Mutantant

Retrieving graphics from AvsP

Thats looking excellent. Good job. :) 

Shame we cant have both, I'd love a faster running "same" version but also an updated one.

Perhaps a good compromise would be same level layouts with more atmosphere as you said.

Well, that is possible. I can't swear I'll do it that way as it will complicate things, but ZDoom has no real level limits. In other words, I can recreate the maps pure vanilla (which I would do before modifying them anyway) and then copy those to a separate section of maps, and make a "game+" version. Then when starting the game, much like one would select the "episode" to play in Doom, you'd select Vanilla or AvP+. Plus could have the ceiling aliens, moody levels, alt fire weapons, acid that melts away, while Vanilla is as much like the original, flaws and all, as I can make it without access to all the art assets.

Last update before I move this to its own thread. The mod is up on ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/jaguar-alien-vs-predator-doom/

Some images of WIP (note the original Jag version screenshot in the lower right):

screen1.png

screen2.png

screen3.png

screen4.png

Thanks again to those who enabled me to get at the wall and floor textures and threw in some comments. Expect credit in the mod :)

This is great!  Looks amazing.

Thanks!

Wow - really nice.  The Jag textures fit in pretty well in a Doom environment.

Yeah, the engines are as similar as they are different. Same basic resolution, texture size, etc. The only odd thing is how the textures are 128x128, which is square, but the game squishes them on the y axis, making them wider than tall. Sounds like an extra step on the already taxed processors, so I'm not sure why they didn't just have the textures at the proper aspect ratio and save cycle. /shrug

If you use the blitter you practically have zero overhead regardless if you want the textures squashed or not. So just a bit of RAM wasted. And of course it probably made testing and the artists' work much easier.

That said, the screenshots look extremely cool, well done! Glad I could give a hand :).

I was bored and had a look into the files, most of them are 8bpp, there are no textures.

I was even more bored and extracted and named (most of) the bitmaps. Converting the 16-bit bitmaps to the Jaguar palette was beyond my means.

Interestingly, the computer log system was originally planned to support images in addition to text, as there are several unused images that correspond with log entries.

For instance these guys:

DM1qRA8.jpg

Obviously go with these entries:

andytext:
ANDREW WHITTAKER
WANTED FOR IMPERSONATING A POLICE OFFICER

miketext:
MIKE BEATON
WANTED FOR WANTON DISREGARD FOR MILESTONES

tobytext:
TOBY HARRISON-BANFIELD
WANTED FOR SULKING IN OFFICE HOURS

stutext:
STUART WILSON
WANTED FOR POSSESSION OF AN AMIGA COMPUTER

In fact I'd like to identify who's who in these pictures. Anyone know? Edited by ZylonBane

Every surface and sprite in AvP is being scaled and redrawn every frame, so a little squashing along one axis is nothing. Worst side effect would be slightly non-square texels.

I imagine they did it to bring the ceiling height down so things would feel more cramped and claustrophobic.

I was even more bored and extracted and named (most of) the bitmaps. Converting the 16-bit bitmaps to the Jaguar palette was beyond my means.

Interestingly, the computer log system was originally planned to support images in addition to text, as there are several unused images that correspond with log entries.

For instance these guys:

DM1qRA8.jpg

Obviously go with these entries:

In fact I'd like to identify who's who in these pictures. Anyone know?

I thought I remembered the person on the left to be Whitakker from some interview I read years ago about the coding for AvP.

I looked for it but didn`t find it. But I found another very interesting article about this person and the name actually being Jane and not Andrew, don`t know if you have seen it already. Doesn`t  help to answer your question but I thought it was an interesting read.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-10-death-threats-false-personas-and-philanthropy-the-untold-story-of-jane-whittaker

Also there is this picture which which might resemble the one on the left the most?

https://web.archive.org/web/20031206194334/http://andreww.atari-users.net/index.htm

I see this topic hasn't been updated in a while, so maybe I can give it my own try.

Have the in-game sprites (enemies, weapons, pickups) been dumped by anyone into a PC-friendly format, and if they have, may I please have them?

Thank you in advance!