IGNORED

Obscure games you have played

helderuto

What I can think of at the moment...I have played a LOT more that the ones I mention here:

Beany Bopper - Atari 2600

Snookie -C64

Trolls & Tribulations - C64

Hydrax - C64

Alfred Chicken - NES

Demons Crest - SNES

Zombies Ate My Neighbors - SNES

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne - PS1

Tomba - PS1

Vib-Ribbon - PS1

Incredible Crisis - PS1

God Hand - PS2

Mr. Mosquito - PS2

Shadow Hearts - PS2

There's tons of weird Japanese games on PS2, horror games like Extermination and Kuon for example.

Hmm... Quite a few bizarrw and obscure games in emulation... I sort of have a weird fetish for oddball games nobody has played in decades.

As far as real hardware, I play alot of off the wall TI-99 games like St. Nick, Old Dark Caves, MazeMan... Stuff that you do not see in eBay auctions very often. :)

• Like 1

If you want unusual games, try some Hungarian ones from the early 1980's. Some examples on the C64:

* Arctic Shipwreck - you're a mammoth on an ice berg, walking around without trampling down the people on the ice berg and also without tipping the ice berg over

* Buffalo Roundup - you're a cowboy trying to push a heard of buffalo out of the meadow

* Chinese Juggler - you're a juggler trying to keep plates rotating on sticks for as long as possible

* Dancing Monster - you're shooting body parts off a monster until the princess reappears underneath the body parts

I believe there are more in those series, those are the ones I can think off top of my head. Many of them are quite playable, but not like anything you've seen before.

• Like 1

I never know what counts as obscure in these cases- there's a big difference between an entertaining, but bizarre game that flew under the radar, and a supremely average game that simply isn't memorable.

From what's been mentioned, I do own/have played Mr. Mosquito, the Shadow Hearts trilogy, and Tomba... apparently my Tomba is odd somehow because it runs on my PS2, and that's not supposed to work according to what I've read. *shrugs*

I love Mischief Makers on N64, but that comes up on every 'hidden games' list I've ever seen for the system, so I don't know how obscure it really is. I also thoroughly enjoyed El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. No one ever brings that up, I'm not sure why. It's not the greatest Devil May Cry clone, but it's not bad, and the art is stunning. (Terrible ending, though.)

Mystery of Atlantis. (Famicom)

Didn't like it much and I doubt many people even heard of this. The only reason I tried was because I played Super Pitfall (which wasn't good anyway) and there was a mention of Super Pitfall 2 planned. Activision was going to take Mystery of Atlantis, change the title screen, and release them in USA. Glad it never happened.

@save2600: fellow Kaos fan here. It was my favorite game growing up and was the second arcade cab I purchased (Pepper II, also kinda obscure, was first). The 2600 or CV could totally handle it. You may be interested to know there are two ROM variations, which I didn't know until I got my cab. The early rev, which I have, has plain dollar signs and not yellow coins. On the fourth screen and higher, the screens don't wraparound and the dragons don't fall from the top. I grew up playing the later rev and it's more fun, buy it was interesting to discover the earlier one.

I've played many obscure games (esp via emulation) but most don't stick in my memory. I'd recommend Naughty Boy (arcade), Spacemaster X-7 (2600), War Room (CV), and Devil World (Famicom). There's a Win 3.11 game called Castle of the Winds that was pretty fun too, despite primitive graphics.

There's an obscure arcade game I used to play on MAME that I've forgotten the name of. It was some puzzle game using playing cards. I can't remember the play mechanic, but it was pretty fun, and I'd like to play it again. The only thing was, it was one of those Asian bartop games that had nude pics every few rounds to get you to keep paying to continue. That's not why I want to play it though... The pics were too low res to be worth looking at. :) Prob about NES level graphics. Its unfortunate that it was that kind of game because it was actually pretty fun.