IGNORED

French Canadian Coleco Variations

Steve Jones

I have asked c-mart this but thought I'd throw it up here in case anyone else has some info.

Does anyone know if there was ever a bilingual French-Canadian Donkey Kong Junior ?

I've never seen a pic of one but if there are F-C versions of all 7 other CV games it would make sense.

Also I have a F-C Venture which has the logo of the guy fighting the snake and the slightly larger Coleco logo in the bottom corner,
while my English only one has the smaller Coleco logo and no snake fighting dude, just the "Plays Like the Real Arcade Game" text.

These two are both the only Coleco versions I have seen,
does anyone know if there are others?

Thanks in advance, if you have any of these pics would be great too.

Cheers, Steve

My DK Jr. is all English, box and manual. I guess that's another French one to keep my eye open for.

For French Donkey Kong, does anyone know what's under the "does not play on INTV II" sticker? It's text, and I swear I can see part of the word Nintendo. But maybe it's just the standard "plays like the real arcade" text and I'm imagining things.

• 3 years later...

Can anybody give me some info on this cartridge. black, white and French label. Donkey Kong Junior -- COLECO. I can't seem to find any on the internet.

I would think that someone in the Atari 2600 forums might have some insight. Cool cart though

That is awesome! Do you have a box or manual to go with it? Do you have other pics?

The French DK jr is very interesting. It's definitely a CBS box, it says SECAM (french TV norm), but it also says compatible with Sears SVA on box and cart label (which was not available in Europe).

(to make it even more funny, my box has UK instructions inside)

post-30718-0-65804300-1557820751_thumb.jpeg

post-30718-0-85142900-1557820780_thumb.jpeg

Mine is a Canadian cart. The box it came in doesn't seem to be. It all came in a big lot that I picked up a long time ago. The box may not be original to that cart.

My other CBS boxes are written in both French and English

Canada has (or had) the SECAM TV system?

Everything sold in Canada needs to be labeled in both English and French since they are both official languages with equal status. I would imagine that this drives up the costs since all products destined for sale here (even if manufacture abroad)need to to be labeled in both languages

I've just realized that's the French CBS version of the cart and the UK CBS box not the French Canadian ones.

The DK Jr French Canadian one would be a French Canadian Colecovision box and the cart would be made by Coleco Canada like this:

attachicon.gifC7BB058D-6B38-4DE4-A936-8B1DD5F0C1C9.jpeg

but the French-Canadian Donkey Kong Jr. doesn't exist, does it?

nevermind, you have already said it in this thread

Edited by intellivotion

Everything sold in Canada needs to be labeled in both English and French since they are both official languages with equal status. I would imagine that this drives up the costs since all products destined for sale here (even if manufacture abroad)need to to be labeled in both languages

I think in the first year of a new product, bilingual packaging was not required in regions where less than 10% of the populatiom spoke one of the official languages. That's when you had the bilingual slip covers in Quebec and New Brunswick. Also, the grey market was huge where smaller retailers would get cartridges illegally from the states.

-------------

CBS cartridges in Canada would be unusual since CBS distribution rights were outside north america. It's possible coleco bought some stock from CBS. Or these cartridges found there way to canada after coleco got out of the video game business around 1985.

Mine is a Canadian cart. The box it came in doesn't seem to be. It all came in a big lot that I picked up a long time ago. The box may not be original to that cart.

My other CBS boxes are written in both French and English

The cart you have is a French CBS cart, not a French Canadian Coleco cart. Notice in my Turbo cart pic how it mentions Coleco Canada and has a Montreal address. We still have never seen a French Canadian DK Jr. I still hold out hope that it exists but its pretty strange that it was the only one that doesnt appear to have been made.