IGNORED

Entry 2015: Stunt Cycle

Ok, so I have a small update to Stunt Cycle.

Still a very basic game but I like it.. I think I need better control mechanism or something because once I know where to press on the disc to jump a certain number of buses then the game gets pretty easy.

I am trying some different colors, etc. Side button boost produces a bit of a wheelie and too much will make you crash.

Having the LTO Flash is amazing and playing my own game on real hardware is pretty cool.

attachicon.gifStunt_anim.gif

Download it if you want.

attachicon.gifstuntcycle_092516.zip

as always, thanks to everybody for the help and comments are always welcome.

I like the new changes. However, I think that the speed of the sprite needs to be scaled down a little. In my opinion, there is not enough screen real-estate for the motorcycle to go too fast, and pressing the side-buttons makes the sprite run out of the screen in a way that I can't really see that it is making a wheelie.

This also makes the game hard to control, since the motorcycle can run at much higher speeds than the game requires, and there isn't enough space to react or control it.

I'm not saying that you should cripple the game and make it easier, just that the dynamic range between the lowest and the highest speeds should perhaps be less, or the range itself should be shifted to a lower scale.

-dZ.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I have an LTO Flash drive I really like all the ROMs that are available so I am trying to help by updating this game once in a while. One major change in this version. There is the option to play with Wind. If you select Yes, each jump has a random wind speed and direction and it can have a small affect on the cycle in the air during the jump. But, a small affect can make a big difference jumping over buses.

I was once again able to showcase my excellent artistic abilities with the animated flags that give you the wind info. And it's a bit easier to do wheelies during normal acceleration just to look cool.

If you are inclined to play it, please enjoy. Comments are always welcome. (especially from DZ-Jay, who has a remarkable eye for ways to improve games IMO)

post-111-0-62889900-1476635786_thumb.gif<click to animate>

StuntCycle 101516.zip

Edited by fsuinnc
  • Like 5

Need boxed release!!!

Well, I'm not really sure how that would happen and the game probably needs quite a bit ore work before it's ready for that. But, one day maybe. It would let me cross "publish a video game" off my bucket list.

(Though, personally, I think the current version stacks up pretty favorably against the Atari home console version and the 2600 version)

Edited by fsuinnc

Now that I have an LTO Flash drive I really like all the ROMs that are available so I am trying to help by updating this game once in a while. One major change in this version. There is the option to play with Wind. If you select Yes, each jump has a random wind speed and direction and it can have a small affect on the cycle in the air during the jump. But, a small affect can make a big difference jumping over buses.

I was once again able to showcase my excellent artistic abilities with the animated flags that give you the wind info. And it's a bit easier to do wheelies during normal acceleration just to look cool.

If you are inclined to play it, please enjoy. Comments are always welcome. (especially from DZ-Jay, who has a remarkable eye for ways to improve games IMO)

attachicon.gifStunt.gif<click to animate>

attachicon.gifStuntCycle 101516.zip

Thanks for the comment. I am just too slow in making games so I have to spend my energy in critisizing others'. Just kidding! :lol:

I just saw the animated GIF and it looks very cool. I like the idea of wind, although in the GIF the windsock looks a bit small to be too noticeable, but I haven't played it yet, so I can't really tell.

I'll give it a spin tomorrow and provide feedback.

-dZ.

• Like 1

How about putting a magnified version of the wind sock in the HUD? Looks like you could easily put a 16x16 version in there. Maybe use a couple of MOBs for it.

I understand what you're saying. Not sure of the reason. Is it to make the wind strength and direction more noticeable or to simply make the game look better?

When I play the game I think the wind flags give a good indication of the wind without being intrusive to the rest of the screen. I think it keeps the look of the game closer to the "classic" games released when the Mattel was still making the games. (whether that is a good thing or not is debatable). I do't want the wind indicator to look bad or go unseen but if the player forgets to look for it, well, that's part of the game.

I'm not sure what console games from the late 70s or early 80s used a wind gauge. Atari's Human Cannonball is one and it just has a crude MPH (KPH) written on the screen. I don't think intellivision PGA Golf has a wind element. I will have to look around.

Don't get me wrong. I value your comment and will give it some thought. I think I also have lots of space around the speed gauge to put something there.

OK, I played a few rounds and here is my feedback:

• I like the idea of the windsock very much, however I can't really tell its effects. It seems I am able to do exactly the same thing, and succeed or fail, whether I look at the sock or not. Perhaps the wind effect should be significantly stronger to make it more obvious. Also, it could affect wheelies as well.
  • I agree with GroovyBee, a magnified windsock in the HUD may help. Make sure you keep its orange colour so that it stands out.
  • I like the windsock, but I do not like the "checkered" pattern on it; it's hard to see. Try a solid pattern.
  • I mentioned this before, and I still think there is a problem with the scale of velocities in comparison to the small sprites. It feels like there is very little way between slow as molasses and blazing out of the screen in a flash. I think acceleration should be more moderate and maximum speeds lower to be more appropriate with the scale. For instance, if I press the wheelie button for longer than an instant, the motorcycle crashes. Wheelies should be dangerous but not *that* dangerous. :)
  • Also, in the Menu Screen, the "Players" field is preset to "1", but pressing any key -- including the number "1" -- will cause it to flash a "?" for a frame or two. It looks "buggy." If I press a key other than "1" through "4," it changes to a "?". I think it should ignore invalid keys and leave the entry as is (or play the "Buzzer" sound effect, like the Mattel games).
  • I know that you are colouring the HUD with the player's bicycle colour, but I think it's too "bland" and hard to read all in a single colour. I suggest making the "PLAYER 1/2" center part in the player's colour (and his bicycle icon), and the rest in other colours. This will give it not only variety, but make each part interesting enough that the eyes may focus on them.

That's it for now, I may have some more feedback later. :thumbsup:

-dZ.

• 2 weeks later...

Good job - this is a really fun game! I thought this would be a simple game but there's actually some depth to it. I'm really enjoying playing this on my Ultimate FB, although I could use some better box art.

attachicon.gifStuntCycle.jpg

Thanks. I'm glad you are enjoying it. (what's your high score? :) )

Here's some artwork you may or may not like better.

post-111-0-23889600-1477480303_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks. I'm glad you are enjoying it. (what's your high score? :) )

Here's some artwork you may or may not like better.

attachicon.gifavatar med.jpg

The concept is very good, but it could use some refinement. For instance, perhaps you could trim down the cloud lines so that they don't clash so much with the title (i.e., red on blue is hard to read and confuses the eye). Also, the center image has some tones of blue, red, and black that are not really represented on the rest of the cover, and so it stands out as just a "copy+pasted" image.

The circle could also use an outline to make it look more like an integrated "highlight" than a stamp on top. Also, chose whether to use a circle (preferable) or a more distinct oval. The current one is almost-a-circle-but-not-quite and so it calls attention to itself.

-dZ.

The concept is very good, but it could use some refinement. For instance, perhaps you could trim down the cloud lines so that they don't clash so much with the title (i.e., red on blue is hard to read and confuses the eye). Also, the center image has some tones of blue, red, and black that are not really represented on the rest of the cover, and so it stands out as just a "copy+pasted" image.

The circle could also use an outline to make it look more like an integrated "highlight" than a stamp on top. Also, chose whether to use a circle (preferable) or a more distinct oval. The current one is almost-a-circle-but-not-quite and so it calls attention to itself.

-dZ.

Yes, I am not an artist but threw this together a while back, . I happen to think it is some of my best work (so you can imagine my previous works). It is a hodge podge of images taken from all around the web. I think the stands, crowd and clouds are from the original Atari arcade game shroud art. You are correct, simple cut and paste, though I did use layers so I sould try and improve it over time. If you look at it from a distance and kind of squint real hard it helps a lot.

I think it could be better, but I also think it better represents the Intellivision than the original arcade flyer Byte Knight was using.

Yes, I am not an artist but threw this together a while back, . I happen to think it is some of my best work (so you can imagine my previous works). It is a hodge podge of images taken from all around the web. I think the stands, crowd and clouds are from the original Atari arcade game shroud art. You are correct, simple cut and paste, though I did use layers so I sould try and improve it over time. If you look at it from a distance and kind of squint real hard it helps a lot.

I think it could be better, but I also think it better represents the Intellivision than the original arcade flyer Byte Knight was using.

Don't get me wrong it looks good and I like it. I was just offering some simple suggestions which could improve it. Sometimes the difference between looking "amateurish" and "professional" is smaller than some think, and it just takes a little bit of more effort to get it there. :)

dZ.

Don't get me wrong it looks good and I like it. I was just offering some simple suggestions which could improve it. Sometimes the difference between looking "amateurish" and "professional" is smaller than some think, and it just takes a little bit of more effort to get it there. :)

dZ.

Appreciated.

I got up to level 16 yesterday playing without wind. Thanks for the box art!

Now I'm going to have to play it some more. I think 14 is the best I have done in a long while. I suggest playing it with Wind. The wind doesn't affect the jump much but it really adds difficulty after you get past the first 12 jumps.

• 1 year later...

I can't beleive its been two years. (and I still don't have a finished game.) But the Earthquake question in the programming forum (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272629-shaking-the-intybasic-screen/), and the quick sample from nanochess got me thinking. So, here is a "new" version of Stunt Cycle. Not much new, but when you crash, the whole screen shakes. Kind of cool. I haven't played it on the big screen so it might be too much.

anyway, the game is very playable. Movement of the cycle is still jumpy but I just don't know how to make the motion smooth (which is still my excuse to not work on the game).

StuntCycle - 20171202.zip

• 1 month later...

Here is the most recent version. I think it is almost identical to the one posted in the main section before Xmas but it includes theme music that AA member Stargunner created and sent to me. I am not sure exactly how to make the music play when I want it to. I have several places where I use 'PLAY OFF' in my code so I need to work on getting the sounds all working together.

I am hoping to get some time to work on the theme music for the title and option screens in February.If I do I will probably start a new thread in the programming section.

stunt_cycle_20180108.rom

Stunt_Cycle_20180108.BAS

• Like 2