IGNORED

Moon Patrol

CyranoJ

I've got a few spare buttons I can map one to jump (up) ?

Hi Cyrano, I was just thinking about something. How are the controls being tweaked for ST games ported to the Jag when they were primarily controlled by the ST Mouse? Have there been any of those yet?

The reason why I ask is because the ST Mouse as a device behaves like what is attributed to the CX80 Trak-Ball Controller, or more accurately, Atari Corp - and/or various Atari ST dealers here in the States - modified a lot of leftover CX80 Trak-Balls into behaving like the ST Mouse so much that its "reputation" is known as such for 2600 and Atari 8-Bit gamers.

While I'm unaware of anyone creating an ST Mouse adapter for the Jaguar, I do know user BigO has made an adapter cable to use the much better CX53 Trak-Ball Controller [the deluxe 5200 Trak-Ball] in the place of a CX80 on the 2600 and Atari 8-Bit computers by getting it to export CX80 "gray code". He's mentioned getting it to work with the ST and also USB for emulation. I just sent him some links to info on the STE/Falcon030/Jaguar Enhanced Joystick Ports so I'm sure he'll figure it out easily. But then that could open up some interesting possibilities with ST games ported to the Jaguar… Crystal Castles, Missile Command, Megapede, Marble Madness [the Amiga version is better though], Dungeon Master, etc. Just a thought...

And button assignment shouldn't be too difficult with a CX53. Playsoft has easily remapped keyboard buttons for Atari 8-Bit games over to the 5200 Keypad on some A8-to-5200 conversions. And although the CX53 only has 2 fire buttons, as opposed to a standard Jaguar JagPad, others have easily modified them for three fire buttons. Of course, the same has been done to a few CX22s/CX80s by addressing the Paddle Lines in the DB9 which is how Atari's own Trak-Ball engineer Dan Kramer did with making a 3 fire button custom Trak-Ball Controller in-house so Atari Inc's engineers could play a 3 fire button version of Missile Command on their 8-Bit computers back in the day. Speaking of, Playsoft mapped a 3rd fire button to the 5200 Keypad when he ported the homebrew Missile Command+ from Atari 8-Bit to the 5200 a few months ago...

I guess a related subject would focus on whether anyone has made a PC GamePort to Jaguar adapter or whether the existing PC GamePort-to-5200 adapters could then be plugged into a hypothetical 5200-to-Jaguar adapter cable...

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

I'm unaware of anyone creating an ST Mouse adapter for the Jaguar

http://mdgames.de/jag_eng.htm (search for "mouse" in the page).

A few homebrew games support it, including Impulse X by Matthias Domin, and the cartridge (not CD) version of Elansar by Orion_.

Mouse support is included in the audio/input code I wrote, which is used by some of CyranoJ's games ports. I don't know if any of those actually use the mouse, however.

• Like 5

Hi Cyrano, I was just thinking about something. How are the controls being tweaked for ST games ported to the Jag when they were primarily controlled by the ST Mouse? Have there been any of those yet?

There's been a few:

• Virus - This had a Joystick mode, so the mouse mode was disabled and it was direct mapped to the DPAD
  • Carrier Command - again, mapped to the DPAD
  • Elite II - mapped to DPAD, I implemented a toggle to switch between mouse input and normal DPAD control
  • Starglider II - Had a joystick mode, used this mapped to the DPAD
  • Revenge of DoH - Originally used DPAD but played badly, so started to implement U235 rotaries, but will go back to this, switch to zeroplayer and implement mouse and rotary eventually, as Zero sent me an adapter cable for an ST mouse.

So, there you have it ;)

• Like 8

I can't seem to locate the thread where I made some comments about ST Joust. Holy hand grenades, the port to the Jag has the option to use the arcade version's audio. Fan-frikkin-tastic! I'm surprised there's separate 2600 and 7800 audio versions…thought GCC recycled the 2600 audio for their 7800 port since both consoles used the TIA [unlike the A8/5200 versions which used the POKEY instead].

That's pimptacular!

Now if the Jaguar just had an SD Cartridge Adapter…

[ducks!]

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to locate the thread where I made some comments about ST Joust. Holy hand grenades, the port to the Jag has the option to use the arcade version's audio. Fan-frikkin-tastic! I'm surprised there's separate 2600 and 7800 audio versions…thought GCC recycled the 2600 audio for their 7800 port since both consoles used the TIA [unlike the A8/5200 versions which used the POKEY instead].

That's pimptacular!

Don't forget the Lynx sound set too. Out of all the sets on Jaguar Joust (2600, 7800, 800/5200, ST, Lynx, and arcade) I like the 800/5200 for the nostalgia since I grew up with that version and it sounded great. Really what started the Joust sound project was wanting to add Atari 800 sound to the game. But out all the Atari platforms, Lynx Joust was the most spot on for the Arcade. ST was there graphically, and Lynx was there in sound. Put the two together and you have the best of Atari for the Jaguar which is only fitting. :)

Edited by doctorclu

Let's patrol on the Moon but with style :D

CD cover: http://www.mirari.fr/Bg4k.jpg

Bg4k.jpg

DVD sleeve: http://www.mirari.fr/TuKp.jpg

TuKp.jpg

I would like to request cartridge labels when you do this if you don't mind Albert using them when/if cartridges are made. Also can be used for those wanting to burning their own cartridges. Though Moon Patrol is still somewhat buggy I think it would be worth a cartridge burn at some point.

I mean it is Moon Patrol!

I'm not able to get this to play correctly under VJ? Other games seem to work okay, but the A,B, and C, buttons actually end up moving the buggy forward or backward and jump but no fire and arrow controls do nothing? Is this a none issue when trying this out under VJ?

I'm not able to get this to play correctly under VJ? Other games seem to work okay, but the A,B, and C, buttons actually end up moving the buggy forward or backward and jump but no fire and arrow controls do nothing? Is this a none issue when trying this out under VJ?

Sounds like you've got the controls configured incorrectly.

Cyrano you are correct. It was the controls. Even though I have remapped them multiple times and they used to work, it appears that VJ is stuck using the default mapping with JKL as the ABC and the WASD keys for directional control. I really need to learn how to burn these to CDRs so I can actually enjoy them on my Jag.

Thanks for the reply and keep up the excellent work!

• Like 1

New DVD cover as I found 2 misspellings on the previous one :-o

Sorry for that but it is not my mother tongue: (bad excuse on) it's english, you know the language from those guys who are on an island and driving on the wrong part of the road (bad excuse off) :-D

Now it looks correct:

http://www.mirari.fr/ZAhD.jpg

ZAhD.jpg

For cartridge labels, I don't draw them because I simply don't need them. I am creating DVD box and CD covers because I am burning the games on CD-Rs.

Another reason is drawing cartridge labels is not fun at all for me: the narrow label height obliges to keep only few elements of the box art so it is very resctrictive and drawing a box art is far more fun.

Sorry but don't expect cartridge labels from me because I really have little interest for that.

P.S: I am adding some deco for Star Wars as well today on the dedicated page ;-)

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 2