IGNORED

Close encounters with rare games

TheAtarianGuy

It's been a while since I've been seriously into buying or collecting any video games, but the other day I was thinking about some games I came across a few years ago. I used to have a guy at my local flea market who ran a video game booth and sold me Atari games, often giving me the first pick whenever he got a new batch. But one time I went there, his friend had just bought a huge lot of various games and accessories from some guy. I can't remember a whole lot of what the guy got, just a lot of stuff in original boxes. I remember seeing a stack of shrinkwrapped and boxed 2600 games I couldn't believe. In the stack, I remember seeing Glib, Quest for Quintana Roo, Boing!,Out of Control, and a couple Bomb titles I didn't get to examine. Unfortunately, I never had the chance (or money) to pick up any of these games. Anybody else here ever find rare games that you had to pass on?

Looking in Value Village around 20 years ago north of Seattle, I looked at the cartridges and saw nothing worth getting. As I was leaving, I looked in a case by the door with cassettes. There were 2 Arcadia/Starpath cassettes. I don't think they knew what they were, so they were around a dollar each. I don't remember which ones they were as I have since collected others, but these were the first I had seen anywhere. Very exciting.

This wasn't a game per se, but a complete Genesis, Sega CD, 32X set up with all of the hook ups and wires was at a Goodwill around 6-7 years ago. Don't remember the price, but it was pretty fair. Unfortunately, that Sumguy was right in front of me in line and he snarfed it up.

There have been numerous games I have thought about getting at the time but did either because I had a back log already or could not justify spending more money, so I put it back. Then years later, they are rare and expensive.

Edited by cybercylon

Star Wars confusion. Maybe not rare, but I kick myself now. Just the other day I was at a local shop that had some common titles. Mixed in the batch was a Parker Bros. Star Wars: The Arcade Game. I knew I had a couple of Star Wars titles and thought I had that one. Wrong! It is one of the more rarer S.W.s titles, and the best. They had it for 2 Bucks. Low and behold, I didn't have it, went back...gone. Now on Ebay they sell for about $30! Piss! But, I did find a Xonox double ender, my first. Sir Lancelot/Robin Hood. I did snap it up. Had to clean the edges, but it works great!

Years ago, back in the rec.games.video.classic days, there was one other collector in my area who also posted on Usenet. One day I was planning to hit a local indoor flea market where I often had good luck, but it snowed and I decided not to risk the icy country roads. That night, the other collector posted that he found 2600 Crazy Climber at that flea. I hate that I missed it, but am glad it went to somebody who appreciated it.

About 15 years ago I was in a shop (now defunct, sadly) that had all kinds of retro stuff (including quite a few Jaguar and Vectrex carts IIRC). They had Chase The Chuckwagon, which was considered a holy grail at the time, but for $300 I had to take a hard pass. Good thing, since now CTCW can be had for less than a hundred.

Mentioned this before, about 1992 in UK Reading I went to this computer shop like sometimes, once every two months or so. I decided to have a look, seeing last time I managed to pick up for C64 FS II Scenery disks folder set for $2.

I'm outside the shop checking out the window display and I see approx. 10 - 12 cib PAL Boing! lined up all in a row, $1 each.

Wasn't collecting much VCS at the time, but I thought for a buck, I pick one up, so I did, not knowing about the rarity (just heard about 2600 Connection and DP at the time). I should have picked up all of them.

Later when I sold my VCS collection the Boing! ended up here on the AtariBoxed.com, rarity guide, where you can see it nowadays. http://www.atariboxed.com/index.php?go=detail&modul_refnumber=70

Edited by high voltage