IGNORED

Price Check / FS: New Cart & Manual Copy Of Princess Rescue for Atari 2600

Skippy B. Coyote

Hey there guys and gals. I'm posting here because I'm trying to get an accurate idea of what the current market value for a new/sealed cart & manual copy of Princess Rescue is.

CLyNDB4.jpg

2SuEGMg.jpg

sGhyeQR.jpg

UYMK87v.jpg

I did see a copy on eBay recently go for $400, and being a little short on cash for December rent and Christmas gifts this year I decided to put my copy up on eBay for the same price as a 7 day auction. The short version of the story is that it got a lot of watchers but no bids, so I re-listed it "Buy It Now" for the same price and after another week of waiting it still hasn't sold.

Since I'm still short on cash for the necessities this month I'm looking to get my copy sold ASAP, but I don't want to end up letting it go for less than it's actually worth so I'm hoping you fine folks might be able to advise me on what a fair asking price for this game would be. I've currently got my copy marked down to $350 but it still hasn't sold yet and I'm starting to get a bit nervous about my financial situation. Do you guys/gals think that's a fair asking price?

Also, if anyone here would like to make me an offer via PM I'd be happy sell my copy to someone here on AtariAge rather than through eBay. :)

Edited by Jin

Start it at 1 cent for 10 days and you will find out exactly what it's worth.

EDIT: Why did you delete everyone's comments from your status update about this auction?

I had considered listing it like that, but there's just been way too many times that I've gotten screwed out of fairly substantial chunks of money by listing valuable items on eBay with starting prices of less than what they were actually worth. It's always a gamble when you list something at a low price with no reserve. Sometimes the bidding gets up to or exceeds the actual value of the item, and sometimes it ends up going for way less than what you should have gotten for it. It's a major gamble, and when I find myself short on money for the necessities and trying to sell something valuable I'd rather not gamble with my income.

As far as the status goes, there were some people getting a little rude with their comments and I'd rather not have to deal with anyone's drama when I'm just trying to make a sale to pay the bills. Thus, status was locked and comments were deleted.

I've got Mario bros on the Genesis cib. Should that be pulled as well? Hmmmmmm. I wonder

Oh and I'm sure I have my Mario still sealed as I think the rom was out there? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I even have Atari Mario for Nes boxed?

Edited by Chris Leach

I hope you don't consider this a rude reply, but you asked the question and I think this will be the general consensus:

$400 is an outrageously high price. But, its well known that if you post rare stuff on ebay at a very high price, there's a chance that someone for whom money is no object will decide they want it when they want it, and they will pay that price. Look around and you'll see sellers that do this with tons of games, reposted every time the auction goes unbought, hoping for that chance. And they do it because like I said, it works. You just don't get to decide when (or if) it sells.

If you want to control when it sells, your only option is to list it as an auction, publicize it as well as you are able, and see what the going price is.

A boxed copy went at auction for just above $200 recently, and a loose cart got no bids at $99. I doubt that this was a case of something valuable slipping under the radar. Its more likely that this is the current value for these games. Quite a good return on what they were bought for, but your fortune is in another castle.

PS. Financial difficulties suck. I hope your game sells as listed and your other avenues of recourse are fruitful.

• Like 3

I had considered listing it like that, but there's just been way too many times that I've gotten screwed out of fairly substantial chunks of money by listing valuable items on eBay with starting prices of less than what they were actually worth. It's always a gamble when you list something at a low price with no reserve. Sometimes the bidding gets up to or exceeds the actual value of the item, and sometimes it ends up going for way less than what you should have gotten for it. It's a major gamble, and when I find myself short on money for the necessities and trying to sell something valuable I'd rather not gamble with my income.

As far as the status goes, there were some people getting a little rude with their comments and I'd rather not have to deal with anyone's drama when I'm just trying to make a sale to pay the bills. Thus, status was locked and comments were deleted.

It's not an overly expensive item. A loose copy like the one you have is going to get about $60 not $350. Your status comments where not rude or dramatic, they where true and you just didn't like it. When you try and scalp a game you bought in the AA store at $25 for $400 right on the same site you bought it from you will get well deserved backlash.

I hope you don't consider this a rude reply, but you asked the question and I think this will be the general consensus:

$400 is an outrageously high price. But, its well known that if you post rare stuff on ebay at a very high price, there's a chance that someone for whom money is no object will decide they want it when they want it, and they will pay that price. Look around and you'll see sellers that do this with tons of games, reposted every time the auction goes unbought, hoping for that chance. And they do it because like I said, it works. You just don't get to decide when (or if) it sells.

If you want to control when it sells, your only option is to list it as an auction, publicize it as well as you are able, and see what the going price is.

A boxed copy went at auction for just above $200 recently, and a loose cart got no bids at $99. I doubt that this was a case of something valuable slipping under the radar. Its more likely that this is the current value for these games. Quite a good return on what they were bought for, but your fortune is in another castle.

PS. Financial difficulties suck. I hope your game sells as listed and your other avenues of recourse are fruitful.

I think you're probably right on all counts. It really depends on who views the auction, how badly they want the game, and what they personally value it at. I'm guessing most AtariAge forum members probably wouldn't value it over $100, but on eBay things might be very different. At this point I think I'm going to let my BIN listing run it's course, and if it doesn't sell by the end of the month I might consider auctioning it off at somewhat lower starting price, but for now I could really use as much money as someone might be willing to pay for it so I think I'll just wait and see if the right buyer comes along. Earlier tonight someone just listed a boxed copy BIN for $600, and I think that should make my loose copy for $350 look a lot more attractive to any potential buyers who might be searching for the game. :)

It's not an overly expensive item. A loose copy like the one you have is going to get about $60 not $350. Your status comments where not rude or dramatic, they where true and you just didn't like it. When you try and scalp a game you bought in the AA store at $25 for $400 right on the same site you bought it from you will get well deserved backlash.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, and I think you might be misunderstanding my situation and intentions here. I didn't buy my copy of Princess Rescue for $25 from the AtariAge store, it went out of production in 2013 and I haven't even been a member of this site that long. I traded for it earlier this year, and both my trading partner and I valued it based on the high prices it has recently commanded on eBay. I'm not a scalper or a reseller, just a collector who is a little short on cash for the bills and holiday season. Given that loose copies have recently sold on eBay for $400 it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that someone might be willing to pay $350 for it, even if it is only worth $60 in your personal opinion. If other people are willing to pay much more then it only makes sense to sell it for the higher prices that others are willing to pay, especially when money is desperately needed.

One was just listed for $600... was it this one?

Nope. My copy is priced at $349 and can be found here. :)

Edited by Jin

egads, that's a lot of money. And to think I have my CIB sealed and a loose player's copy. To be fair, the original release did go massively viral online and Albert sold out of boxed copies in short order. No telling the exact number of carts but I imagineit continued to sell very well as it was literally everywhere on the internet for a while. Nintendo had to take action to protect their IP, sad as that may be to hear. Sega on the other hand seems to be more lenient on fan art in general than Nintendo, being a third party developer, but it would not surpise me if Zippy gets canned too... :_(

In reality, tons of stuff violates IP law. The old arcade ports seem to be left alone for the most part. Imagine the horror if Namco ordered a C&D on all pacman games... :sad:

• Like 2

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, and I think you might be misunderstanding my situation and intentions here. I didn't buy my copy of Princess Rescue for $25 from the AtariAge store, it went out of production in 2013 and I haven't even been a member of this site that long. I traded for it earlier this year, and both my trading partner and I valued it based on the high prices it has recently commanded on eBay. I'm not a scalper or a reseller, just a collector who is a little short on cash for the bills and holiday season. Given that loose copies have recently sold on eBay for $400 it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that someone might be willing to pay $350 for it, even if it is only worth $60 in your personal opinion. If other people are willing to pay much more then it only makes sense to sell it for the higher prices that others are willing to pay, especially when money is desperately needed.

For the sake of argument I will agree with everything you say in lieu of asking how don't you find it totally out of line and a slap in the face to all those here at AtariAge, Admin and original game author included, to try and sell it back to it's home at a mark up of 14 times the original price? A price you are only getting by taking advantage of the fact that Albert\AtariAge\SpryBug cannot sell the game anymore at it's $25 MSRP due to a C&D?

If you need money I get it we have all had hard times, myself included. But come on, have a little decency and not slam it in the face of the place you like to play. If a couple hundred bucks (??) is worth more to you than this type of behavior on a forum you are sure to keep coming back to long after you do or don't sell this cart..Well... I hope you enjoy the money.

For the sake of argument I will agree with everything you say in lieu of asking how don't you find it totally out of line and a slap in the face to all those here at AtariAge, Admin and original game author included, to try and sell it back to it's home at a mark up of 14 times the original price? A price you are only getting by taking advantage of the fact that Albert\AtariAge\SpryBug cannot sell the game anymore at it's $25 MSRP due to a C&D?

If you need money I get it we have all had hard times, myself included. But come on, have a little decency and not slam it in the face of the place you like to play. If a couple hundred bucks (??) is worth more to you than this type of behavior on a forum you are sure to keep coming back to long after you do or don't sell this cart..Well... I hope you enjoy the money.

You are taking this far too personally, and there's really no need. I'm not trying to offend anyone here and I'm not telling you that $350 is the price you should pay for the game if you don't feel like it's worth that amount of money. I simply created a thread to gauge interest and see what the general consensus on the game's value was at this point. As far as I can tell the only person here who is being rude and insulting is you.

To look at it from another perspective, one of my other hobbies is the card game Magic: The Gathering. Often times I'll buy cards that I want to play only to find that a year or two down the road those cards have become very highly sought after, and have gone up in value tenfold or more. Due to contractual obligations to stockholders the company producing the cards is forbidden from reprinting certain cards, so when a card that can't be reprinted goes up astronomically in value does that make it unethical for the person who currently owns copies of that card to sell it at the new higher value that people are wiling to pay for it? It may have only cost $20 when it came out, but if it's average market value is now $200+ then it seems ridiculous to expect someone to sell it for it's original $20 retail price. Telling someone they should sell it at it's original price when it's now worth ten times that is just absurd and irrational.

I'm sorry you're taking my sale of this game as some kind of personal slight against you or the AtariAge community, but I assure you that is most certainly not my intention.

• Like 2

Fair enough. Just remember you have a Revised Scubland not a Beta Mox Jet.

Fair enough. Though I did have an Unlimited Mox Ruby at one point, but Vintage (and eventually Legacy) got far too rich for my blood so these days I mostly just play Pauper. :lol:

On a side note, for the love all of that is good and right in the world please don't let this thread become another Atari 2600 New in Box with unopened PACMAN thread. Some things are just not worth any amount of money. >_<