IGNORED

Project Eden - Homebrew WIP 2nd attempt

MausGames

I'm back, and trying the homebrew in bB process once more. The shmup I'm working on uses vertical scrolling, and I've tried stuffing that bit of code into the vblank. It appears to be fine in Stella, but I'm wondering if it will work on the real thing. Is anyone able and willing to test, so that I can move on? Scrolling takes quite a few cycles, and a different amount 1 out of each 5 frames, so it will make a lot of difference in dev if leaving it in vblank doesn't work. Thanks in advance for any help.

shmupbeta1a.bin

Edited by MausGames
  • Like 3

What would it look like if you added one more animation frame when moving left and right? In case that wasn't clear, it looks like it jumps directly from the flat view to the tipped view, but maybe one more frame between the two views for a fraction of a second would make it look even better.

Pretty cool!

The scrolling is quite smooth , but it is so fast that there really is never reason or opportunity to go too far left or right, because the furthest canyon wall is always going to get you if you dare. So it seems the ship will have to stay in the center 1/4 of the screen. It would be cool if it varied a bit across levels, if thats possible.

I like the boss. Can't wait to try it out with collision and enemies!

I like instant response, so I wouldn't be a fan of the charged shot. If I was making a game that had different powered shots with rapid fire (where the payer can hold down the button to shoot), I'd probably have an indicator of some kind that showed the currently selected shot power. The player would double click to cycle through normal, stronger, and strongest shots. Normal shots would barely reduce the energy bar or whatever you'd call it. Stronger shots would deplete the bar a little faster. The strongest shots would use up even more power from the bar.

As the energy drains, players would need to shoot or touch (or both) a certain kind of bonus item that adds more shot energy or whatever you'd call it if they want to keep shooting.

I'm going to keep the charged shot for now, and see which feels best once all of the enemies are finished. I'm already down to only 5 a-z variables, and I really dislike programming the sc ones. I have to go read that part of your site again RT, I'm a bit rusty. I'm sure there are some barely used variables I can swap out without too much pain.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know it's been over a month since you posted about it, but I'm curious if you have an update. Your most recent update was pretty cool. I've always liked your WIP's, you're definitely very talented. Also just noticed that you're also in Missouri. In STL, perhaps?

Thank you! I've been working slowly on this, along with trying to learn to use the DPC+ kernel. My main problem with progress in this game is program structure - I have a really hard time writing code to handle events and the flow of the game.

We both started learning bB at about the same time, and it was great to watch your development of Cave In. It still holds up as one of the best examples of what bB, and the 2600, can do. I'm actually in Saint Joseph; about as far from STL as you can get and still be in MO.

I like this demo. Like Albert said, I like the ship and I think the scrolling and design has promise. DPC+ seems well suited for this type of game what with it's complete lack of side-scrolling capabilities. There needs to be more games like this to take advantage of DPC+.

I am a big fan of M.U.S.H.A and other games like it (it's arguably in the top five best Sega games) and I see how this could be much like it.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Heya MausGames! Sorry for necroing this thread but we're doing a 'early WIP homebrew' special episode tomorrow on ZeroPage Homebrew and thought Project Eden would fit in perfectly. :-)

We'll be broadcasting LIVE on Twitch tomorrow (Friday) at 2PM PT/5PM ET, so I hope you can make it! If not, you can catch the episode in our YouTube archives the next day. Hopefully see you there in the chat!

Twitch LiveStreams: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew
YouTube Channel: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew

post-37205-0-05794300-1536302739_thumb.png

• Like 1