IGNORED

Atari 400 Keyboard—any good ones out there?

electronizer

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2020 at 9:48 PM, ClausB said:

Yes. BITD I got a surplus 1200XL keyboard and wired it in parallel with my 800's keyboard, with a ribbon cable which passes through a thin slot cut into the seam between the case halves. Ahhh, I could sit back and type on my lap. It would work just as well with a 400.

IMG_20201103_224926.jpg

Sorry this is late, but that is *EXACTLY* the type of thing I was thinking of.  Can I acquire or build something like that?

• Like 1

I have AKI USB keyboard adapters I've installed inside in 2 x A8s (an 800XE and 800XL - See links in my signatures. I actually had it in a 600XL also but since sold that).

Not sure if the module is compatible with an Atari 400 though, (or 800's for that matter). 

The AKI replaces the POKEY socket, (Pokey then piggybacks it) - and connections are made for the Function keys.

https://retrolemon.co.uk/atari-8bit-upgrades/130-aki-usb-keyboard-interface.html

Also not all the keys from A8 keyboards map to modern keyboards with this interface.

Depending on whether compatible you might wanna try the TK II mentioned above - although that is for PS2 keyboards only. Mytek is the creator of TK-II and is on AA.

I use my AKI'd A8s with a wireless USB keyboard. Given my desk has 2 x CRTs, a Windows laptop, a widescreen monitor, an Atari Jaguar and then at present an 800 and 800XL on it, to be able to use my 800XL with a wireless keyboard on my lap and on occasion a wireless mouse (for A8 games that support mice), it's great.:lust:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

Sorry this is late, but that is *EXACTLY* the type of thing I was thinking of.  Can I acquire or build something like that?

IDK whether they're still available.

BTW I recently pulled it out again, connected it and powered it up. Most keys don't work, so I'll have to try that mylar rehabilitation thing.

3 hours ago, kheller2 said:

Similar to the way a 1200 keyboard was hacked in.  It involves work.  

I figured it would require some soldering and similar work, which I'm more than willing to do, but I just don't have the know how to know where to begin. 

18 minutes ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

I figured it would require some soldering and similar work, which I'm more than willing to do, but I just don't have the know how to know where to begin. 

The XEGS schematics would show the keyboard connection circuitry, the 4051 chips are on the keyboard adapter circuit. Most of the connections would be to POKEY or the existing 4051 chips but there are also a few connections to GTIA, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out how to connect comparing schematics for both machines.