IGNORED

Help Troubleshoot 2600 Resetting

pwb454

Howdy folks,

I just got my first 2600, an all black 4 switcher. I am having a trouble with the console resetting. it happens after 3-5 mins any game i play either freezes or goes to black no matter what i do. i have already run through the basic stuff like making sure the games are clean, etc. this afternoon i re-flowed some suspicious solder joints at the power plug and switches, but the problem is persistent. i am also experiencing some occasional odd joystick behavior, but havent been able to run a game long enough to say if it is related.

I am handy with a soldering iron but i dont have any sort of formal electronics training. i could really use a bit of guidance about what components i might want to start checking. I can provide board pics if necessary, nothing in there looks burnt up or anything.

I would really like to get this thing running a little more stable so i can start really digging into some of these games. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

It could be a dry joint problem in that as the unit heats up contact is no longer made, if so the first joints I would try resoldering are...

The 6532 (A202) pin 34 adn the accociated 24K Resistor (R217) and the 0.1uF/100nF Capacitor (C220) - these concern the power on reset of the 6532.

Connector J201, Pin 8, 6532 (A202) pin 34 and the .01uF/10nF Capacitor (C227) - these concern the input to the 6523 from the Reset switch.

Also...

6523 (A202) pins 1 & 20 - power

6507 (A200) pins 1, 2 & 4 - reset & power as well as the associated reset components, 10K Resistor (R206) and 4.7uF Capacitor (C201)

TIA (A201) pins 1, 11, 20, 22 & 23 - power, chip select and Oscillator input.

All three pins of the 7805 (A203) voltage regulator as it may be the whole board is loosing power but you could check that with a DVM if you have one.

Note: Component reference numbers in brackets are only a guide as they change from revision to revision so you may have to visually verify the connections to ensure have the correct components.

• Like 1

Sounds like power supply issue. I'd check for 5v and if it's dropping at the output of 7805, check the AC adapter and the caps leading to input. Also try a different AC adapter. If the adapter is not dropping, replace 7805. 7805 can fail from old age after 35 years.

If you are getting good 5v output, bad solder joint could be an issue. Did you try reseating all the big chips? Nearly all of 2600 used sockets.

• Like 1

6507 (A200) pins 1, 2 & 4 - reset & power as well as the associated reset components, 10K Resistor (R206) and 4.7uF Capacitor (C201)

You called it my man! Nasty joint right there at pin 4. Ran the thing about an hour last night and this morning with no crashes.

Thanks again! Ill be seein' y'all in the high score and programming forums real soon!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...