IGNORED

Retrieving graphics from AvsP

Mutantant

I was bored and had a look into the files, most of them are 8bpp, there are no textures.

GZ000325	
GZ000326
GZ000327
GZ000328
GZ000329
GZ000330
GZ000331
GZ000332	Level Map
GZ000333	Level Map
GZ000334	Level Map
GZ000335	Level Map
GZ000336	Level Map
GZ000337	Almost 0
GZ000338	Almost 0
GZ000339	Almost 0
GZ000340	Almost 0
GZ000341	Almost 0
GZ000342	Almost 0
GZ000343	Almost 0
GZ000344	Almost 0
GZ000345	Level Map
GZ000346	Level Map
GZ000347	Backgroud with ‘w’ Wayland Vutani
GZ000348	Pistol or flamethrower?
GZ000349	Rifle
GZ000350	Shotgun
GZ000351	Other weapon
GZ000352	Guy with a serial number
GZ000353	Same guy side photo
GZ000354	Guy #2
GZ000355	Side Guy #2
GZ000356	Guy #3
GZ000357	Side Guy #3
GZ000358	Guy #4
GZ000359	Side Guy #4
GZ000360	Marine Id Label
GZ000361	Alien Face (Cartoon like)
GZ000362	Another Cartoon like face, but it’s not from predator
GZ000363	Cartoon like creature
GZ000364	Alien egg
GZ000365	Alien spider
GZ000366	Marine face?
GZ000367	Another cartoon like drawing
GZ000368	Planet and orbit drawing #1
GZ000369	Planet and orbit drawing #2
GZ000370	Planet and orbit drawing #3
GZ000371	Planet and orbit drawing #4
GZ000372	Level #1 drawing
GZ000373	Level #2 drawing
GZ000374	Level #3 drawing
GZ000375	Level #4 drawing
GZ000376	Level #5 drawing
GZ000377	#1
GZ000378	#2
GZ000379	Hand & Machinegun
GZ000380	Little explosion #1
GZ000381	Little explosion #2
GZ000382	Little explosion #3
GZ000383	Machinegun shoot #1
GZ000384	Machinegun shoot #2
GZ000385	Little explosion #1
GZ000386	Little explosion #2
GZ000387	Arm & shotgun #1
GZ000388	Arm & shotgun #2
GZ000389	Arm & shotgun #3
GZ000390	Arm & shotgun #4
GZ000391	Hand & another waapon
GZ000392	Alien spider big sprite (when it gets attached to your face)
GZ000393	Alien arm #1
GZ000394	Alien arm #2
GZ000395	Looks like a fat worm #1
GZ000396	Looks like a fat worm #2
GZ000397	Looks like a fat worm #3
GZ000398	Looks like a fat worm #4
GZ000399	Alien tail #1
GZ000400	Alien tail #2
GZ000401	Alien mouth #1
GZ000402	Alien mouth #2
GZ000403	Alien mouth #3
GZ000404	Predator arm #1 no weapon
GZ000405	Predator arm #2 no weapon
GZ000406	Predator arm #3 no weapon
GZ000407	Predator arm #4 weapon 1
GZ000408	Predator amr #5 weapon 2
GZ000409	Predator spear? #1
GZ000410	Predator spear? #2
GZ000411	Predator spear? #3
GZ000412	Predator spear? #4
GZ000413	Marine overlay, full screen
GZ000414	Alien overlay, full screen
GZ000415	Predator overlay, full screen
GZ000416	too small
GZ000417	numbers
GZ000418	alien numbers 7 segments
GZ000419
GZ000420	radar
GZ000421	another overlay
GZ000422	more overlays
GZ000423	overlay or mask, from circle to small alien animation
GZ000424	more overlays
GZ000425	more overlays
GZ000426	more overlays
GZ000427	Predator logo, looks like 16bpp
GZ000428	Copyright letters in 16bpp
GZ000429	3 fonts together
GZ000430	Another font
GZ000431	Alien logo, 16bpp
GZ000432	Predator logo
GZ000433	Full game credits, 4bpp
GZ000434	looks like some color banding

• Like 1

Sorry but I haven't played AvP, so I don't know the weapons.

There are a lot of wasted space with the programmers (?) images (guy #1 to #4) and all HUD graphics are stored as 8bpp but only uses a few colors, also the credits are stored as a tall 4bpp bitmap.

What did you use to view the images? JagView makes a mess of these, and a small utility I found called view_jag does a good enough job on some but not on all. Also, as per usual, the colors seem all wrong, meaning a palate file exists somewhere (or not, could be hard coded).

EDIT: Looks like JagView does fine if you know what you're doing...lol. Oddly, I get the best results with the weapons when I view them as PAL 8-bit. But then they are greyscale. Interesting.

EDIT 2: And some of the images (like the arm and shotgun) display better as CRY, but still with crap colors. Some colors are almost right, and the rest are way off.

Edited by Mutantant

Okay, 2nd try then!

After digging through the code (first gzipped file in the archive I posted above) I found the file "load" code, which led me to the positions inside the rom that the included files begin. There I noticed a "JP80" header, which of course would be jagpeg quality 80 - double d'oh!

After that realisation it was "simply" a matter of cutting the files and tweaking the Atari test jagpeg decoder to display everything in order. testjpg\testjpg.rom can be ran in virtualjaguar for your viewing pleasure!

P.S.1 I left the original pics included with the code for dramatic effect

P.S.2 For some reason the version of vj I have places the object a bit to the left, so some pixels are lost. Therefore I moved the textures a bit to the right so they can be ripped properly

P.S.3 If the pause between screens is too short, open test.s, go to lines 119-121 and uncomment (i.e. remove the semicolon) to double/triple/quadruple the pause. Run make.bat to rebuild the ROM.

P.S.4 Built with rmac/rln, the cross-compiler for Atari 16/32 and Jaguar machines!

avp_jagpeg.zip

Edited by ggn
  • Like 9

What did you use to view the images? JagView makes a mess of these, and a small utility I found called view_jag does a good enough job on some but not on all. Also, as per usual, the colors seem all wrong, meaning a palate file exists somewhere (or not, could be hard coded).

I've coded a tool to rip graphics, you load a file and then you can adjust pixel format and image width.

Okay, 2nd try then!

After digging through the code (first gzipped file in the archive I posted above) I found the file "load" code, which led me to the positions inside the rom that the included files begin. There I noticed a "JP80" header, which of course would be jagpeg quality 80 - double d'oh!

After that realisation it was "simply" a matter of cutting the files and tweaking the Atari test jagpeg decoder to display everything in order. testjpg\testjpg.rom can be ran in virtualjaguar for your viewing pleasure!

P.S.2 For some reason the version of vj I have places the object a bit to the left, so some pixels are lost. Therefore I moved the textures a bit to the right so they can be ripped properly

P.S.3 If the pause between screens is too short, open test.s, go to lines 119-121 and uncomment (i.e. remove the semicolon) to double/triple/quadruple the pause. Run make.bat to rebuild the ROM.

P.S.4 Built with rmac/rln, the cross-compiler for Atari 16/32 and Jaguar machines!

Wow, perfect. This plus a little screenshot + Photoshop work means we have access to all the wall textures, and many of the game screens. Thanks for that!

One issue seems to be the larger, full-screen images (like the Marine/Pred/Alien selection images) are losing the bottom few pixels completely. The smaller images are perfect, however. You can see on these screens the border missing on the bottom maybe 10%.

Now, as these are JP80 and JP90 images, I take it they are different than the weapon sprites and such that were ripped earlier?

The last piece of this puzzle would be to have this demo load the textures it does already, plus the currently ripped sprites, and the still yet unfound enemy sprites, in the emulator. This would give me access to all the graphics I'd need.

Example of the main hall texture, screenshotted from VJ running this demo, used in ZDoom (ignore the generic textures surrounding the wall in question): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4XtP5_vJjsOHNMeXlnbXQtQUE/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Mutantant

Wow, perfect. This plus a little screenshot + Photoshop work means we have access to all the wall textures, and many of the game screens. Thanks for that!

No problem!

One issue seems to be the larger, full-screen images (like the Marine/Pred/Alien selection images) are losing the bottom few pixels completely. The smaller images are perfect, however. You can see on these screens the border missing on the bottom maybe 10%.

Well this is due to object size and centering and how it appears on vj. Perhaps a kind soul could take a look at it and center the object?

[EDIT: Never mind, I got it - open vidstuff.inc and change HEIGHT to 240, SCREEN_START_XPOS and YPOS to 20) and double click make.bat - you should get a new rom file with the objects centered]

Now, as these are JP80 and JP90 images, I take it they are different than the weapon sprites and such that were ripped earlier?

80/90 is actually the compression ratio - very similar to jpg but custom. I'm pretty sure that it's some texts plus numbers 0-9 that are compressed with better quality, they could afford the space since they're mostly black and they needed those sprites to be more sharp.

The last piece of this puzzle would be to have this demo load the textures it does already, plus the currently ripped sprites, and the still yet unfound enemy sprites, in the emulator. This would give me access to all the graphics I'd need.

Example of the main hall texture, screenshotted from VJ running this demo, used in ZDoom (ignore the generic textures surrounding the wall in question): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4XtP5_vJjsOHNMeXlnbXQtQUE/view?usp=sharing

I would assume that a ingame memory dump would get those, now where's that Shamus.... ;)

Edited by ggn

Okay, 2nd try then!

Thank you. Just had a look at it. Interesting stuff but what the hell are the fishes and Patrick Stewart doing in there? ;-) Makes you wonder what else one might may find in other games.;-)

• Like 2

Thank you. Just had a look at it. Interesting stuff but what the hell are the fishes and Patrick Stewart doing in there? ;-) Makes you wonder what else one might may find in other games. ;-)

Now the only good plan of attack is to replace assets with those, make up a cart and plant it in a charity shop for someone to discover a rare beta test version :0)

And then you hear "anytime" and are chased down the halway by a picture of Captain Picard decloaking somewhere near you...ahhhhh AvP has never been scarier...

• Like 1

I'll end up making a separate thread for this project soon, but just so those who've helped me so much getting these textures can see them in action, here are some screenshots of the work so far:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4XtP5_vJjsOXo1aGVva3pndG8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4XtP5_vJjsVmdLZ3A5bnJfU28/view?usp=sharing

Note that there is a lot of hackery going on here, which makes it fun. For example, Doom does not support horizontally opening doors, or doors you can see through (like the brig barred doors). So I had to code (using ZDoom's advanced scripting features) a quasi-door that simulates the doors in AvP, being basically a line thick (0 pixels thick, really, as are many of the walls in AvP) and playing an animation on use. Works like a charm though.

Again, the enemy and weapon sprites may well be different than the Jaguar version as they seem to be harder to get colored correctly. But that's fine, as let's be real here, the AvP sprites have like 2 animations each and would benefit from the slightly more fluid animations of good Doom sprites.

I'll be asking for a lot of opinions in the new thread, but here's a question for you folks now:

Recreate the levels 100% as they existed in the Jag version? Or spice up the atmosphere a bit with darker areas (broken lights in some rooms, maybe), sparks bursting from jammed doors, maybe some burns and the like in areas that may have had battle before you arrived, and that sort of thing?

Edited by Mutantant
  • Like 7

I'll end up making a separate thread for this project soon, but just so those who've helped me so much getting these textures can see them in action, here are some screenshots of the work so far:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4XtP5_vJjsOXo1aGVva3pndG8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4XtP5_vJjsVmdLZ3A5bnJfU28/view?usp=sharing

Note that there is a lot of hackery going on here, which makes it fun. For example, Doom does not support horizontally opening doors, or doors you can see through (like the brig barred doors). So I had to code (using ZDoom's advanced scripting features) a quasi-door that simulates the doors in AvP, being basically a line thick (0 pixels thick, really, as are many of the walls in AvP) and playing an animation on use. Works like a charm though.

Again, the enemy and weapon sprites may well be different than the Jaguar version as they seem to be harder to get colored correctly. But that's fine, as let's be real here, the AvP sprites have like 2 animations each and would benefit from the slightly more fluid animations of good Doom sprites.

I'll be asking for a lot of opinions in the new thread, but here's a question for you folks now:

Recreate the levels 100% as they existed in the Jag version? Or spice up the atmosphere a bit with darker areas (broken lights in some rooms, maybe), sparks bursting from jammed doors, maybe some burns and the like in areas that may have had battle before you arrived, and that sort of thing?

Thats looking excellent. Good job. :)

Shame we cant have both, I'd love a faster running "same" version but also an updated one.

Perhaps a good compromise would be same level layouts with more atmosphere as you said.