IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2015 Championship

DZ-Jay

Finally had time to play, pretty much the first time I've really played the game. One day I'll put up Fushek and Grips03 type scores :)

attachicon.gif575.jpg

Great initial score, bradd1978! That's the spirit! And don't worry, there's plenty of time to catch up to Fushek and grips03. :)

Make sure to check out the tips and tricks threads linked to on the first post. There's plenty of information there to help you figure out how to beat the game. Also, I'd like to remind you and everyone that there is indeed a "Practice Mode" in the game, where you can practice any level at any skill rank, except the Boss Level.

The typical practice routine of the veterans has been:

• Play the game until you die;
  • Go to "Practice Mode" and practice that last level until you beat it;
  • Go play the game again and try to beat that level;
  • Wash, rinse, repeat.

Just an update on the leaderboard: I'm still working on the script to build the leaderboards. I thought i finally fixed it last year so that it can be re-used as is -- and then I went ahead and changed the rules! :o It's almost ready, and I expect to post the scores later today.

Keep at it! The challenge is on!

-dZ.

• Like 1

I'm updating the achievements database now and came across Darrin9999's entry:

Darrin9999 - 2042

a few perfects and a saved christmas! and kickin it old school!

Even though there's a "Stick-em" on a disc, I will count it for the "Kickin' It Old-skool," since those sticks were available back in the day and many of us used them (useless as they may have been!).

-dZ.

• Like 1

For this round I used the Sears disc. Only difference is the thumb gets tired :)

Wait!!! An original Master Component I with plug-in Sears controllers? What sort of sorcery is this!? :o

How can I acquire such a magical beast?

• Like 1

Just catching up with some comments...

even though it froze he still gets the ranger rank correct?

Yes! You are right. The game froze after finishing the Boss Level, so he should get the rank. I'll take care of it. Thanks for pointing it out.

SiLic0ne t0aD85 - High Score = 1043

I got the earlier levels about mastered, a few perfects levels 1 through 5.. however, I still need a ton of practice.. especially on those later levels 5 through 10. Using my custom SuperVideoArcade Controller and also kickin' it old school! Well.. at least with a 2609 bottom and a Sears top. I hope this counts. ;)
attachicon.gif 20151201_233642-1.jpgattachicon.gif 20151201_224651.jpg
Anyways that's my first go at it.. I'm very stoked to be in this contest! :-)
attachicon.gif 20151201_233027.jpgattachicon.gif 20151201_225657.jpg

Do you mean that your console has a 2906 bottom and a Sears top? Wow! That's some franken-tellivision right there! :o

Unfortunately that doesn't count for the "Kickin' It Old-Skool" achievement. You have to play on a stock Master Component, no frills, no thrills, no extra hardware, and no modifications. Show us your old-skool retro spirit by playing a round in plain-vanilla, and take a picture. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Just catching up with some comments...

Yes! You are right. The game froze after finishing the Boss Level, so he should get the rank. I'll take care of it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Do you mean that your console has a 2906 bottom and a Sears top? Wow! That's some franken-tellivision right there! :o

Unfortunately that doesn't count for the "Kickin' It Old-Skool" achievement. You have to play on a stock Master Component, no frills, no thrills, no extra hardware, and no modifications. Show us your old-skool retro spirit by playing a round in plain-vanilla, and take a picture. :)

-dZ.

the sears intv and intv I have the same bottoms. I think he should still be able to qualify as long as the controller shown in the pic is stock.
  • Like 2

I didn't feel like drilling holes in the sears bottom and my 2609 had to be repaired so I just combined them. I do use the stock controller sometimes also, just depends on what mood im in. :)

OK then, no worries. Your frankentellivision counts as old-skool. :)

• Like 1

This game is great ! One of the best in Intellivision for sure!

Welcome back, scalpel! Or should I say, Dr. Pascal. :)

It's always nice to see the veterans coming back.

I'm almost done updating the database with all scores so far. The leaderboard should go up soon.

Also, I would like to remind everybody that you need to post scores on 12 consecutive days to earn the 12 Days Of Christmas achievement. I haven't seen many scores today...

-dZ.

============================================================

ATTENTION! ACHTUNG! ATTENTION! ACHTUNG! ATTENTION! ACHTUNG!

============================================================

The official Carol Vs. The World! Championship leaderboard is finally up!

I apologize for the delay, but applying support for the new veteran rules proved to be more challenging than expected. I appreciate everyone's patience and invite you all to go see the rankings. I've also updated the first post with the HSC rankings and general statistics (e.g., once again it seems that Candy Cove is the cave where Santa's Elves go to die!).

Great work everyone! Fantastic scores so far, but we're just starting, so get crackin'! Remember there are plenty of achievements...

-dZ.

• Like 2

Well, I've been in the Christmas spirit lately... Playing this game has helped. ;)

The theme music at startup was so well done that it stuck in my head all day, every day. I decided to code my own little version of 'Carol of the Bells' in TI Extended BASIC, with a little 'Ghosty' twist.

The camera I was using to film has a terrible built in camera, so hopefully you get the drift. ;) If anyone is interested, I LIST the code at the end of the video.... for all you coding nerds like me out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E__PXCkAE5Y&feature=youtu.be

• Like 5