IGNORED

Newbie Questions

hizzy

I offered 150.00 can & he asked me what my "best price" is. I told him that it's not worth 500.00. I have a line on a nice console that might end up costing me 25 bucks. I think even 150 can dollars is a touch high. You guys are making me cheap! :D

Unless the seller's console is special in some way, I'd tend to go to the cheaper side.

The seller now says that he would take my offer of 150.00 Canadian. I might have bitten if it was a woody. The "vader" doesn't do much for me :P I have a bid on a local console that is at 8 dollars. Fingers crossed!

I got 3 consoles for 25 bucks canadian a 2600 l6 a coleco and intellivision.

the 2600 works great the intellivision now works the coleco will soon.

I would shoot for 50 bucks for a working 2600 and power supply and 1 joystick and 6 or so commons. If not then it is a rip off.

You guys really live in a fantastic place when it comes to prices.

I paid about 400$ US for a light sixer with 21 games here in Sweden. And that wasnt even especially expensive. A 2600jr with 1 joystick and no games goes for about 75-100$. Games usually go for 7-10$ a piece here, even common ones.

Edited by Raticon

I paid about 400$ US for a light sixer with 21 games here in Sweden. And that wasnt even especially expensive. A 2600jr with 1 joystick and no games goes for about 75-100$. Games usually go for 7-10$ a piece here, even common ones.

Wow!!! I find that cartridges have been plentiful and cheap. but consoles in vintage shops tend to be over priced. A call to a shop this morning yielded an offer of 200.00 USD for a console in shabby shape. Is your light sixer in good shape?

Have you tried different european ebay ? Sometimes you have to be patient, but I got a lot on ebay.be for 90 euros, there was a light sixer, a vader, some sticks and carts, and a compumate ! I got another light sixer on ebay.de for 55 euros, again with sticks and more than 10 carts. All in nice shape and working.

This thread is amazing!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/184296-slowcoders-guide-to-cleaning-up-your-2600/

I want to learn about fixing up consoles, too. That thread was real food for thought. Do many people here service their own consoles?

I find that fixing, maintaining and modding my consoles is half the fun of owning them, plus the 2600 is a very easy system to repair :)

That boxed console seems all right but I don't think a boxed Atari is really the way to go for you. You want one to play and have fun with, so don't pay a premium for a boxed one unless you feel like you want the box. I would echo people who recommend finding lots of carts on eBay. You can get most of the common basics for a buck or two per cart, and that will get you pretty far. Look for bunches of carts on eBay, and don't pay more than a few bucks per cart. In general I wouldn't recommend paying more than $50 for a console unless it is particularly nice, and no more than $5 for a cart unless it is something you really want or is on the hard to find side.

Yup 7800 is totally the way to go. Having the option to have a few top notch 7800 games in your collection is a no-brainer. After a few hours of blocky 2600 graphics a 7800 game can seriously impress!

I'm a 7800 fan but the prices have been going up on them recently. A 2600 might be the better option price-wise for someone starting out.

As someone else mentioned here, it might be a good idea to use a 2600 for 2600 games and the 7800 for 7800 games due to wear and tear concerns. Curt does sell replacement 7800 cartridge brackets. There's also the Harmony SD Cartridge Adapter for the 2600 and the Concerto for the 7800 which is nearing official release.

The 7800 homebrew scene is pretty incredible…so is the 2600 scene.

I'll let someone else mention the variety of controllers available for various games in the 2600's library...