IGNORED

Disk management utility for 8-bits?

Keatah

Is there any sort of comprehensive .ATR, .XEX, .DCM disk and file manager for the 8-bit Ataris? Something that allows adding and deleting files from an image. Something that works on the PC side of things only and does not require any 8-bit or 3rd party hardware. For the Apple II we have something called CiderPress. http://a2ciderpress.com/index.htm

Check out MakeATR. It is a true Win32 application with a real GUI. Web page in Polish, but it is in English and very easy to use. Ataridos/MyDos. Don't know about DCM's and XFD's -- I avoid DCM's when possible and when necessary use Imagic from Atarimax.

http://serious-dial.atari.pl/makeATR/

Imagic 1.06

http://www.atarimax.com/ (scroll down...)

-Larry

• Like 1

In my continuous search for a comprehensive Atari file management software, couldn't find a better one than this:

Atari File-Management v1.7.002

Even though it has its pitfalls, still outweighs all available managers (in my opinion).

It is a decent image directory that searches PC directories, and files within ATR images, add files and delete them.

Supports several DOS formats.

Also, it exports ascii export option.

The best of all, it can be made to run executables through emulators. See photos (directories of Pooldisk_Too_CD1)

post-37046-0-56704600-1449075763_thumb.png post-37046-0-55709400-1449075794_thumb.png post-37046-0-13829300-1449075813_thumb.png

madi

• Like 1

Hi Roy-

ATADIM is great and I use it regularly, but can it do more than just show the directory contents? Didn't think it could, but it would be great if it does more than that.

-Larry

Yes much more.. extract and import or drag and drop files to the ATR.. If you have the atadim.cfg file set up double cliking on COM, XEX, Files will launch the associated program [EMU] for 8bit files. DOC,TXT, ETC.. will launch an associated text editor .. MIC, PIC, ETC will launch a picture viewer Like the Recoil program for viewing 8bit graphics. RMT extenders will launch Raster Music and play the selected file.. Best would be to read the website that explains it all...

Update -- I still found that not much worked, but then I clicked on the little red dot on the GUI, and that turns off the Read Only mode. It's evidently a read only toggle. Once I did that the buttons at the bottom are no longer "grayed out." Yes, looks like a lot more works. Hope that helps someone else.

-Larry

Update -- I still found that not much worked, but then I clicked on the little red dot on the GUI, and that turns off the Read Only mode. It's evidently a read only toggle. Once I did that the buttons at the bottom are no longer "grayed out." Yes, looks like a lot more works. Hope that helps someone else.

-Larry

ATADIMRaster.txt

Translated info....

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/2/2015 at 8:05 PM, Madi said:

In my continuous search for a comprehensive Atari file management software, couldn't find a better one than this:

Atari File-Management v1.7.002

Even though it has its pitfalls, still outweighs all available managers (in my opinion).

It is a decent image directory that searches PC directories, and files within ATR images, add files and delete them.

Supports several DOS formats.

Also, it exports ascii export option.

The best of all, it can be made to run executables through emulators. See photos (directories of Pooldisk_Too_CD1)

post-37046-0-56704600-1449075763_thumb.png post-37046-0-55709400-1449075794_thumb.png post-37046-0-13829300-1449075813_thumb.png

madi

A new release of the famous File Management software. It supports WIN7-10 and had a new features. Thank to Burkhard Rau:

Atari File-Management vV 2.1 00xx

mdi

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As I started reading this thread I began thinking “there should be a file explorer that does all of this plus can associate emu’s with file types or at least allow you to select on the fly which emu to use via right-click or something...” then I found out the program above does that... Now I am thinking we need a file manager that works with ALL emulated file types and can handle multi OS brokering... could be very cool and seen positively by a large number of people due to being cross-scene..

• Like 1

Another fine bit of software for this is Atari Archiv, its an Atari based port of Purmikes excellent C64 Archiv tool for that er other machine....

http://purmike.de/documents/atariarchiv.html

Its pretty much a databasing util only but does it very nicely..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3