IGNORED

What's the Worst Console You Ever Played?

NES. Hands down the most overhyped, disappointing system I ever played. Poor graphicson many ports, terrible flicker, systems died or stopped reading carts regularly, every game was kiddie looking, controllers were uncomfortable with pointed corners and too small.

I do love watching NES fanboys flip their lids when someone disagrees with them though. Just because it was popular doesn't mean it was good. Reality TV and Karaoke game shows are incredibly popular now, and that stuff is for morons.

I agree that popular doesn't necessarily equal good, but again, a platform with 700+ games, several of them enduring classics, is tough to take seriously as "hands down" anything negative. Sure, it had its negative aspects, some of which you touched upon, but then so does every other platform ever.

Earlier tonight, I mused elsewhere what would've happened if Nintendo had made a real family computer in 1983, with keyboard, built-in BASIC, at least 32K RAM and ideally shooting for worldwide release. I'm quite sure the MSX would've had serious competition in Japan. Depending on price and usability, it may have put a real threat to both C64, Atari 8-bit and some other home computers if it had been available by early 1984.

It would've also have raised the question if video game consoles ever would've gone back in fashion, if both Nintendo and even Sega had followed the move to computers.

• Like 1

I agree that popular doesn't necessarily equal good, but again, a platform with 700+ games, several of them enduring classics, is tough to take seriously as "hands down" anything negative. Sure, it had its negative aspects, some of which you touched upon, but then so does every other platform ever.

and my point was, compared to the hype and insane level of popularity - it was the worst because of its flaws. And to that other guy - I'm not trolling. My opinion of the NES is real. It's just become something of a running joke for me now that any time I mention it, people tend to snap.

Earlier tonight, I mused elsewhere what would've happened if Nintendo had made a real family computer in 1983, with keyboard, built-in BASIC, at least 32K RAM and ideally shooting for worldwide release. I'm quite sure the MSX would've had serious competition in Japan. Depending on price and usability, it may have put a real threat to both C64, Atari 8-bit and some other home computers if it had been available by early 1984.

It would've also have raised the question if video game consoles ever would've gone back in fashion, if both Nintendo and even Sega had followed the move to computers.

The Famicom already out paced the MSX by 1987. By 1984, it was the top selling console on Japanese history to that point. By 1987, 1 in 4 Japanese households had a Nintendo Family Computer.

Edit: Not 1 in 4 but little over 1 in 3.

Edited by empsolo

Sega did try a computer. SC-3000.

I don't really understand why it was called the Family Computer instead of the Family Console.

Edited by BillyHW

and my point was, compared to the hype and insane level of popularity - it was the worst because of its flaws. And to that other guy - I'm not trolling. My opinion of the NES is real. It's just become something of a running joke for me now that any time I mention it, people tend to snap.

I like the NES. I do agree it's overrated to a certain degree. The Hardware was certainly nothing that incredible.

I just disagree "every game was kiddie looking".

But whatever... I can understand you Position on the Response ou get by saying you don't like the System. I was just talking about this a couple weeks ago I think, how the Internet right now seems to think the NES is the first console of all times, and that Nintendo invented gaming. Anything before that is just "crappy atari stuff and even crappier atari clones".

The Controller was squary, but still a Milestone in gaming that set the course for everything that came afterwards. I'm just glad Sega invented ergonomics for console Pads with the Mega Drive.

I like the NES. I do agree it's overrated to a certain degree. The Hardware was certainly nothing that incredible.

But whatever... I can understand you Position on the Response ou get by saying you don't like the System. I was just talking about this a couple weeks ago I think, how the Internet right now seems to think the NES is the first console of all times, and that Nintendo invented gaming. Anything before that is just "crappy atari stuff and even crappier atari clones".

The Controller was squary, but still a Milestone in gaming that set the course for everything that came afterwards. I'm just glad Sega invented ergonomics for console Pads with the Mega Drive.

Eh, the Famicom controller is better in terms of ergonomics vs the NES controller. Due to the rounded edges that the Famicom had.

• Like 1

I don't really understand why it was called the Family Computer instead of the Family Console.

Because Yamauchi originally wanted to make it into a consolized Home Computer ala the the various Atari and Coleco console attempts. In fact, Nintendo ended up releasing bunch of updates to Family basic. It turns out that the Japanese public were more interested in the console part rather than the computer part.

The Famicom hardware was good for 1983. Unfortunately the crash caused us to have to wait nearly 3 years for it. So by the time it became popular it was outdated techinically.

People aren't snapping, they're replying to a delusional person, plus you have a 7800 controller as your avi and 7800 in your name. There are certain things that are popular for the times and there are certain things that are timeless. The NES has without a doubt been proven to be absolutely timeless with fans and critics alike. The NES library is too amazing to fuck with, that's why people love it so much. There's no need to discuss hardware, specs, how advanced it was for the time, etc. All that matters is the library. And other than the PS2 or Xbox 360... I dunno of another console that could rival it in that area. It also doesn't help that the people knocking the NES pad seem to like the 2600 and 7800 controllers better... which again, gains you no points.

Guys can be pissed off Nintendo overtook Atari for the throne or how NES fans sometimes don't give the previous gen the respect it deserves, but ultimately, dissing the NES shows you as having an ulterior motive and you're doing the same disservice to the NES that they're doing to the Atari generation. As a gamer who has most everything from a 2600 to a PS4, in the Atari vs. Nintendo fanboy pissing match, two wrongs don't make a right.

• Like 2

Can't resist..........just gotta respond to a couple "trolls" :twisted:

USAers will always love the NES, as for being revolutionary, it was a step backwards. We had STs, Amigas, playing 16bit games. NES, an 8 bit console? You gotta be kidding.....

The primitive 1970s-hardware Atari VCS was sold worldwide until the very early 90s. The 8-bit Sega Master System was still popular in Europe well into the 1990s. It should be noted that the Famicom (NES) was released just one year after the 1982 ColecoVision. And the Sega Mark 3 (Master System) was released a full two years after the Famicom. ColecoVision (1982) -> Nintendo Famicom (Japan, 1983) -> Sega Mark 3 (Japan, 1985). Early NES games were similar to ColecoVision games. Later NES games (SMB 3, Kirby's Adventure, Blaster Master, etc.) were easily on-par with SMS games, and with better sound :)

NES. Hands down the most overhyped, disappointing system I ever played. Poor graphicson many ports, terrible flicker, systems died or stopped reading carts regularly, every game was kiddie looking, controllers were uncomfortable with pointed corners and too small.

I do love watching NES fanboys flip their lids when someone disagrees with them though. Just because it was popular doesn't mean it was good. Reality TV and Karaoke game shows are incredibly popular now, and that stuff is for morons.

I see you are a fan of the Atari 7800. I really don't think you wanna "talk shit" about the NES when the NES takes a dump on the 7800 in every way. And yes, I grew up with both systems, but there is no comparison. Some developers can do amazing things with the 7800 now. But "back in the day" when it mattered, the 7800 was already an antiquated console = crappy 2600 sound, low-res native graphics for it's time, few games, joystick-controllers that were worse and more UNcomfy than the NES controllers, poor rf picture. You get the idea. ;-)

• Like 2

And Nintendo did release a computer add-on for the Famicom in Japan. It's actually rather nice for what it is (I also like and have a few models of the SC-3000 in my collection). With that said, there would have been no reason to release it in the US.

The Famicom hardware was good for 1983. Unfortunately the crash caused us to have to wait nearly 3 years for it. So by the time it became popular it was outdated techinically.

Not in terms of available consoles until the release of the Turbo-Grax/16 and Sega Genesis. Thanks to in-cartridge additions, it was easily competitive with any other console available into the late 80s.

And Nintendo did release a computer add-on for the Famicom in Japan. It's actually rather nice for what it is (I also like and have a few models of the SC-3000 in my collection). With that said, there would have been no reason to release it in the US.

Hmmm, I'll have to look that computer add-on up.

In the end, it didn't matter because NES games still played out in a beginning to end fashion for the most part with graphics that were easy to make out and the games that remain popular still look good. Inevitably, I always hear the NES compared to PCs of the time on here because of its inferiority in that department, which makes no sense to me because PC is always ahead of the game if you have three times the money to put in. I guess it must be hardware guys getting their jollies because the rest of us bought games for games. Cheaper price or not, millions more people were still fine with getting a NES post-SNES, let alone Genesis/TG16 launches.

if anyone wants my 2 cents

I dont like the NES for many of the same reasons others have pointed out

when I was a kid it seemed like the stuff, but I had a apple II and a colecovision to compare it to, I skipped the NES and moved directly to genesis, and to this day I just dont like the games

BUT!

When NES came out, coleco was dead, sega was still a year away from making boring white boxes, and atari was re-releasing mostly the same old shit, to have a game console that did more than single screen arcade classics as a rule, not the late to the game exception, was a mind bender, and I totally understand why it has the following and devotion to this day.

but its still a chunk of crap in the grand scheme of things :P

not the worst, but its not like a fine Italian sports car either, more like a mustang, fun, cheap, accessible, did something different

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

You summed up my thoughts very well.

Only I wouldn't have used a car analogy, I'd have used bands. IE, the NES is like Kiss... I can't deny that people always have and always will love it... but I'll never understand why. Sure EVERYthing is going be liked by some and loved by a few less... but... just the DROVES of people that cling to it, whether they know it inside out or know very little other than their few favorite games (or songs if we're still talking about Kiss!).

But can we get this thread back on topic, if someone says "System X is the worst system they ever played", then that is their opinion, and they are entitled to it. You can't change their mind by throwing YOUR opinion at them or stating sales figures and system specs.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

You summed up my thoughts very well.

Only I wouldn't have used a car analogy, I'd have used bands. IE, the NES is like Kiss... I can't deny that people always have and always will love it... but I'll never understand why. Sure EVERYthing is going be liked by some and loved by a few less... but... just the DROVES of people that cling to it, whether they know it inside out or know very little other than their few favorite games (or songs if we're still talking about Kiss!).

But can we get this thread back on topic, if someone says "System X is the worst system they ever played", then that is their opinion, and they are entitled to it. You can't change their mind by throwing YOUR opinion at them or stating sales figures and system specs.

No, you can't change their mind. But in any sort of art or media, there's guidelines or rules you have to follow to be taken seriously. You can't be taken seriously if you think the 7800 had better games than the NES. The anti-NES people don't actually believe that, they come from spite and anger from being Atari fanboys. That is an entirely different ballgame from being analytical and rational. This generation, I'm buying 5 times more Wii U shit than PS4/Xbox One. But I'm not gonna say it has better games as a whole. I just couldn't say that with a straight face because it's simply not true. I happen to like my platformers, but I'm not gonna sit here and say Yoshi's Wooly World is a better game than Witcher III. Just because you like something doesn't mean you can't be objective.

Anyone who thinks opinions are subjective has never had to converse with or deal with a total assholeface. :P

I've got a Yeno SC-3000. It is nice and so, but requires a BASIC cartridge with onboard RAM in order to be user programmable. Indeed the same holds true for e.g. the Sord M5, so perhaps that is how they did it in Japan. I also remember the Sharp MZ-700 series need to load BASIC from tape, in order to give the user a choice what to fill the memory with.

As noted, a keyboard and BASIC (developed by Hudson for Nintendo) exist for the Famicom as well. I studied the manual only a few weeks ago and it seems capable, although I don't know how feasible it is to make your own graphic symbols in case you get fed up with the built-in Mario graphics that are available to use. The BASIC add-on is compatible with tape recorder, but collides with the Famicom Disk System released a few years later, which anyway pretty much is a read only system from what I understand.

Of course it is a matter of pricing, for how little could Nintendo have sold a full fledged computer, a machine that already had keyboard, BASIC, RAM, expansion options for real floppy drives, serial, printer and so on? I'm sure it would've had success in Europe, but perhaps not as much in the US where domestic competition already was strong and very few or no home computers from overseas ever made it. Yet the NES as a console was successful a few years later so perhaps still this imagined computer could've found a market spot. Clearly the Famicom technology, released in the summer of 1983 could not compete with the Amiga technology still under development in the summer of 1984 and not ready for commercial release until late 1985, but on the other hand there still was a market for 8-bit computers at least until 1985/86, a bit longer if you could not afford the newest 16-bits.

700+ games and maybe 10 that are good. The rest are flickering, terrible shovelware.

People aren't snapping, they're replying to a delusional person, plus you have a 7800 controller as your avi and 7800 in your name. There are certain things that are popular for the times and there are certain things that are timeless. The NES has without a doubt been proven to be absolutely timeless with fans and critics alike. The NES library is too amazing to fuck with, that's why people love it so much. There's no need to discuss hardware, specs, how advanced it was for the time, etc. All that matters is the library. And other than the PS2 or Xbox 360... I dunno of another console that could rival it in that area. It also doesn't help that the people knocking the NES pad seem to like the 2600 and 7800 controllers better... which again, gains you no points.

Guys can be pissed off Nintendo overtook Atari for the throne or how NES fans sometimes don't give the previous gen the respect it deserves, but ultimately, dissing the NES shows you as having an ulterior motive and you're doing the same disservice to the NES that they're doing to the Atari generation. As a gamer who has most everything from a 2600 to a PS4, in the Atari vs. Nintendo fanboy pissing match, two wrongs don't make a right.

Pretty sure the black bolded comments here are the very definition of "snapping" when someone disses your favorite toy.

There's nothing "delusional" about having an opinion that the NES was overrated and cheaply made. You might not agree with it, but if you have to start insulting people to make your point, then yeah - you just snapped.

No, you can't change their mind. But in any sort of art or media, there's guidelines or rules you have to follow to be taken seriously. You can't be taken seriously if you think the 7800 had better games than the NES. The anti-NES people don't actually believe that, they come from spite and anger from being Atari fanboys. That is an entirely different ballgame from being analytical and rational. This generation, I'm buying 5 times more Wii U shit than PS4/Xbox One. But I'm not gonna say it has better games as a whole. I just couldn't say that with a straight face because it's simply not true. I happen to like my platformers, but I'm not gonna sit here and say Yoshi's Wooly World is a better game than Witcher III. Just because you like something doesn't mean you can't be objective.

Anyone who thinks opinions are subjective has never had to converse with or deal with a total assholeface. :P

You seem to think anyone caring about what you, personally think is what should be considered most relevant. Then you insult people and start name calling. If there's "rules" to follow here in order to be taken seriously, I'm pretty sure being a smartmouthed know-it-all is # 1 on the "don't" list.

as for that last line - dude - invest in a mirror.

Edited by 78001987

I see you are a fan of the Atari 7800. I really don't think you wanna "talk shit" about the NES when the NES takes a dump on the 7800 in every way. And yes, I grew up with both systems, but there is no comparison. Some developers can do amazing things with the 7800 now. But "back in the day" when it mattered, the 7800 was already an antiquated console = crappy 2600 sound, low-res native graphics for it's time, few games, joystick-controllers that were worse and more UNcomfy than the NES controllers, poor rf picture. You get the idea. ;-)

No one was comparing anything. I will "talk shit" about whatever I like.

What amuses me here is that a bunch of tough talking NES fans are trying to pick fights with people over their personal opinions - on a site called "Atariage". Pretty sure that's the Webster's Standard Dictionary definition of "trolling".