IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

I recently had Byte Knight complete an Ultimate Colecovision FB upgrade to my little FB unit and this thing is now a work of art. First off, I mailed my Col FB to Byte Knight on a Wednesday and received it back COMPLETED the following Wednesday. He answered so many of my rather simplistic questions without a hint that I was bothering him and give his services the highest marks,with the HDMI conversion being one of my favorites. The USB and WIFI features makes it breeze to download the many ROMs that are available. Byte Knight will return your COL FB with the original 60 FB games upgraded to HDMI of course. You can then use either the WIFI or USB options to download your ROM's and box art to your COL FB. I now have 187 ROM's and looking for more. BTW, do not discount the many fantastic looking Home Brews as many of them are top notch and very enjoyable.

Overall, a terrific service for this FB System as the games look superb in HDMI format. I hope that more of you take advantage of Byte Knight's services as you will not be disappointed in the results.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say Thank You to Todd for the upgraded Colecovision Flashback. Received mine yesterday and let my kids (3 and 9 year olds) play with it for over an hour until I had to tell them to stop :-) It's beautifully designed and brings back memories of enjoying games like Mouse Trap and Cosmic Avenger on my ColecoVision thirty years ago. The HDMI is a huge update over the standard red-white-yellow composite connection, and the Raspberry Pi's CoolCV emulator fixes the sound issues experienced in the non-modified FB. Also it's a joy to finally use the original CV controllers. The controller port sockets are now metal and look slick.

I tried many games with the emulator. It is really well done. The only issue I had was with Evolution in the second stage (the frog scene) where sometimes it would speed up. I remember the original CV had this issue too, but in the emulator it was more pronounced. Not sure if anyone else noticed this. (EDIT: I'll ask the developer about this, since it has nothing to do with the FB.)

Edited by rednakes1

• 2 weeks later...

I also want to thank Byte Knight for his superb FlashBack upgrade service. He upgraded two Flashbacks for me one Intellivision and one Colecovision. They both turned out perfect. If you're on the fence and not sure if you should get your flashback upgraded, please do you won't regret it.

Just like everyone else has been stating the setup instructions are simple and very easy to follow.

-NML32

I actually removed the memory card by using some isopropyl alcohol to loosen the glue holding the Raspberry Pi down. I got three corners loosened and then was able to lift the Pi board enough to get the microSD memory card out. I backed up the card and then re-glued the Pi with a glue gun.

I backed up the card with ApplePi-Baker on Mac, as was suggested by ByteKnight.

• Like 2

I actually removed the memory card by using some isopropyl alcohol to loosen the glue holding the Raspberry Pi down. I got three corners loosened and then was able to lift the Pi board enough to get the microSD memory card out. I backed up the card and then re-glued the Pi with a glue gun.

I backed up the card with ApplePi-Baker on Mac, as was suggested by ByteKnight.

Thanks for the info. Since I use Windows I did a search and found this article.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-clone-your-raspberry-pi-sd-card-for-super-easy-r-1261113524

I was hoping there was a way to make an image without having to open the Flashback.

Edited by NML32

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great! How much will it cost? (The new part I mean)

I'm thinking $60 shipped once I've got the main run ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Also, are we looking at a drop-in solution here? Or are these solder-on components?

Yes, it's almost plug and play - you just need a 6" USB A male to B male cable to hook up to your Pi. The board is complete with components.

• Like 2

The process of upgrading Flashbacks just got much easier! I had the designer of the Ultimate PC Interface make me a version that has the DB-9 jacks built-in and attaches to the existing PCB mounts. Let me know if you're a do-it-yourselfer and interested in one of these.

attachicon.gifIMG_2126.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_2140.JPG

Count me in for one! This is very cool. I also might be getting a Flashback upgraded so my mom can play LadyBug :).

• Like 1

I loved my upgraded flashback unit so much that I built me a retropie unit using a raspberry pie 3. The only problem with my retropie unit is you have to use usb controllers. Got a Super NES and a Genesis style controller. I have Atari 2600 & 7800, Sega Master system and Sega Genesis Nintendo NES, Super NES and Nintendo 64. Plus Mame and Colecovision.on my retropie system. All work well, but I like my upgraded colecovision joystick which I can't use on my retropie system. So I'm thinking with this DB-9 board I can build a retropie unit that will work on with my Colecovision controllers. that would be cool for Atari 2600, 7800 and mame emulators and of course Colecovision

Edited by Daverey1956

• 3 weeks later...

I recently viewed your upgrade of the Colecovision Flashback several weeks ago and I am very interested in having you do the upgrade and just purchased a Colecovision Flashback. However, I'm having problems finding where I can work with you to send the unit. I just happened on this forum after doing a Google search. Could you please let me know how to contact you? I know this probably the wrong place to do this, but so far I've not found a better method of contacting you.

I think that you're conversion is great. Currently I own an original Colecovision, however, I rather not use it.

Thanks,

I recently viewed your upgrade of the Colecovision Flashback several weeks ago and I am very interested in having you do the upgrade and just purchased a Colecovision Flashback. However, I'm having problems finding where I can work with you to send the unit. I just happened on this forum after doing a Google search. Could you please let me know how to contact you? I know this probably the wrong place to do this, but so far I've not found a better method of contacting you.

I think that you're conversion is great. Currently I own an original Colecovision, however, I rather not use it.

Thanks,

PM sent!