IGNORED

USB to Lynx power/AC connector

Trew

Is there such a thing? I just bought a connector that converts microUSB to Sony PSP Male AC... (first link below) so I can use portable power banks to charge it on the road -- but it can also be used to power the PSP as if it were on mains. This made me wonder if there was something similar with the right tip for the Lynx (something like the second link -- not sure it's the right size?). Would make it a little more portable.

I know there's the official battery pack, and that hooj PowerPak thing, but portable USB batteries are much smaller and or convenient.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-PSP-DC-Power-Jack-Plug-Male-to-Micro-Female-USB-Charger-Cable-Lead-Adapter-/401025334099?hash=item5d5ef8fb53:g:jooAAMXQVERS1Rqe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-A-to-3-5mm-Barrel-Connector-Jack-M-M-5V-DC-Power-Adapter-Converter-Cable-/400926655541?hash=item5d59174435:g:VdAAAOSwpDdVXFxa

Would this even work power-wise (I've little clue on such things).

Edited by Trew

PSP was designed to run at 5v from the power jack so it was easy to get USB to PSP power connector. Older game systems (Lynx, Game Gear, and Turboexpress) were all designed for higher power input. Internally they do run at 5v so if you can mod it and feed 5v into those spots, bypassing 5v regulator it can work but it's more work than a simple cable adapter for PSP.

USB 1.x and 2.x also only provide max 100mA which is very low. When I've checked during my repair and mod, sometimes these system can draw up to 500mA and that means you will need either AC adapter to USB that is designed for high power like iPhone or Android systems, or to use USB 3.0 and the correct chipset to enable high draw of up to 1A. A straight 5v from computer USB are capped at max 100mA without any chip for devices like USB light or USB fan.

Fair do's. I knew I'd read that the Lynx ran at 5v somewhere along the line, and that most USB power gives that, so I felt it might be possible, but seems like there's another step in the way.

I do have a massive battery with a plug outlet on it, so could plug the AC adapter into that... but that's not the portability I was hoping for (for that, may as well just splash out on a pack of AA's for the journey).

The Lynx takes a 9V input and uses some basic regulation to drop it down internally to 5V. You'd have to bypass that circuitry to get the 5V from the USB connector to where it needs to be. Another option would be to build a step-up converter to convert 5V to 9V externally so you don't have to mod any of the original lynx hardware.

One option would be to buy an adjustable step-up converter like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-DC-DC-2A-Adjustable-Step-up-boost-Power-supply-Converter-Module/291549801433?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D34577%26meid%3D3b628d48b8f94f0790d17b78ef030db8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D381374576465and adjust it for 9V output.

So, I just remembered I have this power bank that has an DC output and adjustable voltage and even a pin/adaptor that fits the Lynx (it's very snug, but fits).

http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-23000mah-portable-charger-external-battery-charger.html

If I set it to 9V, I'm not going to fry anything am I? (I tried it real quick and it works, but worried about prolonged use). There's no polarity symbol on the DC output but some googling indicates it's positive.

• 1 year later...

In case anybody is interested, it absolutely is possible to run a Lynx from a USB powerbank. I've been doing just this since reverting the 5V mod I did and replacing the transistor/zener combo with modern equivalents.

Both of my Lynxes run with when I give them at little as 5V from a wall power supply (although the stock LCD seems a bit dim at this voltage level), so I decided to make my own USB power cable.

I just took a USB charging cable and spliced a right angle jack that fits the Lynx onto one end. Even if the Lynx is pulling 400 mA, I can still get 12 hours of play time through my cheap 5.2V 2.1A 4800 mAh powerbank.

sqT4KpP.jpg

Edited by spspspsp
  • Like 2

In case anybody is interested, it absolutely is possible to run a Lynx from a USB powerbank. I've been doing just this since reverting the 5V mod I did and replacing the transistor/zener combo with modern equivalents.

Both of my Lynxes run with when I give them at little as 5V from a wall power supply (although the stock LCD seems a bit dim at this voltage level), so I decided to make my own USB power cable.

I just took a USB charging cable and spliced a right angle jack that fits the Lynx onto one end. Even if the Lynx is pulling 400 mA, I can still get 12 hours of play time through my cheap 5.2V 2.1A 4800 mAh powerbank.

sqT4KpP.jpg

Are there similar cables available online? I recently moved so don't have my stash of connectors and cables etc.

Or... maybe you could help a brother out and make/sell me one :D

So I tested this last night on my Lynx II with unmodified transistor/diode and I got to 6v, the next step down on my powerbrick was to 4.5 and it gave up below the 5v. Happy days, now I'll start messing around with usb and a Li-Ion

Edited by RestoLynx

Trew, I only had the one extra connector, otherwise I'd be happy to make you a cable. I think you can find the same one at console5.com.

RestoLynx, I'm not sure if you are meaning to say that your test worked, or that it didn't. According to OrangePhantom, the Lynx II will run on voltages down to about 4.5 V. If yours didn't work at 4.5 V, you were probably just under the threshold for working. I imagine that it will work if you use a 5.2 V supply.

See here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/247305-old-stock-lynx-vs-new-mcwill-screen-recom-power-reg-power-consumption/

• Like 1

Trew, I only had the one extra connector, otherwise I'd be happy to make you a cable. I think you can find the same one at console5.com.

RestoLynx, I'm not sure if you are meaning to say that your test worked, or that it didn't. According to OrangePhantom, the Lynx II will run on voltages down to about 4.5 V. If yours didn't work at 4.5 V, you were probably just under the threshold for working. I imagine that it will work if you use a 5.2 V supply.

See here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/247305-old-stock-lynx-vs-new-mcwill-screen-recom-power-reg-power-consumption/

4.5v on a stock Lynx 2 with original screen, and the display was only just visible. The inline diode on the input from the jack will drop 0.7v from whatever input you put into the Lynx.

But also bear in mind, running a Lynx on a higher voltage won't run the power circuit any hotter. The Lynx power circuit is a true high efficiency high frequency switching regulator. The original power circuit in the Lynx does not get hot because of how it works.

But also bear in mind, running a Lynx on a higher voltage won't run the power circuit any hotter. The Lynx power circuit is a true high efficiency high frequency switching regulator. The original power circuit in the Lynx does not get hot because of how it works.

So can we feed lynxes (1 or 2) with a 10v power supply without any issue in a longer use?

• 7 months later...

That's totally Incorrect about at Lynx needing 9v input!

The Lynx will quite happily run on much less than 9v! How do you think it runs on a set of rechargeable batteries at 7.2v!?

If you are running the stock Lynx Power Circuit, if you remove and the inline silicone diode (D11) on the circuit board (which drops 0.7v) from the input of the external jack and bridge it with solder it should be able to run at 5v. I've had a Lynx running at less. Just be aware that by removing the inline silicone diode you are removing part of the reverse polarity protection and if you get the input to the Lynx the wrong way round it will now short out the input, due to the D9 diode (and will probably blow it too with enough current) so if you do go down this route, check your wiring very carefully!

Edited by Orange-Phantom
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi,

You are totally right. 8v is fine for the Lynx. If you have a look on the SEGA Game Gear, you can also power it with 8v, but the power led will blink, that's why you may provide 9v to get rid of this.

I build such USB power adapters: they convert a 5V USB power source (such as a powerbank) able to deliver 1.6 Amps, and powers your ATARI Lynx without any modification.

If interested in buying one, have a look on ebay or on my personal e-shop (https://www.technocoma.com). On my e-shop, use this code "ATARIAGE7" to get a 7% discount.

Jerome