairly interesting way. I enjoyed the basic gameplay. The characters were... OK. Most of them were fairly disposable, but the mains were passable. The story was OK, but nothing special. But it was a TRPG and with me those are all about the battles (I often entirely skip the story in TRPGs, because they're often so bad).

The problems cropped up in the battles themselves. They were what I'd call "programmed". They weren't set up in such a way that you could approach them in different ways. There was one optimum way to do them with required complete foreknowledge of everything in the scenario. Playing the battle in a way different from that resulted in failure.

Probably the worst one of these was a side mission where I was supposed to defend a base from being infiltrated by any enemies. The catch was all the enemies were scouts with maxed out movement range and every single one of them were hidden. Winning the map required foreknowledge of where all the enemy scouts were hidden, because if the player missed a single one it was an automatic loss because they'd get into your base because their evasions were so high that overwatch fire was ineffective against them. There was one way to win that battle, and it was to follow a walkthrough.

I found most of the battles poorly designed and overly tedious. I gave up on the game when presented with a huge map with tons of switches I had to hit to win.

But it's been a few years. I might try to approach it with a fresh perspective, but that's not really what my post is about.

For those who have picked up and played Valkyria Chronicles 4, has Sega fixed the battles so they're not a load of bullshit? Can you actually play them like a TRPG now instead of like a very elaborate Dragon's Lair game where you have to do the same actions in a very specific programmed order?

That was really my only problem with the original game. I felt like it was a long one of those tutorials where you have to do a certain thing or you can't continue, and that was the whole game. If they've changed the battles so they're actually a battle now instead of puzzle to find the one correct solution, then I'd be interested in the sequel.

• 4 weeks later...

For those who have picked up and played Valkyria Chronicles 4, has Sega fixed the battles so they're not a load of bullshit? Can you actually play them like a TRPG now instead of like a very elaborate Dragon's Lair game where you have to do the same actions in a very specific programmed order?

No. I ran into this issue before even completing the demo. I think it's the third battle, where you meet the grenadier. I want to love these games, but I just can't.