IGNORED

Thrust versions, what are they?

Keatah

I was going through and finishing de-duplicating some things. And my roms of Thrust seemed to be a mislabeled mess.

According to the AA store there are three versions:

THRUST

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=872

THRUST+ DC EDITION

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=2355

THRUST+ PLATINUM

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=2384

The first two are identical roms, and display THRUST v1.2

The third one is THRUST PLUS and also displays v1.2

Yet I seem to have a 1.5 version of THRUST.

And a 1.6 version of THRUST+

And other lesser versions still greater than the 1.2 shown in the AA store's rom downloads..

Ugh.. and on it goes..

Can someone please set me straight on the latest versions of each of the three editions? And also check that the downloads on AA are also correctly labeled?

Its a bit complicated. :)

The 1.2x (x not displayed on screen, but you can see it inside the ROM) versions are the ROMs which are for downloading. The versions on cart have a different versioning (1.x). The differences between ROM and cart version are minimal.

There are three main releases:

• The original release (available from Hozer and then AA)
  • Thrust+ (which supported additional controllers) (1.5/1.22 ff)
  • Thrust+ Platinum (with better sound and music from Paul Slocum). (1.8/1.25 ff)

The versions in between and never are just bug fixes (e.g. the pause key not working in 1.5 and PAL mode; a fuel overflow bug in 1.8 ). Also I have added an extra feature in the latest version (1.9/1.27), which no one has noticed so far. :)

The Thrust+ ROM for download is indeed the same as the original ROM (1.22). I never cared here, because the latest version is the one that counts for playing the game.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

Thanks for the clarification. I kinda thought so.

I'll dump all the other intermediate versions into the curiosity, wip, and oddities folders.

We're preparing for guests over the holiday weekend and one of them gets all giddy over Gravitar. So I thought I'd highlight this along with the arcade Gravitar via mame.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Its a bit complicated. :)

The 1.2x (x not displayed on screen, but you can see it inside the ROM) versions are the ROMs which are for downloading. The versions on cart have a different versioning (1.x). The differences between ROM and cart version are minimal.

There are three main releases:

• The original release (available from Hozer and then AA)
  • Thrust+ (which supported additional controllers) (1.5/1.22 ff)
  • Thrust+ Platinum (with better sound and music from Paul Slocum). (1.8/1.25 ff)

The versions in between and never are just bug fixes (e.g. the pause key not working in 1.5 and PAL mode; a fuel overflow bug in 1.8 ). Also I have added an extra feature in the latest version (1.9/1.27), which no one has noticed so far. :)

The Thrust+ ROM for download is indeed the same as the original ROM (1.22). I never cared here, because the latest version is the one that counts for playing the game.

Nevermind. Its already documented. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this up because I've run into a problem with Thrust and the Atarivox. The vox stopped recording the high score on thrust once it got to 35,000 and some change. If I go past this score, it no longer records it. When the score was lower, and I went past it, but not past the 35,000 mark, it would update it. I've tried the vox on a couple other games and it seems to work on those. Anyone else run into this problem or similar?

Sounds like a bug. Just tested within Stella, it works. Unfortunately I cannot test for the next weeks on real hardware. I hope someone else can do.

Is your high score exactly 35.000? The exact number may help.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Sounds like a bug. Just tested within Stella, it works. Unfortunately I cannot test for the next weeks on real hardware. I hope someone else can do.

Is your high score exactly 35.000? The exact number may help.

The exact number is 35, 860. So far, I've tried it out on 2 different systems with the same results. I'll try it out on a different one later, but am starting to think it's the vox that's faulty because...

…I tested this out with a Savekey and encountered no problems. Got a high score, it saved, went back and got a higher score above the 35, 860 mark and it overwrote the old one with no issues.

So, yeah, I'll try out the Atarivox later on this setup to be sure, but it's looking like it might be flakey.

• 2 years later...