IGNORED

AGD Atari Game Designer development

popmilo

Agree on that Gozar. Would be really nice to use Atari as we used it in the old days.

On one hand Atari version with limited ram would force me to focus on most important stuff and prevent me from "feature creep" (try to do to much at once).

On the other hand it's much easier to make stuff work on PC (compiling scripts, gui editor, save/load files)...

So, I'll go with "simplest possible on PC" first. Sprite editor+script compiler+music&sfx.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Depends on how you define progress ;)

As every other experienced developer out there, who knows what's the best strategy for project of this complexity, who knows which things are smart to do, and which are not, I've started work on a brand new language compiler for AGD ;)

It's currently in parser phase of my python based compiler.
Here is test "example code" how I imagined it and is kinda minimal set of features a language should have.

Syntax is roughly based on Lua code used in Pico8 project.

image.thumb.png.bf2066308653e2dc2ecd3076cda77fc2.png

Right now I'm trying to do something for Abbuc this year, so don't expect any further work on this till late autumn... Real life is a hassle sometimes :)

Cheers!

11 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

By finished I mean, is there an ATR image? for some reason, Altirra doesn't play XEX correctly

Don't know about that... Any agd example I've shared here plays well in Altirra, same as in atari800....

Here is atr if there's something wrong with xex... Although it's just the same xex in atr bootable image :)

agd.atr

ps. move joystick up down to adjust number of sprites.... looking at it, it's pretty slow... 
But it's doing full redraw of entire screen plus transparent text drawing so no wonder there...

• Like 1