IGNORED

Your thoughts on Lemon64

Link6415

I've seen negative things said about Lemon64 more than once (or twice, actually numerous times). I personally think it's a good community, certainly not as friendly as AtariAge though. There are arguments occasionally, and once in a blue moon someone is banned but all in all, I think it's okay.

But I notice several Commodore users here are not on Lemon64.

What are your thoughts?

I haven't hung out on their forums. For game downloads I usually use GameBase64. And there's lots of C64 users here on AtariAge.

AtariAge seems friendlier than a lot of sites. I used to hang out at Ars Technica about 10-15 years ago and it was great back then, but now it's just a cesspool of jerks and assholes.

Edited by BillyHW

I mainly visit the "Other Commodore computers" section on Lemon64. I haven't found the attitude a problem, but I can understand the demand is greater that you should know a bit about what you're talking/asking about, or otherwise you might be made aware that you're clueless in more or less polite ways. It might seem elite oriented, but as a newcomer you can also step gently to not upset the regulars.

Another often repeated fact is that the Lemon64 audience is more European oriented, not as many American users, which might cause a split and was one of the reasons we got CBM sections here, which as a forum I find far more American oriented.

carlsson wrote:

> ...you should know a bit about what you're talking/asking about...

And if you don't, they cut you down right away.

> ...otherwise you might be made aware that you're clueless in more or less polite ways.

Less polite is putting it mildly.

> It might seem elite oriented...

Yup, the elites are there.

> ...as a newcomer you can also step gently to not upset the regulars.

The regular elites... and stepping gently is easier said than done. How many times the innocent have been destroyed there!

> Another often repeated fact is that the Lemon64 audience is more European oriented...

Very true.

FCUG celebrating 34 years this month,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

I read the Lemon forums regularly. There are some deep technical discussions which I can't begin to follow but I'm glad those experts are there and it's where I find out about new goodies available for my Commies. Like any forum, it's got it's share of controversy but I've never been belittled for any of my stupid questions.

The only negative I see is there are (were) a few highly knowledgeable individuals who couldn't get along - no matter what one person said, the others couldn't resist a snarky comeback. It got very tiresome, but the two worst offenders are no longer on the site (one may be back in disguise).

I appreciate the Euro-centric flavor, as there are plenty of games, demos, and other stuff that I never see discussed anywhere else and, having been made aware, I can check them all out in Vice, which emulates a PAL machine nicely.

The title comes from the last name of the owner I believe, Kim Lemon.

Unfortunately, Kim may want to change his name because Lemon64 has become the bane of the Commodore community; overrun by elitist's and wanna-be elites that still think it's the 80's and still act like they are teenagers. There has been a silent mass exodus of decent Commodore users over there for the last 5+ years, and many have come here. The moderators at Lemon64 are in bed with the "elites" and let them break the rules and do what they want, so don't expect to play in their playground unless you are ready to kiss some serious ass. They also do a good job of covering up all the harassment and defaming of the innocent over there to protect the reputations of their buddy elites. It's always like that in small scenes, which Lemon64 has become. It's no longer a friendly community of Commodore users as it used to be, but has become overrun by the CSDB elitest. It's basically CSDB-lite.

Decent users only post in the Lemon64 forums when they have something to announce or share C64 related, but they won't bother sticking around to play scene politics. Who has time for that crap?

You know, being Elite in the 80's actually meant something, but trying to hold on to that now and convince everyone else that you are all that is, well, just pathetic. It's one thing to personally try and hold on to your "glory years", but an entirely different thing when you expect and demand everyone around you to do so as well!? That's just deranged. It's almost as deranged as holding on to lists of disconnected BBS numbers from the 80's as proof of how cool and elite you are.

In reality, Lemon64 is giving "Elite" a bad name. I hope someday Kim Lemon can restore it back to it's glory days and create a welcoming, friendly Commodore community, because if it keeps going the way it stands now, in a few years there will be nothing left over there but a dozen old "elites" sitting around in a circle stroking their own egos.

It has to start from the top down with the moderators. A forum, company, or family for that matter always reflects the leadership. The reason you won't find that crap here on Atariage is because the owners and moderators here take steps to enforce a friendly community environment of users. The moderators over at Lemon64 are in bed with the CSDB elitists and therefore want to make Lemon64 in the image of CSDB, which ironically means that either CSDB or Lemon64 is no longer needed in the end since they will really become one in the same. In a sense, they become their own enemy. And after Lemon64 is completely destroyed by the CSDB elitists, those very elitists will just smile and just go back on over to CSDB.

The sad thing is that not all of the elites are actually bad guys. Some of them just want to find a community that shares their hobby without all the scene politics. Unfortunately, like most things in life, it only takes a few to ruin it for the rest and that is what has happened over at Lemon64. There is only about a dozen or so "elites" and wanna-bee elites over there that have mucked up the atmosphere for the rest.

In order to save Lemon64 I would first say to Kim Lemon, get rid of ALL the current moderators he has over there. They are all equally responsible for what the environment has become by way of enabling it and not enforcing the very rules that he put in place. Then, instill moderators that actually care about the Commodore community and want to see it grow, not just for the older, but newer generations. I would recommend moderators that are actual Commodore users and have children that they also like to share their hooby with. After that, make sure the new moderators flush out all the CSDB elites and elite wanna-bees that have mucked that place up over the years and instill a zero tolerance policy towards that elitist crap. The elitist’s have CSDB to stroke their egos if they need to.

If Kim does this, then and only then will there be a chance of saving the reputation of Lemon64.

Edited by stirring