IGNORED

Games that could use the keyboard arrow keys with REAL hardware

mytek

I tried to do a search on this both in AA and through Google without any success. But I find it hard to believe that no games were made that didn't allow for using the keyboard arrow keys instead of a joystick to move the character (or whatever?) around the screen. So hopefully all you gamers out there can scratch your heads and come up with some possibilites.

Thanks,

- Michael

Ultima?

Thanks but not exactly what I was after. Basically I'm looking for something that can respond quickly and specifically to the arrow keys in order to test out an idea I had for the mouse on the TK-II interface board.

Castle Wolfenstein and Return to CW. Well, it wasn't the arrow keys per se, but it was keys.

Hmmm... this might be a possibility, but I'll have to download it and check it out.

This would have been wonderful (great concept), but it has such a long lag before it responds to the keys, that it just isn't usable. At least not in the present form. I even tried it with the stock keyboard on my XEGS, and it was dismal.

I recall Karateka being more responsive with the keyboard than with the joystick, but I don't remember if the movement was tied to the cursor keys.

Bob

I'll have to check this out as well.

Thanks everyone ;-)

- Michael

I check the Karateka manual on atarimania.com and it uses just the right and left cursor keys to move or stop. Not sure that would be enough for what you wanted.

Bob

Yeah I saw that too when I downloaded and played it. It has a good number of key controls (not as many as Wolfenstein). But even if I remapped the actions to different mouse moves and button presses, I'm not really sure if it would work in any reasonable way. Also looking at Castle Wolfenstein's situation, and although it appears more mouse logical, I also am not hopeful that it would work all that well either.

Really too bad that ECKN(+) had such a terrible lag, because I think it would translate very well otherwise.

As far as remapping the mouse actions, this could be handled with something like SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+F1-F12 combination on the TK-II connected PS/2 keyboard which would give you 12 different possibilities (probably way more than needed, based on what I am seeing).

- Michael

Really too bad that ECKN(+) had such a terrible lag, because I think it would translate very well otherwise.

Try 'ECKN' http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=5649 - this should work better, since the keyboard input was a little bit sacrificed when introducing Touch Tablet support in the plus version....

(Drawbacks: It's not fully NTSC compatible and has some timing glitches even in PAL)

Edited by Irgendwer

Try 'ECKN' http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=5649 - this should work better, since the keyboard input was a little bit sacrificed when introducing Touch Tablet support in the plus version....

(Drawbacks: It's not fully NTSC compatible and has some timing glitches even in PAL)

Wow that version worked perfect!!!! I just had to disable CTRL for the mouse arrow sends, and I remapped the Left Button = SPACE BAR, and the Right Button = START KEY. The TK-II mouse really works very nicely with this game. Super smooth.

Now I just need to learn how to play the game :D

So this will be my first Mouse remap for the TK-II. I wonder how many other games might work? Looks like there will be a revision coming soon...

Of course this one game served the purpose I was looking for. And that was that the latest TK-II mouse implementation really has some cool possibilities, especially if software is designed to work with it.

Thanks a bunch Irgendwer!

- Michael

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the video, it confirmed what I suspected. Problem is my old brain needs to play this for a while to really get the hang of it (takes me some time to scan the screen and find the matching corners). I do see the glitching problems you mentioned and the squares are not always square shaped. Anyway this could be fixed? Or is the author no longer concerned about this older version? Since this will work very well with a TK-II it would be nice to get this working properly.

- Michael

I do see the glitching problems you mentioned and the squares are not always square shaped.

That's part of the missing NTSC compatibility and fixed in ECKN+.

Or is the author no longer concerned about this older version? Since this will work very well with a TK-II it would be nice to get this working properly.

Just for the public: I'm concerned ;) and this is clarified via PM.

Just for the public: I'm concerned ;) and this is clarified via PM.

"Ding dong me" didn't realize I had been talking to the author already :-o

Yes a plan is in action to resolve this, although it might take a little while before it takes full effect. Christian will be doing things on his end , and I'll be working on some more permanent changes on TK-II's firmware to accommodate this.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Ransack - Z, X, Return, Space

Bomber - Z, X, Shift

Unfortunately, Ransack doesn't play well on the keyboard because "keyup" events on the Atari keyboard can't be detected if multiple keys are being pressed, so Ransack assumes any new key cancels the last. This means, for example, if you are hold down "X" and then press Return or Space to fire or explode a bomb, then you will stop moving forward until you lift up and press "X" again. Really annoying. Bomber doesn't suffer as much from this problem since Shift has its own bit in SKSTAT. I should have used Shift instead of Return in Ransack as well.

Ransack - Z, X, Return, Space

Bomber - Z, X, Shift

Unfortunately, Ransack doesn't play well on the keyboard because "keyup" events on the Atari keyboard can't be detected if multiple keys are being pressed, so Ransack assumes any new key cancels the last. This means, for example, if you are hold down "X" and then press Return or Space to fire or explode a bomb, then you will stop moving forward until you lift up and press "X" again. Really annoying. Bomber doesn't suffer as much from this problem since Shift has its own bit in SKSTAT. I should have used Shift instead of Return in Ransack as well.

Yeah I noticed that the stock keyboard has like zero roll-over capability. In this regard TK-II with almost any PS/2 keyboard will give you at least 2 key roll-over, and some key combinations will be 3 key roll-over. And if you spend the money they have gamer keyboards that can go up to 7 key roll-over. So likely Ransack will work much better with a PS/2 keyboard (I'll have to test it). Too bad instead of Z and X, that the left and right arrow keys were not used instead. This would have made for a seamless fit with the TK-II mouse. Although I'm still kicking around various ways of being able to customize this, just haven't settled on anything that really makes sense yet.

Thanks for the game suggestions.

- Michael

Thank you. Is there an ATR version of this available for download?

- Michael

xxl I think I got this figured on my own. Found and downloaded makeATR and I believe I correctly made an ATR with ISORA on it. Have to wait and see when I get over to my shop a bit later and give it a test.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

Whoops! Yep. Good point. I must've had fuzzy-vision when I read that OP's post.

I think I'll be spending some time with my 800XL over the next week or so seeing if any of the games I have are keyboard-friendly.

No problem, and thanks for taking the time to make suggestions.

- Michael

Testing out these games has been very helpful, and has revealed a couple of problems with my TK-II code. Specifically that I need to have maintained key presses for several of the games I tried, instead of the micro burst sends that TK-II defaults to (works well for most things, but not so for the games). So this has been an invaluable experience which will carry over into some future code changes.

Thank you all for contributing :thumbsup:

- Michael