IGNORED

Best way/device to test/develop software?

juice2839

What do you guys use to test/develop your software on the real CV hardware? What I would really like is a cartridge with a USB cable connected to my PC so that I could quickly send bins over for testing. For example turn off the CV, send bin to cartridge through USB, turn on CV, test and repeat until software is debugged. If there is nothing like this what is the next best thing? The AtariMax? I don't have a problem getting one and using one if it works decent, I will probably wear out the SD card socket on my laptop and it though. I really like the USB to cartridge Idea. If someone has one already for sale and made that would be great. Right now I am using my Eprom programmer to write to a Dallas NV 32K x 8 Ram IC and plugging it into a socket on a test cartridge PCB. It works okay, but I would like a little bit more efficient system if there is one.

Thanks for any input.

What do you guys use to test/develop your software on the real CV hardware? What I would really like is a cartridge with a USB cable connected to my PC so that I could quickly send bins over for testing. For example turn off the CV, send bin to cartridge through USB, turn on CV, test and repeat until software is debugged. If there is nothing like this what is the next best thing? The AtariMax? I don't have a problem getting one and using one if it works decent, I will probably wear out the SD card socket on my laptop and it though. I really like the USB to cartridge Idea. If someone has one already for sale and made that would be great. Right now I am using my Eprom programmer to write to a Dallas NV 32K x 8 Ram IC and plugging it into a socket on a test cartridge PCB. It works okay, but I would like a little bit more efficient system if there is one.

Thanks for any input.

That is the same way I work, yes it takes time, plus I use a 512 eeprom, so i have to take the rom file and full the first 7fff of the rom, before programming the eeprom.

What could be nice if there was an interface like a eprom, connected to usb, then this device could be pluged into the testcard. I think there is something called USB EPROM SIMULATOR but i guess is rare to find and very expencive.

That's a good idea. You know that wouldn't be that hard to make. You could even make a quick prototype using a Arduino Nano. Just use some shift registers with the Arduino, some ram with a battery back up and the hard part some windows software. Sometime if I ever get a chance I'll make one.. Maybe in a month or 2 I'd have a chance.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just burn EPROMs, and put them in a pcb with ZIF socket (essentially the same as the "Homebrew kit CV prototype"). Back when I started writing games, there was no real alternative. And by now, for years I never experienced a problem on real hardware that I could not reproduce in the simulator, so the effort for testing on real hardware is not that much, as I don't have to burn that many EPROMs. I still do quite some testing on hardware, mostly to try the two-player mode with a friend. But when you go to another place for the testing, the relative effort of burning/erasing EPROMs is not that much either.

Philipp