IGNORED

MiniPro TL866 Upgrade Instructions

Kyle22

When I bought the TL866 some one or two years ago programming Lattice 22V10 GALs didn't work (the software didn't program the full fusemap into the chip...). There are several reports on the 'net with similar problems.

But according to this post it might finally be fixed in the latest software/firmware version:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246552-question-about-programming-galplds/?do=findComment&comment=3444989

Haven't tested that myself yet, though.

so long,

Hias

Interesting... This sounds a bit iffy then, with the one chap in the thread you link finding it worked on some chips but not others of the same designation... I guess all I can do is try! The problem being if it doesn't work I am not in a position to test the GAL in any other way than seeing if the whole memory expansion works or doesn't. Hopefully any problems will show up in the 'Verify' step. At the end of the day I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing to own both the 866 and a separate dedicated GAL programmer so long as they are not very expensive, although that does undermine the all-in-one' concept a little.

Update:

Re-reading the posts I notice that the problem seems to be centred around the 'Lattice' brand. santosp mentions that even on prior versions of the firmware he was able to get 'National Semiconductor' chips to work properly. Luckily there seems to be a seller of specifically NSC-made 22V10-15LNC's on ebay at an okay price of £6.50.

Edited by morelenmir

I understood that link to say that the 6.50 firmware fixes the problem with Lattice GAL's.

6.50 as of the last time I checked is the latest version on their website.

Edit: Their support list specifically mentions Lattice 22v10.

Edited by Kyle22

I understood that link to say that the 6.50 firmware fixes the problem with Lattice GAL's.

6.50 as of the last time I checked is the latest version on their website.

Edit: Their support list specifically mentions Lattice 22v10.

Yep - v6.50 is the latest; released on Christmas Day in fact!!!

• Like 1

I have an update in regards programming the GAL chip that was discussed earlier in the week.

In the end I ordered the National Semiconductor GAL22V10-15LNC. The device finally arrived today and I decided to run a quick test by programming it with the *.JED file for Hias' SRAM mod. At first glance all seemed well. The TL866 reported the usual cycle of 'Erase', 'Blank check', 'Programme', 'Verify'. All success. However, I still wanted to make sure, so I zeroed out the application's buffer and then told it to read the contents of the GAL back in - which obviously should have now been identical to the *.JED file. No dice. All '1's... Moreover, if I tried the 'Verify' command separately to the programming cycle it also reported failure.

I assumed it could be a transient problem and tried again, seven or eight times. On each occasion the programming cycle reported success, but afterwards a read produced all '1's and a 'Verify' reported failure. So... There are not many options given for programming the GAL, but one caught my eye - 'Encrypt Ch'. On a whim I unchecked this and went through the cycle again. Amazingly, this time on a 'Read' command I got back the proper *.JED contents and a separate 'Verify' reported success!

So...

I am unsure what this means. Possibly, with 'Encrypt ch' checked it really is programming correctly, but when the separate 'Read' and 'Verify' are attempted it fails because of the encryption. Alternately there is something about the 'Encrypt ch' process which the TL866 gets wrong for a GAL22v10 and so does not programme properly when that is checked.

So I guess these are my questions: Is 'Encrypt ch' essential for the GAL to work properly? Alternately is it programming properly after all with 'Encrypt ch' enabled, but the encryption prevents a subsequent 'Read' or 'Verify' command from working?

Edited by morelenmir

Further reading of the datasheet suggests that the 'Encrypt ch' option enables the 'Security Cell' feature of the 22v10. This actively prevents copying - therefore reading or verifying - the current contents of the fuse map once it has finished the write cycle. Therefore I am willing to bet the programming is working in both modes. One note of caution though - apparently the thing is only good for a hundred writes, or at least that is all NSC guarantee... I kind of wish I hadn't burned through 9-10 already!!!

Edited by morelenmir
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you add the pin header as well Stephen? They can be a bit tricky to get hold of.

Not yet. The only reason I did the upgrade, is the burning software forced me to upgrade before I could use it so I figured I might as well do the full upgrade.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I still have a problem although the upgrade has worked. turning the CS to A. I still need update of files as although the programmer supports some of the series of chips I am programming it does not support the ones I am programming.

I am trying to program Winbond WA9F020T-90B, ST M29F080A 90N1 588UX 0135 series chips and Hynix HY29F080T-90.

programming through in circuit header with ICSP of TL866A.

Is there an updated list for the firmware to be able to do this as clearly it was stated as being able to do that, which was the reason I had chose to purchase it in comparison to other programmers.

The newest PC-side software and the programmer firmware was released on Christmas day in 2015--which always sticks in my mind!

I have wondered about removing the fake 3M ZIF socket and replacing it with a genuine 'Textool' spare. However, while the desoldering itself would be easy an original 3M 'TexTool' with the proper part number costs nearly £20 after P&P from Mouser, ~£25 from RadioSpares albeit with free delivery and worst of all I saw one available from Farnel last year for over £40!

I guess I can understand why they used the dodgy one!

Edited by morelenmir
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Here's a quick guide to upgrading your TL866 programmer from the CS version to the A version. This operation enables use of the ICSP port (which is easily soldered in).

While I don't know what I might need the ICSP for, secret ways to improve the capability of gadgets always require immediate application ;)

Worked like a charm with the newest 6.60 version from the XG webpage, my Firmware shows 3.2.80 now. (Done on a Win 10 Lenovo Notebook.)

• Like 2

While I don't know what I might need the ICSP for, secret ways to improve the capability of gadgets always require immediate application ;)

Worked like a charm with the newest 6.60 version from the XG webpage, my Firmware shows 3.2.80 now. (Done on a Win 10 Lenovo Notebook.)

Many thanks for the heads-up six! I have not been active in A8 electronics for over a year now, but it is very nice to keep this little device up to date and chugging along.

Maybe it will spur me to get back down to things!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the great info. This upgrade to the "A" version worked great for me so far but I've not tested the new ICSP port or functions.

About the GAL issue:

My experience is that the device actually programmed fine (16V8) but would not verify as described by others. The programmed device functioned flawlessly in service (in an Atari 800XL).

I did this several times in the past and have since updated to the latest everything (software = v6.60, firmware = v03.2.80) and, unfortunately, I did not note what my levels were when this was being done ny me. I have not tried to program a GAL with the new software/firmware so I do not yet know how it will perform now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Guys... Do not under any circumstances update to version v6.80 of the firmware/client software that was released today. It will brick your device, delivering the helpful piece of Engrish 'the infringement of copyright and priacy'...

He is correct. I thought this applied to counterfeit devices and, knowing mine is legit, foolishly did the update to test it. I bricked my TL866.

I have been trying, but haven't yet found a way to revert to old firmware. There is a good older tl866a firmware.hex in my first post. I can't find any way to flash that to the unit. The TL866 tool just freezes up yith the yellow ERASE light on....

:(

Guys... Do not under any circumstances update to version v6.80 of the firmware/client software that was released today. It will brick your device, delivering the helpful piece of Engrish 'the infringement of copyright and priacy'...

Thank you for the warning.

• Like 1