IGNORED

Entry 2015: Stunt Cycle

• 2 weeks later...
ok, The Christmas eve version of Stunt cycle. It is probably about as close to "done" as it will get before the contest deadline.

I have tried it on jzintv, Bliss, and Nostalgia and it seems to work on all of them about the same, though I am by no means good at testing all

the possibilities that might occur.

I have not been able to try it on real hardware so if anyone had the ability and the inclination here is the source and and ROM are attached.

I do have a really old Intellicart but I don't think I have a computer with a serial port with a matching connector anymore.

I have tweaked the jump and landing a bit. still not great but a little better.

If the game is still going after 12 buses then the number of buses to jump becomes random.

As always, any ideas, suggestions, comments and/or help are welcome.

I don't have a sound for a successful jump. I was thinking something like the standard intellivision crowd cheering with the whistling, etc. but I haven't looked into that.

Basic Instructions:

Press any controller button or disc to get the title screen scroll to stop (though it won't stop until the bike gets to the left side of the screen).

If you do nothing it will stop after 4 or 5 passes.

Press any button or disc to get to the screen to select 1 or 2 players.

use disc up and down to select 1 or 2 players.

press any button to go to game screen.

press any button or disc again to start your turn

the disc controls the speed. starting from the UP position, you accelerate a little at each position of the disc in a clockwise poition so there are 15 speeds

pressing any button will give a boost of speed and holding the button will get you to max speed quickly. (I want to cause a crash if the button is held too long but haven't done that)

I have used sounds (code) from Emerson (included in this thread).

I have code from DZ-jay that I took from the thread about Stick Man where he demonstrated the jumping technique.

GroovyBee added some code back in October to get the bike moving better.

So, if any of byou have a problem with me keeping it in the game let me know, and I will do what I can to remove/replace the code, sounds or whatever.

I was thinking of adding high score, at least for each session of playing, but the scoring is such that I don't think it made too much sense. Might do it anyway.

I haven't done the whale harpooning bonus level, but you never know.

• Like 1

Just for kicks. Here is the version sent in as my entry. I am currently on vacation so probably will make any more changes before the contest deadline.

again, if anyone has a way to play the game on a real Intellivision I would like to know how it plays and sounds, etc.

Happy New Year!

StuntCycle_122615.bas

stuntcycle_122615.rom

• Like 2

I have used sounds (code) from Emerson (included in this thread).

I have code from DZ-jay that I took from the thread about Stick Man where he demonstrated the jumping technique.
GroovyBee added some code back in October to get the bike moving better.
So, if any of byou have a problem with me keeping it in the game let me know, and I will do what I can to remove/replace the code, sounds or whatever.

All that code is published publicly for anybody to use for anything, so you are welcome to it. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to play this game in the arcades all of the time, when it was called "Evil Kenevil's Stunt Cycle!" Still a great great that needs to see the light of day on Intellivision!

It was one of my favorites as a kid. the original working title of my game was "Inty Kninty" which was supposed to be a play on Intellivision and Evil Knievel but after a while it just seemed wrong.

Well I hope all games get finished and polished, even after the contest, including this one.

We're creating new Intellivision history. It must be completed! :)

Thanks. I am not sure how much more polishing I can do. Not because the game doesn't need it, because I think I have done about all that I can.

I have added a few things. It now allows up to 4 players, and offers an extra life if you successful jump 10 buses.

I have tried to make it a little better looking overall. Personally I think if I had bought this game back in 1980, I might not have been awe struck, but I would have played the hell out it.

I am still open to comments and suggestions.

Here is the latest version. Includes source if anyone wants to see it.

STUNTCYCLE.zip

Thanks. I am not sure how much more polishing I can do. Not because the game doesn't need it, because I think I have done about all that I can.

Played with it a bit and, yeah, it's come along quite nicely. :)

For some reason, I had an older version still in my folder, but with the latest version now, I can't see any obvious polish it would need beyond the levels of obsessive or picky.

But a whale harpooning level would be interesting. :-D

At any rate - good work! Fun game.

According to the "warranty" slip, I purchased my Intellicart (#51) on April 20, 2001. Until yesterday it had never been used. I had to dig through several boxes of classic games and other parts of my collection but finally found it. Naturally, I don't have a serial port compatible with the cart or a disk drive to read the 3.5 inch disc that came with it.

I happen to have a USB to serial converter cable.

I downloaded the software from AA.

I plugged the cart into my Inty II, turned it on

ran the latest version of my IntyBASIC game StuntCycle through ROM2BIN and downloaded it to the Intellicart.

It worked on the first try.

While I am anxiously awaiting the new Hive and LTO carts, I am overjoyed to be able to play my IntyBASIC ROMs on real hardware. It is incredible.

Much thanks to Chad Schell, 15 years after the fact.

Now the down side, My game doesn't look near as good on the big screen as it does on my laptop or phone (jzintv4droid).

If anyone with more experience in the Intellivision colors wants to throw some advice my way. I had the background as cyan but it did not look good on tv, I changed the background to lightblue but I am still not real pleased with it.

The tracks that the motorcycle runs on are grey but they don't show up too well on the TV.

On the big Screen

post-111-0-34842400-1453658418_thumb.jpg

Updated Rom and source if anyone is interested.

stuntcycle_012316.zip

• Like 2

How about making the background dark blue? Grey (in PAL land) is much darker than the NTSC one. Plus we get the brown and not that greeny/olive/browny colour that NTSC has.

That is what I started with and I may go back to it. I like using very different colors for the four players and White, Yellow, dark blue and green seem to work pretty well. I was trying not to use red since it is used for the tunnels but White, red, yellow and green for players with dark blue background might work just fine.

I had no idea you could do this until I looked at you code. I'll have to use it now. Thanks for teaching me!

fg_[color] + bg_[color]

Also that hand waving animation makes me laugh (in a good way), nice work!

I am glad you ran across this and learned something. That particular piece of info came to me from Groovybee earlier in this thread.

The yellowish green and light blue might work well too.

I print to the screen using the players color and this messes things up when I try and use pink, lightblue, yellowgreen or any of the second 8 colors (though that could be because I don't what I am doing). I could print the player info in a single common color I suppose.

I print to the screen using the players color and this messes things up when I try and use pink, lightblue, yellowgreen or any of the second 8 colors (though that could be because I don't what I am doing). I could print the player info in a single common color I suppose.

How many GRAM cards do you have free? If you put the letters you need in GRAM you can have the text in all 16 colours. It also means that you can stylise the font if you don't want it to look too Inty.

How many GRAM cards do you have free? If you put the letters you need in GRAM you can have the text in all 16 colours. It also means that you can stylise the font if you don't want it to look too Inty.

That's a good. I think I am using 20 GRAM cards right now. I could probably do it smarter if I needed the space. I am not sure I am up to making my own letters but it would solve my color problem.

That's a good. I think I am using 20 GRAM cards right now. I could probably do it smarter if I needed the space. I am not sure I am up to making my own letters but it would solve my color problem.

You don't need to draw your own font if the standard Inty one will do. A little bit of assembler is needed and you can't you don't want to be playing music/effects/speech while you do it :-

wait
    asm FONT_OFFSET: EQU 0
    asm mvii #$3000+(('A'-32)*, r4
    asm mvii #$3800+(FONT_OFFSET*, r5
    asm mvii #13, r1
    asm @@CopyFontLoop1:
    asm repeat 8
    asm mvi@ r4, r0
    asm mvo@ r0, r5
    asm endr
    asm decr r1
    asm bne @@CopyFontLoop1

wait
    asm mvii #$3000+(('N'-32)*, r4
    asm mvii #$3800+((FONT_OFFSET+13)*, r5
    asm mvii #13, r1
    asm @@CopyFontLoop2:
    asm repeat 8
    asm mvi@ r4, r0
    asm mvo@ r0, r5
    asm endr
    asm decr r1
    asm bne @@CopyFontLoop2

for c=0 to 25
        #BACKTAB(c)=GRAM+CS_LIGHTBLUE+(c*
    next c

Just change the "0" on this line above :-

To any number between 0 and 38 depending on what GRAM cards are free in your game. Think of it as DEFxx without the DEF part. After the code has executed, all 26 upper case letters will be copied there from the bitmaps in the Inty GROM. This code is entirely reliant on the fact that IntyBASIC is still in VBLANK2 after the wait command has executed. You could copy 15 characters first and then 11 second after the wait commands, but I left a little overhead (just in case) so it only copies 13 characters after each of the wait commands.

You don't need to draw your own font if the standard Inty one will do. A little bit of assembler is needed and you can't you don't want to be playing music/effects/speech while you do it :-

wait
    asm mvii #13, r1
    asm @@CopyFontLoop1:
    asm repeat 8
    asm mvi@ r4, r0
    asm mvo@ r0, r5
    asm endr
    asm decr r1
    asm bne @@CopyFontLoop1

wait
    asm mvii #13, r1
    asm @@CopyFontLoop2:
    asm repeat 8
    asm mvi@ r4, r0
    asm mvo@ r0, r5
    asm endr
    asm decr r1
    asm bne @@CopyFontLoop2

for c=0 to 25
    next c

To any number between 0 and 38 depending on what GRAM cards are free in your game. Think of it as DEFxx without the DEF part. After the code has executed, all 26 upper case letters will be copied there from the bitmaps in the Inty GROM. This code is entirely reliant on the fact that IntyBASIC is still in VBLANK2 after the wait command has executed. You could copy 15 characters first and then 11 second after the wait commands, but I left a little overhead (just in case) so it only copies 13 characters after each of the wait commands.

Thanks. very

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

wait
    asm mvii #13, r1
    asm @@CopyFontLoop1:
    asm repeat 8
    asm mvi@ r4, r0
    asm mvo@ r0, r5
    asm endr
    asm decr r1
    asm bne @@CopyFontLoop1

wait
    asm mvii #13, r1
    asm @@CopyFontLoop2:
    asm repeat 8
    asm mvi@ r4, r0
    asm mvo@ r0, r5
    asm endr
    asm decr r1
    asm bne @@CopyFontLoop2

for c=0 to 25
    next c

I am playing with this code. I made some basic mods so I can also copy the numbers, the Colon, exclamation mark, asterix and a blank. It seems like I should not need blank but when I try and include a blank in a PRINT line and I am using one of the second 8 colors I get a mess that looks like color square mode gone crazy.

So, now I have a second group of letters so instead of

PRINT AT SCREENPOS(6,0) COLOR #SPRITEC(PLAYER+1), "PLAYER ",<>PLAYER + 1," "
I can now use
PRINT AT SCREENPOS(6,0) COLOR #SPRITEC(PLAYER+1), "\291\287\276\300\280\293 ",<>PLAYER + 1,"\302\302"
SO, my next question is, how do I print the correct number? In this case "<>PLAYER + 1" will always be a whole number between 1 and 4.
My game doesn't display a lot of numbers but it keeps count of how many jumps you have made. I have not made more than 20 but how would I print a number like 18 using an alternate character set from GRAM? It seems like a lot of extra work to move the significant parts of the number into array elements and then build the print statements using the GROM location and adding the offset. This puts me back on the path of only using the first 8 colors for the players and if that is the case then I don't need really need the extra character set (though I am glad I know how to move things from GROM to GRAM)
I am afraid that if it is a simple answer then I am just not seeing it.

Use the print at command with digits but print them in black. Than immediately after that do something like this (assuming a 2 digit number):-

[s]WAIT
#what=#BACKTAB(SCREENPOS(6,0))
#BACKTAB(SCREENPOS(6,0))=#what+GRAM+#SPRITEC(PLAYER+1)
#what=#BACKTAB(SCREENPOS(7,0))
#BACKTAB(SCREENPOS(7,0))=#what+GRAM+#SPRITEC(PLAYER+1)
[/s]
The wait command at the start pretty much guarantees that there will not be a visual "blink" where the digits are drawn in black and then coloured correctly.

Edit: Nah! Talking crap :lol:. You need to adjust the index as well. I'll put together some working code in a bit.

Edited by GroovyBee

Just to a loo

I've made a more complex example here.

I just took a look. Very nice. Thanks.

I thought I was getting pretty close playing with what you posted above, but I was not. I don't think I would have ever gotten the (("0"-" ")*8). I think I understand it, but I would have never thought of it.

• Like 1