IGNORED

If you had to get rid of one system in your collection, which would it be?

So everyone. Here is a hypothetical question. If you had to choose a console in your gameroom to part ways with, which would be the one you get rid of? I would choose the Nintendo Game Cube. Some of the games in the library are good and most aren't so good. Other than the Nintendo branded games many of the others are on the PS2 and Xbox. The thing I would most miss is my Game Boy player adapter. But I can live without it as I have the NES themed GBA SP. Let me hear yours.

• Like 1

Oh ho--something very much on my mind recently. I keep things pretty tight as is but I look at two candidates pretty often:

My Gamecube (really only hanging around for Mario party)

&

My Genesis (which me never really being a Sega guy I didn't really grow a good library for, but I like the Dick Tracy game, being a big Dick Tracy fan).

I could lose either system and not feel too awful.

So everyone. Here is a hypothetical question. If you had to choose a console in your gameroom to part ways with, which would be the one you get rid of? I would choose the Nintendo Game Cube. Some of the games in the library are good and most aren't so good. Other than the Nintendo branded games many of the others are on the PS2 and Xbox. The thing I would most miss is my Game Boy player adapter. But I can live without it as I have the NES themed GBA SP. Let me hear yours.

Ah, poor gamecube! I kind of like that little console, it takes up so little room and I bought it just to play Resident Evil and Mario Kart back in the day.

For me it would be my Coleco Gemini, its not really a good looking console at all and I've got a Sears Telegames light sixer (I think) or the expansion module 2 for my Coleco/Adam anyway.

Oh ho--something very much on my mind recently. I keep things pretty tight as is but I look at two candidates pretty often:

My Gamecube (really only hanging around for Mario party)

&

My Genesis (which me never really being a Sega guy I didn't really grow a good library for, but I like the Dick Tracy game, being a big Dick Tracy fan).

I could lose either system and not feel too awful.

I could NEVER live without my Sega Genesis. That is one of my favorites. Game Cube I like Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion the best.

Ah, poor gamecube! I kind of like that little console, it takes up so little room and I bought it just to play Resident Evil and Mario Kart back in the day.

For me it would be my Coleco Gemini, its not really a good looking console at all and I've got a Sears Telegames light sixer (I think) or the expansion module 2 for my Coleco/Adam anyway.

I've heard about the Gemini being problematic due to the controller ports and power ports solder becoming brittle and falling apart.

I got rid of all the consoles that I didn't like: SNES, Sega Master System, Odyssey 2, Sega Genesis and some standalone Pong consoles. I couldn't justify these consoles hanging around taking up storage space and collecting dust.

I still have an N64, GameCube, PS and PS2 that only my kids play. If they decide they don't want them when they move out of the house then I'll sell those off too. Although, I might keep the N64 since I recently invested in an Everdrive.

I could NEVER live without my Sega Genesis. That is one of my favorites. Game Cube I like Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion the best.

Ha! The best part about this is seeing the reactions to answers I think, not the answer itself.

I'm looking at VectorGamer up there and I'm thinking "he got rid of a SNES?" :-o :-D

• Like 1

I'm looking at VectorGamer up there and I'm thinking "he got rid of a SNES?" :-o :-D

I almost exclusively play pre-crash consoles and golden age arcade games because I enjoy the games of that era and really nothing else. So selling off those consoles I did with no regret.

I could come up with a short list of games that I enjoy playing that are post-NES:

Road Rash 2

Daytona USA

Crazy Taxi

Pac-Man Battle Royale

Pac-Man CE-DX+

Oh man, all those poor unloved GameCubes! :lol:

This was a really difficult question for me to ponder, but if I'm being completely honest with myself it would be my Atari 2600; and it's all this thing's fault.

Ever since I got that multicade last summer I've noticed my Atari 2600 play times going down and down, because 98% of the time whenever I want to play a game on the 2600 I remember that I can play the same game with better graphics and sound on the multicade. There are a couple gems on the 2600 that I can't play on the multicade, but even those rarely get played because half the time my Atari 2600's picture just turns to complete white out static after a few minutes when I try to play a game on it. I've been through four different Atari 2600 systems over the last 2 years and I've yet to find one that worked right for more than a couple months before something went horribly wrong with it; and frankly I'm just kinda fed up with the unreliable hardware and having to fix or replace the system all the time.

So, of the systems I currently own (Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, PS1, Wii, Game Boy Color, AGS-101 Game Boy Advance SP, and a Centipede bartop multicade) if there was one I had to get rid of it would be the Atari 2600. Which is a darn shame, since I own more games for the Atari than any other system; around 140 the last time I counted. But between the fact that I can play the original arcade versions of all the Atari games I like the most and all the trouble I've had with the hardware of 2600 systems it would be the one to get the boot... and I'd use the money from selling it to buy a GameCube with a Game Boy Player. :D

Edited by Jin

Simple. I'd part with my Sega Saturn. I picked it up cheap (around $10), and only got a couple of games for it. Never actually bought anything else for it because Saturn stuff just doesn't turn up all that often here. However, it's a bit unfair as what I'd consider my Saturn "collection" isn't a collection at all. Merely four games. And there's almost no nostalgic attachment to it whatsoever, though I do enjoy it.

Now, a question that would make you think: What if you were forced to give up your entire collection, save for three systems. What three could you absolutely not bare to part ways with? That's a tougher pill to swallow. For me, I'd say the Atari 2600, NES, and Game Boy. Those are the systems I tend to have the most emotional attachment to.

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Now, a question that would make you think: What if you were forced to give up your entire collection, save for three systems. What three could you absolutely not bare to part ways with? That's a tougher pill to swallow. For me, I'd say the Atari 2600, NES, and Game Boy. Those are the systems I tend to have the most emotional attachment to.

I'd keep ColecoVision, Atari 7800 and Vectrex NES Vectrex NES Vectrex NES can't decide on the third one

NES

Atari 7800 (cheating a bit there as you can play 2600 on it, though I don't normally)

Third one is hard...it's either Turbografx or N64. I like the Turbo library 10x better overall but the N64 has some of my all time favorite games on it.

Like many, I've already trimmed down the collection, but of what I've got left, would have to be one of the Flashback systems. Probably the Genesis one. Do those count?

Not at a stage yet where I would want to lose any of the staples and for me, that includes the 2600/7800, Jaguar, Amiga's, TI-99, C64, PC Engine and PS2. Oooh, which reminds me... guess I could let my PS3 system go and wouldn't feel too bad about it. Haven't touched her in months! Yep, going with the PS3 on this one. :rolling:

2 systems, over 60 games and a few cool peripherals - but am just never compelled to play anymore. Isn't that weird? :lol:

I would not part with my Atari 2600, Colecovision, and NES. I have 5 2600 systems so would I be forced to surrender 4 of the 5 :lol:

I'd keep the Atari 2600, Colecovision, and Intellivision. I'd cry as I got rid of the 5200, but if I could keep my Atari computers I'd be OK.

Magnavox Odyssey 2

It's in great condition, but it just sits there doing nothing. I kind of feel like I've abandoned it.

I wonder if our forgotten game consoles get together when we are not around, longing to be played with, like the toys in toy story 3...

• Like 1

I recently got rid of my Atari 5200, Atari 400, Colecovision, Intellivision, and Odyssey 2 stuff. After 10+ years of owning them I never really got into them that much and I have minimal nostalgia for each of them. The Colecovision and Intellivision Flashbacks are suitable replacements for me. That's the extent of my classic console purge, I think. As for later consoles, I would probably sell my 32X, Dreamcast, and Xbox if I had to, but I'd rather not.

You would be surprised what one will get rid of when you really have to. :(

I owned just about every console you could think of (that was released in the USA up to the year 1999 minus Playstation) and then some. 2004 came and life changed greatly. I spent the next four years selling off the vast majority of my collection that I started in 1994. Ten years to build and four to get rid of.

I got rid of:

- 28 Atari 2600 consoles (all different ones, vaders, heavy/light sixers, tele games, and jrs). Each console was sold with: switch box, matching transformer, two controllers, two sets of paddle controller, 2 driving controllers and about 35 game carts.

- 4 Atari 5200 consoles. (two four ports and two 2 ports). Each console was sold with switch box, two working controllers and 10 game carts.

- 4 Colecovision consoles. Sold with two controllers, switch box 15-20 game carts.

- 3 Atari 7800 consoles with controllers and games

- 6 Intellivisions (one INTV system III, one Intellivision II, one Tandyvision, one Super video Arcade, and two standard) all working with at least 10 boxed games and about 10 loose games.

- Astrocade

- Arcadia 2100 and just about every cart made for it.

- Bunch of pong/clone units (including a complete boxed Telstar Arcade with 3 carts)

- Vectrex

- several atari computers (1200XL, 600XL, 800XL, two XEGS) and tons of 8-bit carts

- several OD2's and carts

- two channel F's and carts

- Hand helds, Table tops

- several Sega Master Systems and carts

etc, etc…

Okay, I got tired of typing. Basically a lot of video game stuff. That list is about half of the stuff I got rid of. Vast majority of this collection was acquired between 1994-1999. Most of this equipment was bought from second hand stores (like Goodwill & Salvation Army). Back then you could pick-up consoles (mostly complete) between $3.00 to $5.00 and most carts were $0.25 to $1.00 each. Back then, that tech was consider door stops by most and they would either throw it in the trash or donate it to second hand stores. The rest of the stuff I got rid of was what I considered newer stuff at the time. Most of which I bought outright new or as "lots" on ebay. Atari ST stuff, Atari Jaguars stuff (almost complete collection), Sega Saturns, 3DOs, Genesis's, SNESs, N64s...I'll just stop there as its sad to think of all the video games stuff I once had.

I did keep a few things, but my collections is a shadow of what it once was. I really didn't spend all the much on this stuff at the time, but if I was to try to get back that collection it would take a fortune. When I got rid of most of this stuff prices were still fairly low. If I had this stuff to sell today, I could've made a killing.

Edited by pboland

Now that is a hard one! If I could only have three systems I know straight off that one of them would be the original PlayStation, but the other two are much harder to decide on. I'm tempted to say the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance SP (the backlit AGS-101 model) but part of me really wants to drop one of those two for a GameCube with a Game Boy Player attachment. I really love the ergonomics and screen on the Game Boy Color, but I know that I could still play all my Game Boy and Game Boy Color games on the GBA SP too for handheld gaming fixes; and there's just too many amazing games on the GameCube to pass it up (including ports of most of my favorite Sega Genesis games).

So, if I really had to pick just three, they would be:

Game Boy Advance SP (AGS-101 backlit model)

GameCube w/ Game Boy Player

PlayStation