IGNORED

MiniPro TL866 Upgrade Instructions

Kyle22

Oh well, done the maneuver (not the update to 6.82) and it seems OK.

As I said I had 6.71 installed for my 866CS->A (no bricked TL866) so that's the update.dat I used.

The procedure seems easy enough if you have not bricked it yet.

1) get the latest version of the reflasher tool ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/330bs8t4uucnyi9/TL866.zip )

2) load update.dat from the minipro install directory (I wonder if it just works if you feed it the file directly, after all those minipro setup.exe are archives that can be extracted via 7z)

3) flash bootloader

4) go advanced tab, check the write protection (click write), check the ser number (click write) [both writes do send something to the tl866]

5) close advanced tab

6) flash firmware A (or CS if you so desire)

Have not updated yet to 6.82 but I performed the above procedure twice back to back (stopping and restarting the flasher app) and the second time on step 4) the write protection was already checked .... so I guess it worked, I also noticed that since I performed it 6.71 does not ask me anymore to update the firmware (maybe coincidental or the times I used 6.71 I decided not to do it at all, spider-sense maybe)

From 6.71 to 6.82 it seems the diff is just:

ADD: MB85R256H

BQ4010YMA/BQ4011YMA/BQ4013YMA/BQ4014YMA/BQ4015YMA

BQ4011LYMA/BQ4013LYMA/BQ4014LYMA/BQ4015LYMA

FIXED: DS1245/DS1250 Algorithm(read and write)

Will do one day but for now glad I should be on the safe if I inadvertently decide to flash it.

Yep, it sounds like you've got the process down without any problems.

As things stand I think the key is to always use Radioman's flasher to upgrade (or downgrade if you ever want to check out an old version or whatever) instead of allowing the client software to do it automatically. I suppose its adds some extra degree of complexity and you'll have to keep the custom flasher on your hard-drive somewhere, but its really very simple and the programme itself is tiny, so... I honestly can't think of any other reason not to! In regards which version to update with; I have been using v6.82 now for about two months without any problems at all. I totally understand you not wanting to run the risk, but I don't think you'll encounter any issues if you do decide to take the plunge.

I also think its worth repeating the suggestion to take a note of your original Serial number and Device ID--ideally before you even do the first cross-flash. That way you are covered from every angle.

The only other thing you might want to do is slightly mod the TL866 itself. I have mounted a small two position slide-switch (eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2905537789311?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290553778931&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]) to the outside of the case, wiring just two of the contacts to place a 200ohm pull-up between RC1 and a source of 3.3V. If something like this ever happens again I can flick the switch and set the device into its boot-loader mode without having to unbutton the case and solder/desolder a resister. At all other times the switch is off, RC1 is low and the flasher works like normal. You just need to Dremell a small slot for the switch and two screw holes for its mounts.

Edited by morelenmir
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like 6.85 is live now:

VERSION: V6.85 Support:14337--2018.10.19

ADD: ATF20V8B
FIXED: GAL22V10B M95320W M95128W

http://www.autoelectric.cn/MiniPro/minipro_setup685.rar

An original one seems to work fine even after radioman fix (apparently the same original one got semi-bricked):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-411-minipro-tl866-universal-programmer-review/msg1909055/#msg1909055

ADD: ATF20V8B

FIXED: GAL22V10B M95320W M95128W

http://www.autoelectric.cn/MiniPro/minipro_setup685.rar

An original one seems to work fine even after radioman fix (apparently the same original one got semi-bricked):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-411-minipro-tl866-universal-programmer-review/msg1909055/#msg1909055

I have a TL866CS that I bought a year or so ago. I would like to convert it to a TL866A only for the ICSP ability. Other than that, what advantage is there to convert it to TL866A and add the 6 pin male ICSP header?

ADD: ATF20V8B [/size]

FIXED: GAL22V10B M95320W M95128W[/size]

Oh, wow, fixed GAL22V10B support - guess I'll have to give the new version a try!

Must have been about 5 years since I reported that GAL22V10 programming doesn't work - never heard back from them though.

Fingers crossed they finally got it working now, a couple of years after Lattice EOL'ed the whole GAL series :-)

so long,

Hias

Edited by HiassofT
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a link or info describing how to use the TL866 to program some Arduino chips (ATMega328 and ATMega32U2)? Everyone I ask tell me to buy an Arduino Uno and use that as the programmer. I need to install the bootloader as well as upload other firmware (Hex/INO). I have some of the fuse link info but not in the same form that is displayed by MiniPro. I find it interesting that I have been told to go buy another programmer to do what the TL866 claims to do and obviously does do. Mr. Google has not been my friend in this case as it returns lots of sites...telling me to us an Arduino Uno development board which would be ok except that does not tell me how to use the TL866.

Thank you.

• 6 months later...

Thought I would add here because this is a big thread.

I am using a Minipro TL866cs(not done the A mod yet) to program a GAL for my atari MSTE so I can put an FPU in.

Setup fine, drivers, software all good. I set the chip type.. no problem.. load the file and I can program it.

But it will not verify. Program.. erase.. again .. not verified.

my old willem I could slow the programming down and that would help.. ideas???

James

So for anyone who has done programming with this ...

I picked the chip.. Mine is a D.. and the programmer sets the settings.. 16v etc..

As you can see from the pic.. it says it was successful.

post-45982-0-82000100-1559650245_thumb.jpg

If I then go to Verify in the menu.. it fails.. but it verified the write..

If I just visually look at the addresses on the screen.. the program loaded and what is on the chip does not look the same.

What is this LOCK bit?? should I try it without??

Any suggestions?? should I just try it?? Can I damage something??

James

So for anyone who has done programming with this ...

I picked the chip.. Mine is a D.. and the programmer sets the settings.. 16v etc..

As you can see from the pic.. it says it was successful.

attachicon.gif20190604_080306.jpg

If I then go to Verify in the menu.. it fails.. but it verified the write..

If I just visually look at the addresses on the screen.. the program loaded and what is on the chip does not look the same.

What is this LOCK bit?? should I try it without??

Any suggestions?? should I just try it?? Can I damage something??

James

I also recently programmed one of 2 GAL16V8D I ordered from eBay/china for the first time a week or so ago. I programmed it as an 800XL MMU, I don't think I had any errors. I also have only programmed and tried one of the two so far.

Testing it in the 800XL often landed me at the SELF TEST screen, where it would seem to operate normally with the original MMU. But that system is also due for OS and MMU socket replacement, so I was thinking I can't fully blame the GAL MMU yet until I've cleaned that up, plus I haven't tried the second one yet, just in case the first is of low quality, or a fake as is possible when ordering from there...

I also wondered about the LOCK bit, but I presume it is only a mechanism to protect the GAL from erasure and/or reading after programming. So, it's best to NOT set, as I don't think it should affect its operation in any way. If you set it, you might not be able to reprogram it?

• 4 months later...

I upgraded the firmware of my TL866CS exactly as described on the start of this topic. It worked fine.
The programmer software recognized it as a TL866A, made the autotest as OK..
BUT... When I was trying to use it effectively to just test a logic IC, I got this message.
I also tried to roll back the firmware, but the firmware updater seems to do not have this option.
In other words... NOW, my TL866CS is a TL866A "pirate" that becames useless. ? 

72294819_3019399698284201_372019651883827200_n.png

Edited by Claudio H. Picolo

13 hours ago, Claudio H. Picolo said:

I upgraded the firmware of my TL866CS exactly as described on the start of this topic. It worked fine.
The programmer software recognized it as a TL866A, made the autotest as OK..

Have a look at this video? HERE

Edited by Madi
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Madi said:

Have a look at this video? HERE

Mine too.
It just failed (with that message) whenn I effectively tried to read any component.
Fortunately (after hours of attempts), I got it finally working (as "A"). BUT... clearing the Product Code and the Product Serial Number.
This detail I did not found anywhere (at least by now).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I followed all the instructions on post #1. All seemed to go well until the very end when I click reset and wait and reset. I did not get the Win 10 ding sounds when a deceive is connected. When I first hit reset, nothing happened in the update program window for a while, say about 30 seconds. I hit reset again. and still nothing. I unplugged the unit, and plugged it in again, no ding from windows. I rebooted the computer, plugged it in again. no ding.

I navigated to the minipro dir and ran the win64 driver install program and it reports the driver is installed. I looked at Device Manager, and I have one device with an ! , but am not sure if it is for the minipro. I tried to updated the unknown device by pointing win10 to the minipro win64 dir and win10 did not find a correct driver.

I recall I had difficulty many years ago when I first tried to install the minipro driver on my system.

Suggestions?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Boa noite o meu tl866 cs parou de funcionar após eu ter atualizado, agora conector a usb e ele pisca a luz vermelha e não reconhece mais no meu PC. Antes estava reconhecendo normal. Estou sem norte agora, preciso de ajuda de alguem. Sera que tem algum meio de resolver isso, me ajudem!? Fico aguardando respostas dos meus amados e abençoados de Deus.

• 10 months later...