IGNORED

My Quest of building a supergun

mehguy

Hi. I've been wanting to build a supergun and it seems to be pretty easy. What do you guys think? Ill probably only play a neo geo mvs on it. I'll be following this diagram:

supergunlayout.jpg

Also, my hardest decision has been trying to find an enclosure for this thing. I like retro stuff and I was thinking of maybe a vcr... Anybody got some ideas?

Edited by mehguy

Hi. I've been wanting to build a supergun and it seems to be pretty easy. What do you guys think? Ill probably only play a neo geo mvs on it. I'll be following this diagram:

supergunlayout.jpg

Also, my hardest decision has been trying to find an enclosure for this thing. I like retro stuff and I was thinking of maybe a vcr... Anybody got some ideas?

How do you plan to connect video to your TV?

I have a new NeoBitz RGB to composite, s-video, component video converter for sale if you need one.

if you would live in europe then a simple scart connection would do fine for most games ;)

I still don't get why scart was never introduced to the US, its a wonderful connection and still used on modern TV's

Great question, and I have no idea of the answer. It does occur to me though that widespread adoption of SCART would have meant less interconnect cable sales.

How do you plan to connect video to your TV?

I have a new NeoBitz RGB to composite, s-video, component video converter for sale if you need one.

I saw one of these on aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GBS8200-ARCADE-GAME-CONVERTER-Board-CGA-RGB-EGA-VGA-to-VGA-to-LCD-Latest-Free-shippingFree/32271736126.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.gfBo3n&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_3_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_10

Its a CGA to VGA converter. Converts the arcade image to standard VGA. But i've heard there are issues with these things and also there are fake ones floating around. Are these any good or should I pay the extra cash to get a proper video encoder?

I saw one of these on aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GBS8200-ARCADE-GAME-CONVERTER-Board-CGA-RGB-EGA-VGA-to-VGA-to-LCD-Latest-Free-shippingFree/32271736126.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.gfBo3n&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_3_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_10

Its a CGA to VGA converter. Converts the arcade image to standard VGA. But i've heard there are issues with these things and also there are fake ones floating around. Are these any good or should I pay the extra cash to get a proper video encoder?

I've not used that one so can't speak to it

Also, I'll want to put some sort of fuses on the supergun. I don't want to be blowing my arcade boards and stuff. From my understanding, I'll need 3 fuses, one for each of the power connections, +5 Volts, -5 Volts, and +12 volts. What kind of fuses would I need and where exactly would I solder in the fuse in the diagram?

Right after the power supply before it hits any part of the circuit

What size is dependent on how much max current your boards can handle

And you want fast blow fuses

ps: fuses wont protect your board or your above circuit , they are there to cut power when something catastrophic happens to your board, which may prevent even more damage, but more importantly prevent the whole thing from going up in flames

Edited by Osgeld

Also, about that audio switch, from my understanding, that is put into place so that the audio isn't amplified twice and doesn't blow my speakers. If I were to be using a raw 8 ohm speaker (which isn't amplified), will I need the switch at all?

Im talking about one of these: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-New-10pcs-speaker-8R-2W-8-ohm-2watt-speaker-Mobile-DVD-EVD-electronic-dog/32299599404.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.OL77Cj&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_0,searchweb201560_9

The problem is that not all boards output at the same level of sound. That's why they put the switch there.

hatver you do, I wouldn't go for the speake you showed. Those are used in phones and toys and give a terrible sound.

If you go for arcade boards then you want a nice sound. And if you are afraid of blowing anything then its a good practice to turn down the volume on the board before turning it of.

Then gently turn it up until the right level.

Long time ago I once baught some arcade parts from the internet. I think it was from Ultimac:

http://www.ultimarc.com/store/section.php?xSec=9&xPage=1&jssCart=c4fb63c2e072ab1ed5efd42a7bacf4dc

I'm pretty sure you can get harnasses cheaper, but ultimac is a trusted seller.

I would say Google is your friend. And while you are at it walk on by eBay. You might find something in the price/quality range that you are looking for.

But ask youself: Do you really need a full "arcade" harness for a supergun? Wouldn't you pay too much for all the extra wire? Your PCB is going to sit close to the other parts anyway so unless you shorten the harness, you will have a lot of wire that needs to be stuffed away.

I would just buy a jamma connector from ebay.

Edited by DrWho198