IGNORED

The Atari Xegs Cart by Cart Podcast.

David Alexander

Hurray!!! :) Our first Episode is on line for your Atari listening Pleasure. Please download it and give it a listen. We will be looking to have our podcast added to iTunes shortly.

Episode 0 http://xegs8bit.com/episodes.htm

Check out our new website http://xegs8bit.com/index.htm and drop by our Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AtariXEGS.and.8Bit.Game.Podcast/

If you have any suggestions, feedback, audio submissions, or would like a particular Xegs game reviewed we can be reached at Feedback@XEGS8Bit.com

or visit our twitter account at https://twitter.com/XEGS8bitPodcast

Hope you enjoy it, Thanks

Bill, Michael & David

• Like 6

Although it was a long episode, I found it very interesting and well presented so I made it all the way through in one sitting (and no :sleep: ). Congrats on this first of hopefully many podcasts :grin:

Just curious, will you be covering any XEGS specific hardware mods (video enhancement, ram expansion, alternative keyboard adapters [hint, hint])?

Take care guys and keep up the good work,

- Michael

• Like 1

Although it was a long episode, I found it very interesting and well presented so I made it all the way through in one sitting (and no :sleep: ). Congrats on this first of hopefully many podcasts :grin:

Just curious, will you be covering any XEGS specific hardware mods (video enhancement, ram expansion, alternative keyboard adapters [hint, hint])?

Take care guys and keep up the good work,

- Michael

Thanks for the kind words Michael especially since this is our first podcast.

Bill, Michael and I are doing this podcast is our non-existent spare time. So we are looking to people to contribute to the podcast,

Would you like to give us a hand? Have you done any of the Mods yourself?

Let us know and we will work it in to the show.

Again thanks for listening.

Edited by Protestari

I had this in my ears at work today, and enjoyed it very much. Entertaining and informative. Nice production, too... the ads and jingles and movie quotes were a bit of unexpected fun.

Looking forward to more!

Thanks so much. I did a few short segments for the Atari 5200 Super Podcast but this is my first full fledged podcast and I did all the audio editing myself so I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it.

Thanks for the kind words Michael especially since this is our first podcast.

Bill, Michael and I are doing this podcast is our non-existent spare time. So we are looking to people to contribute to the podcast,

Would you like to give us a hand? Have you done any of the Mods yourself?

Let us know and we will work it in to the show.

Again thanks for listening.

I just got back into the Atari scene this year, so other than the TK-II PS/2 keyboard mouse adapter project, the only other mod I did was to upgrade my 1200XL video.

As for giving you guys a hand, that is about all I'm good at (meaning I don't do well at public speaking).

Keep up the good work ;-)

- Michael

• Like 1

I just got back into the Atari scene this year, so other than the TK-II PS/2 keyboard mouse adapter project, the only other mod I did was to upgrade my 1200XL video.

As for giving you guys a hand, that is about all I'm good at (meaning I don't do well at public speaking).

Keep up the good work ;-)

- Michael

Michael, we plan to review 1 to 2 games per episode, and do an episode every month, so there will be lots of time to look into Mods.

Again Thanks

Are you planning on hosting this on iTunes or other podcast distribution sites? I only get a streaming version which eats up data. I listen to podcasts while out with the dog/shopping/at the gym etc

Hello Fellow Torontonian, I have forwarded your question to Michael who is handling the RSS Feed and already has applied to iTunes to get our podcast on their service .

here is a link to our Facebook page in which Michael is also updating listeners on the situation, thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/AtariXEGS.and.8Bit.Game.Podcast/?ref=hl

Edited by Protestari

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but it sounds like a great idea. The XEGS carts are a nice group -- if a little late to the dance, with quite a bit of rehashing.

Planning to cover the prototypes too?

Hi, I don't see why not since we are going to do some homebrews.

But for sure we are going to cover the XEGS carts except those that have already been thoroughly done by Robert from Play/missile Podcast.

Robert has already done a great job on Eastern Front and Flight Simulator 2 So we wont be reviewing those game but pointing the listeners to his episode.

• Like 1

Are you planning on hosting this on iTunes or other podcast distribution sites? I only get a streaming version which eats up data. I listen to podcasts while out with the dog/shopping/at the gym etc

Yep. As David said, I've submitted my feed info to iTunes. They say it could take a little as a few hours to up to two weeks. It seems iTunes needs a podcast to review before they will allow us to be on iTunes. A bit of a catch-22 there.

We do have the rss feed link but I noticed this morning it wasn't showing the link to stream the audio feed so I ran it through an RSS feed validator and it seems I have a few issues. I was doing this by hand so was doing my best guess as to how it should look by using existing examples. I guess I just hadn't gotten all of the kinks out. I'm Android so I don't exactly know how Apple works but for me, all I need is a "working" rss feed and I can download shows to listen to them offline. I hope to get a little more time tonight but if not, it might be tomorrow.

I tend to try to give updates on our facebook site. Bill manages the Twitter account and should also give people updates as soon as features become available.

Stay tuned and thanks for listening,

Michael

Here are all the ones I have on ROM. I think the only one missing here is Xenophobe, which is being actively sold at Video61 right now (with part of the proceeds still going to Fandal, who rescued the proto for the community off of eBay; it had never been seen in public before that).

There are two versions of Mean 18. The one that's labelled "Mean 18 +" is a hack by Fandal in order to improve the scenery drawing routines to make the game a little more playable. The other version is the original proto, which is quite sluggish.

Bruce Lee is claimed to be an XE Proto by Best Electronics, who is still sells them.

Best source for proto information is on Tempest's AtariProtos.com.

A video of the Xenophobe cart can be seen on YouTube: Xenophobe Proto

Bruce Lee info can be found on Best's site: Best Electronics - XE Games (just search for "Bruce Lee" on the page)

You can also get a little bit of information on Atarimania.com and here: Atari Explorer - XE Video Games (page loads slow, so be a little patient -- from WayBack Machine)

XEGS Protos.zip

Here are all the ones I have on ROM. I think the only one missing here is Xenophobe, which is being actively sold at Video61 right now (with part of the proceeds still going to Fandal, who rescued the proto for the community off of eBay; it had never been seen in public before that).

There are two versions of Mean 18. The one that's labelled "Mean 18 +" is a hack by Fandal in order to improve the scenery drawing routines to make the game a little more playable. The other version is the original proto, which is quite sluggish.

Bruce Lee is claimed to be an XE Proto by Best Electronics, who is still sells them.

Best source for proto information is on Tempest's AtariProtos.com.

A video of the Xenophobe cart can be seen on YouTube: Xenophobe Proto

Bruce Lee info can be found on Best's site: Best Electronics - XE Games (just search for "Bruce Lee" on the page)

You can also get a little bit of information on Atarimania.com and here: Atari Explorer - XE Video Games (page loads slow, so be a little patient -- from WayBack Machine)

attachicon.gifXEGS Protos.zip

Many thanks for the links and the ROMS. I notice these are car files. I will have to see if the work on my AtariMax Cartridge.

Many thanks for the links and the ROMS. I notice these are car files. I will have to see if the work on my AtariMax Cartridge.

No problem. I have the *.ROM versions too if you need those. If you're talking about an AtariMax flash cart though, for sure they won't work, as those carts only work with standard 8K and 16K ROM's. You'll need something like "The!Cart" or "Ultimate Cart" to run these ROM's on real hardware. I don't know if MyIDE II can handle these or not...

Edited by MrFish

No problem. I have the *.ROM versions too if you need those. If you're talking about an AtariMax flash cart though, for sure they won't work, as those carts only work with standard 8K and 16K ROM's. You'll need something like "The!Cart" or "Ultimate Cart" to run these ROM's on real hardware. I don't know if MyIDE II can handle these or not...

Ok can you give the ROM versions of the files. Since I have an AtariMax flash cart I will see if the The!Cart" or "Ultimate Cart" are available. Otherwise I will have to run these on some kind of Emulator.

OK, I got the rss feed on our site working. There is an RSS icon in the upper right of the page in the menu area or just use this (http://xegs8bit.com/rss/feedrss.rss).

I just tested it and you're good to stream it. I'll also need resubmit it to iTunes but that's at least one thing I got done.

Please to enjoy

• Like 1