IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Byte Knight! I joined this forum just so I could contact you on your CVFB upgrade! I was just talking to my girlfriend's son last night about how great the Colecovision system was and today I googled one of my favorite games: Frenzy! That brought me to a couple of YouTube reviews on your upgraded system. I am very impressed!! I have 2 broken original systems and I miss playing many of the games I used to play! Please PM me and let me know the details. I haven't purchased the CVFB system yet because I read a lot of bad reviews on it mainly concerning the new controllers but I know your upgrade can bypass this. I think I still have the old working Sega controllers that I can use with this.

Man this sounds like such a great solution to get all the old Colecovision and Atari 2600 games that I grew up with all in one place with HDMI out and great picture quality. I wish I was smarter with computers and understood how to put games on the raspberrypi, I have tried to read up on it and get lost after a few sentences. Once I finally understand how to do it I will definitely pick up a flashback system and have the upgrade done.

• 5 weeks later...

I was thinking of getting the $160.00 upgrade, but I have AV Jack TV. I don't own a flat screen TV. And I like playing on retro TV.

Is there anyway to get a AV Jack version? I've seen HDMI to AV Jack converter attachments, but they require plugging into power

source and not so sure if the picture would look normal. I did see someone solder AV jacks to a rasberrypie and then through two

holes in the housing box. So I was curious on a comment on this. Maybe would be better to get a AV converted Coleco Vision Console

and that's why I posted this message.

I was thinking of getting the $160.00 upgrade, but I have AV Jack TV. I don't own a flat screen TV. And I like playing on retro TV.

Is there anyway to get a AV Jack version? I've seen HDMI to AV Jack converter attachments, but they require plugging into power

source and not so sure if the picture would look normal. I did see someone solder AV jacks to a rasberrypie and then through two

holes in the housing box. So I was curious on a comment on this. Maybe would be better to get a AV converted Coleco Vision Console

The Raspberry Pi 3 has a 1/8" AV jack, so you'd need a cable like this one. I'm not sure how the game select menu would look in the 4:3 ratio though. I've ordered up a cable and will let you know what shakes out.

I just recently received my upgraded Flashback from Byte Knight, and after having a few days to play around with it, I'm really loving it so far. Pardon my French, but this thing is f@#*ing sweet! It has transformed a cute little novelty item that mostly just sat on the shelf into a serious retro gaming machine!

Adding more Colecovision games is incredibly easy, even for someone like myself who has never touched a Raspberry Pi before. I am just now attempting to get other emulators up and running, and that doesn't appear to be too difficult either.

And let me tell you, Byte Knight's service is first class all the way. I got my upgraded Flashback about a week after I mailed it, and all my questions since then have been promptly answered.

To anyone out there who was disappointed with the original Flashback, I highly recommend this service!

• Like 2

I am just now attempting to get other emulators up and running, and that doesn't appear to be too difficult either.

How would you do such a thing? I had an intellivision flashback transformed into an ultimate and would love to be able to play CV games on it as well...

post-16548-0-92602900-1485889767_thumb.jpg

So I tried it out with the AV cable on my HDTV (I don't own any old 4:3 behemoths) and the game selection screen is a little scrunched up but games seem to work fine.

How would you do such a thing? I had an intellivision flashback transformed into an ultimate and would love to be able to play CV games on it as well...

Have you added any Intellivision games to the Flashback with a USB stick yet? If so, rom folders for each emulator should have been generated on your USB stick. Adding the roms to the correct folders should get those emulators to appear in the menu. And once they appear, some emulators, like the Atari 2600 and Atari 7800, should work. However, some, like the Odyssey 2 emulator, need a BIOS file to work. So you have to find the correct BIOS file(s) and transfer it to the Flashback. I can't figure out the transferring part.

Anyways, this is the site that has helped me (in case you haven't already found it yourself):

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki

• 2 weeks later...

I had Byte Knight perform his magic on my Colecovision Flashback and he did a wonderful job. He answered all my questions very quickly and after I sent him my unit it only took him a few days to upgrade my unit and return it to me. His service is very fast and professional. I will gladly do business with him again. Thanks Byte Knight, for a very pleasurable experience.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Byte Knight upgraded a CV Flashback for me and I can’t overstate how impressed I am with both the design and execution. I realized, however, that I prefer to play these games on original hardware. Consequently, I would like to offer my Ultimate CV Flashback for sale at $189.00, which equates to my cost of $30 for the Flashback plus $159.00 for the upgrade. I will pay the cost of Priority Mail shipping to a US address. Something this nice ought to belong to someone who will use it more frequently than I. Please send me a PM if interested.

All this is very exciting. I don't have a Coleco Flashback, but I would love to have one modded too.

I would love to get my hands on this game system, or at least try it for myself, how it feels to play with the controls and navigate the menus.

My opinion of this system are only from pictures and Youtube videos. :-(

Talking about Youtube videos, I've heard the sound emulation of a Flashback unit in a Youtube video and it's incorrect; the periodic noise is emulated as a white noise, and this cause differences in sounds of some games like Rocky, Destructor, and games I've done music for.

So my question: is the issue from an early version or it's really the sound emulation of this product?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Byte Knight! I've had my Colecovision Flashback for 3 years, and would love to get the modifications you offer! Where can I send it and how much $? (I'd really like to get it done in time for our Commodore Retro Expo here in Las Vegas on July 28-30th at the Alexis Park Resort. Would be awesome to put this on display at our show!

Forrest Nettles

President, Clark County Commodore Computer Club

Las Vegas, Nevada

Hi Byte Knight! I have a CVFB ready to send to you for your upgrade! Please PM me or email me at flnettles@hotmail.com! I'm a Commodore guy so don't get on Atari Age too often except to talk about our Commodore Retro Expo event here in Vegas at the end of July. I hope to do this upgrade in time to display your unit at our show, please contact me! (I'm REALLY interested!) :D

• 3 months later...

Byte Knight - Help! You upgraded my Coleco Flashback with all the extra games several months ago, and I am just now getting this thing hooked up and can't get it to work at all. I get a brief Coleco flash screen then it goes to a screen that only says "Welcome No Game Pads detected Hold a button on your device to configure, Press F4 to quit at any time." I had to send it back once already, because the HDMI port was not secure, but haven't had a way to hook everything up till now. No keyboard so no F4 so what am I supposed to do. I've pressed every button on both controllers and nothing happens. :P

Forrest Nettles

Byte Knight - Help! You upgraded my Coleco Flashback with all the extra games several months ago, and I am just now getting this thing hooked up and can't get it to work at all. I get a brief Coleco flash screen then it goes to a screen that only says "Welcome No Game Pads detected Hold a button on your device to configure, Press F4 to quit at any time." I had to send it back once already, because the HDMI port was not secure, but haven't had a way to hook everything up till now. No keyboard so no F4 so what am I supposed to do. I've pressed every button on both controllers and nothing happens. :P

Forrest Nettles

Did you try restarting and holding down Zero while it boots up?

Forrest Nettles

The USB cable between the Pi and UFBI must have come loose. PM sent!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...