IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2015 Championship

DZ-Jay

DZ-Jay,

How do you know what levels we die on?

Hmmm... Because I'm puh-sykick... :ponder:

cause our high scores pics are on the level we died on.

DOH! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In the database, I record whether the high score photo or screenshot was on the "Game Over" screen. It doesn't have to be, I just ask for the score. However, in practice it turns out that people take a picture at the end of the game.

My leaderboard build script then keeps track of which levels are the most "popular" for these death scenes. I post the statistics I calculate on the first post, following the "top rankings," which is the player rankings ordered purely by score, just like if it were a regular HSC.

The statistics have some bias built in, however. Since I record every single entry submitted -- one database entry per picture sent, even in the same post -- it reflects what players are submitting. That is, if one player submitted 10 "Game Over" screenshots on Candy Cove, that's 10 votes for that level as the deadliest one. This may just mean that the particular player has trouble on that level, not that it is really deadly to everybody.

All that said, most of the time it shows that Candy Cove is the deadliest level -- which I believe to be very true. (Sometimes it shows "Frosted Maze" as the killer, which I cannot imagine why. It's one of the easiest levels and I always get a Perfect on it at any difficulty!)

IntyBASIC is fun. ;)

carolinty_zpsggl3upoc.png

Oh dear! That's cool! :cool::thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've updated the official leaderboard and the ranks and stats on the first post. (Note: Candy Cove is back at the top of Mr. Death's agenda!!!)

I'm also disturbed by the many deaths counted on Frosted Maze, which I consider one of the easiest levels, so I will post a video solution and some tips for it.

Great job everyone! :thumbsup:

-dZ.

Here you go... The Frosted Maze Solution. :)

for me candy cove is still the worst. I play 3-4 times up to level 5-6 and get my butt kicked on it then i get pissed off and restart. Then i play a game where it doesnt kill me or repeatedly take my presents and i move on.

Edit: i went through all my posts and candy cove is definitely my achilles heel.

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

for me candy cove is still the worst. I play 3-4 times up to level 5-6 and get my butt kicked on it then i get pissed off and restart. Then i play a game where it doesnt kill me or repeatedly take my presents and i move on.

Edit: i went through all my posts and candy cove is definitely my achilles heel.

There is no "cure" for Candy Cove, but I'll share my plan for what it's worth:

Go immediately through the tunnel to the left and start in the upper right hand corner. Grab BOTH presents making sure to leave to leave the FIRST snowflake to cover your exit. Grab that exit snowflake on your way out and run straight down grabbing the present below on your way to the present/snowflake in the lower right hand corner. After grabbing that, take the right side tunnel and pick up the present/snowflake at the bottom left then, right above, grab the present and THEN the snowflake (unless someone is on your heels then hit the snowflake first). That snowflake is your ticket up to the upper left chamber. Immediately grab that snowflake and the remaining presents.

This strategy doesn't get you a lot of points, but Candy Cove is legendary for being a multi-life losing level ... if that ghost hits you near the end, you can easily loose three or four lives trying to navigate that level without snowflakes to cover your exits.

• Like 2

For Candy Cove:

I go left, then grab 2 presents and 1 snowflake in top right.

Then I make my way to top left.

I grab 2 presents and snowflake in top left

Then I clear out the bottom part of the screen in whatever order makes sense.

On bottom half of screen I get snowflake first, then presents. This helps to prevent quick moving ghost from running into Carol.

• Like 2

There is no "cure" for Candy Cove, but I'll share my plan for what it's worth:

Go immediately through the tunnel to the left and start in the upper right hand corner. Grab BOTH presents making sure to leave to leave the FIRST snowflake to cover your exit. Grab that exit snowflake on your way out and run straight down grabbing the present below on your way to the present/snowflake in the lower right hand corner. After grabbing that, take the right side tunnel and pick up the present/snowflake at the bottom left then, right above, grab the present and THEN the snowflake (unless someone is on your heels then hit the snowflake first). That snowflake is your ticket up to the upper left chamber. Immediately grab that snowflake and the remaining presents.

This strategy doesn't get you a lot of points, but Candy Cove is legendary for being a multi-life losing level ... if that ghost hits you near the end, you can easily loose three or four lives trying to navigate that level without snowflakes to cover your exits.

funny you said it. I always start with the top left corner. After the first christmas i leave the top snowflake. I just try to get perfects at least past candy cove. I still need the perfect christmas so i will continue trying to get a perfect christmas until i do. I had 10 perfect christmas' last year and almost had one on my last game. Been really busy with drs appointments and raspberry pi stuff all week. Next week i am free to play a lot and get my score up hopefully. Plus the intellivision controller is a learning experience for me since i have so little experience using the intellivision controller and didnt use it last year. Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

For Candy Cove:

I go left, then grab 2 presents and 1 snowflake in top right.

Then I make my way to top left.

I grab 2 presents and snowflake in top left

Then I clear out the bottom part of the screen in whatever order makes sense.

On bottom half of screen I get snowflake first, then presents. This helps to prevent quick moving ghost from running into Carol.

yup exactly what i do. After the first christmas i leave the top left snowflake. I dont do it on the first christmas cause i need a perfect christmas Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 2