IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

The flashbacks have cheap cases that are pretty boring. Why not put a Raspberry Pi in an original ColecoVision case where the ColecoVision is broken beyond repair, but the case is in good condition?

Because immaculate 35+ year-old cases are not plentiful as are smaller shiny-new Flashback cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty neat project. You could probably do away with the Ultimate PC Interface using GPIO modules drivers for the controllers.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/GPIO-Modules/

I use this GPIO module in my Ultimate Atari Joystick builds, so I am familiar enough with it to get it working for me.

I'd imagine that the GPIO module should work OK for the Colecovision controllers for the directions and the primary fire button.

I am not familiar enough with the Colecovision pinout (pin 5) and the GPIO driver's capability to know about the second fire button and the keypad functionality. The GPIO module is open source, so someone could update if need be.

Unless I was on a tight budget, I would still use the Ultimate Flashback Interface Board since it is designed to mount right in the Flashback cases, or I'd use the Ultimate PC Interface or the 2600-daptor D9 if I was using a RPi in its own case.

Nothing beats their flexibility to swap between so many different controllers

• Like 1

I am not familiar enough with the Colecovision pinout (pin 5) and the GPIO driver's capability to know about the second fire button and the keypad functionality.

It's pretty simple. If you place a positive voltage on pin 6, you'll get positive voltage from pin 8 if the primary button (FIRE) is pressed, and pin 5 if the secondary button (ARM) is pressed.

Or, as the CV sees it, it puts 2.5V on all the sample pins (including 6), then pulls down pin 8 to see if pin 6 goes low for FIRE, then pulls down pin 5 to see if pin 6 goes low for ARM.

For GPIO, I'd go with the first method though.

• 1 year later...

Hello, 

I am super interested in this upgrade if it’s still available. Only thing is that my coleco flashback has been going black screen on me. I.e. not working.
If your upgrade is still available would I have to buy a new flashback or could I pay you additionally to inspect the problem along with the upgrade? Thanks....

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Can anyone post their /opt/retropi/configs/coleco/coolcv_mapping.txt file on their Ultimate Flashback?   I accidentally updated my CoolCV emulator and then lost the controller mappings to Reset/Pause/Exit the emulator using the Flashback controller.

Reset was:  <right fire><*>  

Pause was:  <right fire><0> 

Exit was:  <right fire><#>   

But I don't know the actual mapping names for them, which is done in coolcv_mapping.txt.   e.g.  joy0_5

I've managed to map the above to the Right Fire + keypad buttons 4, 5, 6 instead of *, 0, #   but I would rather have the original option.

Edited by rednakes1

1 hour ago, rednakes1 said:

Can anyone post their /opt/retropi/configs/coleco/coolcv_mapping.txt file on their Ultimate Flashback?   I accidentally updated my CoolCV emulator and then lost the controller mappings to Reset/Pause/Exit the emulator using the Flashback controller.

Reset was:  <right fire><*>  

Pause was:  <right fire><0> 

Exit was:  <right fire><#>   

But I don't know the actual mapping names for them, which is done in coolcv_mapping.txt.   e.g.  joy0_5

I've managed to map the above to the Right Fire + keypad buttons 4, 5, 6 instead of *, 0, #   but I would rather have the original option.

Never mind, i figured it out by mounting an old backup of my SD card to an external pen drive.  I’ve attached it in case anyone is interested.

coolcv_mapping.txt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1