IGNORED

New Atari 7800 Magazine!

RetroGamer128

I find it very deceiving when people say magazine when what they really mean is a digital whatever and not a real tangible article. :(

What do you expect, the worlds most famous Sinclair Spectrum coder is involved? LIARd, did I spell that wrong?

Anybody contemplating buying this nonsense, you should go to your local homeless shelter and help somebody who actually needs help, instead of handing money to snakes.

• Like 7

What do you expect, the worlds most famous Sinclair Spectrum coder is involved? LIARd, did I spell that wrong?

Anybody contemplating buying this nonsense, you should go to your local homeless shelter and help somebody who actually needs help, instead of handing money to snakes.

Didn't realize that piece of shit was involved. Hard pass.

• Like 6

I've had a look at the preview PDF Jason and I'm failing to see why it's been sold for £3 ? For fifty pages with a possible 12-13 of the pages being scans simply lifted from 1980's video gaming magazine archives with no premastering at all other than to fill the gaps containing all the discolouring and scratches and tears of these low res scans. A colleague of mine which I do not need to mention, states that the introduction of the magazine has been directly lifted from the Homebrew Heroes magazine I produced 2 years ago, about the time I served my ties with Mr.Hawkens. Why wasn't this rewritten?

Tip to the OP: If you're going to archive articles online with vintage scans, that's one thing. Archiving data for preservation has it's purpose, whether digitally or physically. Libraries provide an excellent resource. But to charge people for the service and claim it as your own work is something entirely different.

In academic circles, we have a word for this behavior. It's called Plagarism, and it's considered a serious offense. :ponder:

• Like 7

First of all, none of the first part is even remotely true. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet.

The second part, no I am not Kieren, he was the writer on this magazine, I did more technical stuff like help with the website. I made that clear from the outset.

I did debate posting this here because I know about the frankly bizarre obsession some people on here have with him and the equally weird witch hunt against him.

At the end of the day people can believe what they like but Kieren also writes for a number of professional publications such as Retro Gamer (which has won numerous awards) and Retro Fusion, organises 2 of the biggest retro gaming events in the UK, has appeared on TV and in documentaries and does an enormous amount of work for charity. So I will leave people to make their own conclusions, I have always found him to be a stand up guy and really enjoyed working with him on this (and will contribute more to the next one) and so I don't think anyone can question the professionalism of this product and I was proud to be part of it and think that it deserves a bit more publicity.

I do agree that the exchange rate from pounds to dollars is a killer though, something we really couldn't do a lot about.

That's all nice and all but we don't support liars and frauds.

• Like 4

It seems everything I was told about this place is correct, which is a great shame, but I will answer a few of these points anyway:

1. Fake Screenshots - no idea what you are talking about and after having spoken to Kieren, he has no idea what you are referring to either.

2. Plagiarism - None of the content was taken from Homebrew Heroes and even if it was that would not be plagiarism of any sort given that a) Kieren wrote it and b) it was Kieren's magazine! Greyfox was just the designer so this is honestly one of the most bizarre things I have ever read and also the comments about the old adverts being used are just as laughable given that your own Atari Gamer magazine did the exact same thing!

3. AtariAge - With regards to this site and the magazine you should probably all be aware that a) It was approved by Albert before it was released and he is credited at the front of the magazine b) There is an advert for the AtariAge store in the magazine and c) Kieren is still a very active member of the AtariAge Facebook group, has cleared the air with Albert and I believe he also talks to him quite regularly. This magazine also got the full approval of both Curt and Marty too who are both also credited within it.

Thank you to the 30 odd people from here who have purchased the magazine and thanks for all the great feedback you have given, it's very much appreciated and encourages us to do more of these.

Peace out.

Greyfox was just the designer so this is honestly one of the most bizarre things I have ever read and also the comments about the old adverts being used are just as laughable given that your own Atari Gamer magazine did the exact same thing!

Okay just to clarify this statement

Advertisement A

"English Software " advertisement was complete recreated from scratch with brand new elements, "Homebrew Heroes" Advertisement again completely created from scratch and also to note that it wasn't Kieran Hawken's Magazine it was a join project, do you think I'd of wasted the outrageous amount of hours designing and creating the entire magazine other than the information written within the magazine, I even done two entire articles for it, so No, Kieren hawken does not own the right to Homebrew heroes, we both did! although with Kieren everything is always and was his idea, again not true, I wanted to produced a magazine that covered all these vintage consoles on behalf of RVG at the time and Kieren knows this, I approached him not the other way around.

moving on....."Atari Mania" Advertisement again created from scratch for them. "RVG Forum" Advertisement again created from scratch for inclusion within the magazine. "Self Promotion" Advertisement, yes you've guessed it. Created from Scratch for use in the magazine."Kraft Joystick" & "National Micro Centers" advertisement completely remastered and enhanced for inclusion and were not continuous placed in the magazine as page fillers, so I take it this is what you were referring to? so I think you've misrepresented the facts here fella.

as I say I wish the magazine no ill feelings, and also keep in mind, I'm been referring to what I was told and not from my own perceptive of the "Pro Gamer magazine", I don't endorse slander or Plagiarism in any context, if this is what Kieren wants to do, that's his business, I have no affiliation thank god with the streak of negativity he has formed with a vast amount of communities across the board, I wish it the very best and hope that a second more refined issue is in the works.

• Like 2

Ok, will keep this short and sweet, I should have figured you would respond.

In Homebrew Heroes you did an article on the demo scene and a an art gallery, the demo scene article was re-written/edited by Kieren and I am sure he still has all the word docs to prove that. You had NOTHING to do with any of the rest of the written content so you cannot accuse him of plagiarism - you can't rip off your own work!

Yes, you did the design for HH, but the concept was all Kieren's and he was the Editor. This is fact and I am sure the sub-editor Eugenio (TrekMD) who is a member here also can verify that. You are making a completely pointless and utterly moot point as you intially tried to claim your work had been plagiarised, which just isn't true.

So rather than claiming you have no ill feelings (when your posts are showing quite the opposite!) just stop making up silly stories and get on with your own business.

Edited by RetroGamer128
  • Haha 1

So rather than claiming you have no ill feelings (when your posts are showing quite the opposite!) just stop making up silly stories and get on with your own business.

So we're supposed to take the word of a guy with 8 posts to his name, who came here for the sole purpose of "selling" a PDF, and who registered last week, who also works with a known liar - over the word of a dozen trusted members of this board?

• Like 5

Wow just wow, I never accused this magazine using Plagiarism?, when the fuck did using a scanned magazine advertisements as Plagiarism? Sorry fella, you have me confused with somebody else and how am I having ill feelings against a poorly put together magazine arise? Ill feeling I don't have, nor do I give a rats arse about it either.

The facts as you put it, don't see me as the target or web of lies the length of the northern hemisphere do ya? Secondly listening to one side of the story from a favoured friend of yours, course your going to stand his ground, which is very decent of you as Kieren's friend, as for the re-write as you've stated from Homebrew heroes it was received not rewritten which Kieren is known for doing with other people's work regardless what they've written grammar correct or not. Fucking serious regret ever producing this fucking thing now!

I genuinely did not have ill feelings for this magazine, why would I? I have no time for Kieren or anything he's involved in, for some time now, and I expect the same from him, but doesn't mean I hate the guys guts, I've never even met him in person. I've stated he's knowledgable on things elsewhere, so the only conclusion I can see is your as paranoid and disillusion as he is. Cope on now. It's a fuck PDF magazine, not a multi-million dollar franchise.

Again take the above in whatever manner you like, but I'm being honest, I DID NOT HAVE ANY ILL FEELING FOR THIS PDF MAGAZINE!

It's like I'll never be able to give an honest opinion on anything or free speech for anything Hawkens is attached too unless it's promoting it out the door will I?

Also for the record, you don't know me (Personally) or have insight in the way I operate only by what you've been programmed to think and say, which renders you argument irrelevant and pointless, you don't see going around targeting people pacifically to make them out to be liars or otherwise do you? I have anyways been nothing more than be honest, answer all questions, promote those who deserved and most certainly never ever slandered them publicly like your friend Hawkens has. And before you got snooping, in regards to previous comments I've made about Hawkens article work for RG magazine, all point were valid and a technical merit not a personal one.

Take care and best of luck to you, I won't be responding any further to you or this post, it's extremely volitle as it is now.

Edited by Greyfox
  • Like 6

Well good luck with the magazine. I thought my magazine was niche with 95% of the coverage on pre-crash console games and golden age arcade games. I'm happy with the content that was produced but hardly anybody read it. Now you're just concentrating on the Atari 7800. Wow.

Where can I find your magazine?

Didn't realize that piece of shit was involved. Hard pass.

Yeah, somebody should make a magazine about idiots of the videogame world, who claim all sorts of things that can not be backed up. I'd buy that for a dollar. You know, expert Spectrum programmers and raving lunatics like that Gorf dude. You could sprinkle it with a little "I'll take my ball and go home, GroovyBee" types.

• Like 4

Yeah, somebody should make a magazine about idiots of the videogame world, who claim all sorts of things that can not be backed up. I'd buy that for a dollar. You know, expert Spectrum programmers and raving lunatics like that Gorf dude. You could sprinkle it with a little "I'll take my ball and go home, GroovyBee" types.

Was the reference to Groovy over the XM Project or something else?

Was the reference to Groovy over the XM Project or something else?

I dunno. Groovy Bee is a good guy and I wish he hadn't stopped making 7800 brew. Can't say I wouldn't have gotten frustrated and quit in his situation though. Hobbies are supposed to be fun but family and career and life in general should take precedence. Even legendary programmers like PMP need to take sabbaticals every now and then.

• Like 2