IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2015 Championship

DZ-Jay

Wow! I just woke up to the sound of Christmas spirit! So many replies so far!

I'll be updating the leaderboard build script this week to support the "Elite Knight Elf" (veteran) category, so expect the scores to go up by the end of the week. Great job so far!

Question. Can Rev and I combine our scores due to us being awful? Or better yet, can we have our own two person category?

C'mon, cmart! I created a special kiddie category just for you. Just post a darn score this year! :P

By the way, Rev can't play because he found a loop-hole in the rules: He agreed to be a judge for the competition and now he's not eligible for prizes. :lol:

So watch out everyone! Rev will apply his spammy judgemental attitude on your scores!!! :o Good thing we have some other special guests as judges to keep things clean. I will announce them later.

Okee doke. Here's the worst score ever posted on this game. ;) Still getting the hang of maneuvering around the ghost and getting a feel for when he is chasing Carol or just wandering....

The snowman is ruthless.....

234_zpsy9ovru98.png

Oh my! That's a really good starting score, Opry99er! I'm serious! :)

It definitely is not the worse posted in the championship (I think we had a 2 year-old last year smash the control to get 27 points :lol:). Like pimpmaul69 said, practice makes perfect, and consider that most of the veterans and winners on previous competitions started just like you.

There are plenty of achievements and other goals to help you advance throughout the competition. Also, make sure to visit some of the old Tips & Tricks threads from years past, where people post their favourite techniques:

I will be posting some tips this year as well... soon! :)

Thank you. :)

Looks like I'll need quite a bit of practice.

Should I be going for PERFECTs right off, or just get presents and advance? I have yet to get a PERFECT, regardless of what I try. I keep getting waxed by the snowman once he speeds up.

I go for PERFECTs all the time, but that's my OCD kicking in, which won't let me leave a piece of candy lying around. For Ultimate Maximum Scorage, you'll probably have to get PERFECTS, since the bonuses get higher on higher level.

However, I personally recommend you try to get as far in the game as possible, there are plenty of points to be had if you get far, and once you complete the game once you'll get a better sense of the mechanics. You'll also figure out which levels are easier to complete PERFECT, and go the extra mile on those.

In the end, it's your choice... there are two camps in this game, you just have to pick which one befits you: Are you a completist? Or are you a leveler? Perhaps a bit of both?

Ahh, those achievement goals are neat!!

I achieved several on these first two posted games. :)

Yeah! And I'll be announcing some Achievement Challenges throughout the month so keep visiting the forum! There will be additional prizes and awards -- everybody is a winner in this championship, especially the ones who just started! :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

Thank you. :)

Looks like I'll need quite a bit of practice.

Should I be going for PERFECTs right off, or just get presents and advance? I have yet to get a PERFECT, regardless of what I try. I keep getting waxed by the snowman once he speeds up.

The perfects are nice to brag about, but they are worth more on the later levels.

Level 1 & 2 are worth 10 points.

3 & 4 are worth 20.

5 & 6 are worth 30.

7 & 8 are worth 40.

My recommendations:

You will sometimes get perfects on 1 & 2, but don't try to hard for them. Not enough points to lose a life over.

Level 3 is the EVIL Candy Cove, just go for survival :-o.

Level 4, 5 and 6, try for perfects. Check out the tips for 4 and 5, there are some that will make them SO much easier.

Level 7, another dash and survive level. I recommend getting the present in the middle EARLY then duck, dash and snowflake your way to the presents!

Level 8, once you learn to control the "boss", you should be able to get perfects every time.

And yes, the patches (and mugs!) are worth the time and look great on your shelf (and are great for bragging rights :-D).

post-31049-0-63841500-1448976647_thumb.jpg

Good luck and practice often!

• Like 3

Man, I need one in the worst way... Flash back. Wow!

I am scouring local shops for an Intellivision. Havent had one since I was a kid, and now I need one so I can buy a copy of Christmas Carol and play on the real hardware. :)

good luck finding a christmas carol. You might wanna buy a multi cart when one releases pretty soon here and put the rom on it.
  • Like 1

It's great to be back.

Let's start playing, posting and hopefully aiming for the World Record! :)

carol_6895.png

And for the achievements.

A Pefect Christmas.

perfect_xmas.png

this new classification puts me pitted against you, fushek and grips :mad: :lol: a little busy this week but i plan on getting a lot of good gaming on. I will be happy if i can get grand elf master.
  • Like 2

Improved my score, but not by much. :)

This is a great game.

470_zpsxs094lfd.png

What do you mean, "not by much"? That's almost twice as much in only one day. :):thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P.S. that's Icicle Lane, one of my very favourite levels. It was a lot of fun to design and test too. Contrary to Candy Cove, which I hate with the burning passion of a thousand suns. :mad:

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Well I tell ya... I have played a whole lot of St. Nick (Christmas themed game for the TI-99/4A) and this one has supplanted it as my favorite.

Started playing some 'Stay Frosty 2' for the VCS as well just recently. The more I play Christmas Carol, the more I want to play it... If that makes any sense.

That is the mark of a great game with very high replay value. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 2

What do you mean, "not by much"? That's almost twice as much in only one day. :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P.S. that's Icicle Lane, one of my very favourite levels. It was a lot of fun to design and test too. Contrary to Candy Cove, which I hate with the burning passion of a thousand suns. :mad:

candy cove Isnt that bad. Get a good pattern and you can get the presents fairly easy. Dont get me wrong its still the worst level out there but its ok. Level one sucks horribly to lose your presents on after you have saved christmas. It cost me 3 lives to beat it on a game i was playing last night. Edited by pimpmaul69

candy cove Isnt that bad. Get a good pattern and you can get the presents fairly easy. Dont get me wrong its still the worst level out there but its ok. Level one sucks horribly to lose your presents on after you have saved christmas. It cost me 3 lives to beat it on a game i was playing last night.

I can get PERFECT on level #1 every time. I still hate Candy Cove. I wish a pox upon the house of the designer. Oh wait! :o

• Like 3

I can get PERFECT on level #1 every time. I still hate Candy Cove. I wish a pox upon the house of the designer. Oh wait! :o

this was the first time i had a problem on it. The disc slipped out of my hand and the ghost got me. I just learned how hard it was to get them back on level one after saving christmas.
  • Like 1