IGNORED

Entry 2015: Whale Hunt

I am really looking forward to giving this a good solid playthrough this weekend. Thank you for this game. :)

I watched my friends play it a few weeks ago and it was interesting to see what the learning curve is like for the controls. Here's a tip that may help you get started:

- Hold down the 4 key and row in circles while watching the compass move. Do the same with the 6 key. Become familiar with the direction of rotation for each key.

- Now try holding 5 to go straight for a bit, press and hold 4 or 6 to turn 90 degrees, then 5 again to row in the new direction.

Think of it like rowing a real boat and mess around with the controls a bit. You'll get it down with practice (i.e. keep playing my game!!!) haha. Even though the contest will be over please feel free to critique. Thanks!

Game play somewhat reminds me of Sub Hunt. Maybe something in the namesake.

The look and feel of the map is pretty similar to Sub Hunt. It's one of the first Intellivision games I really got into.

This game NEEDS to be made for Intellivision !!!

I already made it for the Intellivision so you're in luck!!!

• Like 2

Here is a small update!

After experimenting with BasiEgaXorz (and running into trouble with hardware compatibility) I decided to come back to what I know and love!

I've added a pause/stats menu and animated the whirlpools. Yes they are whirlpools now, it's official. Currently the stats menu displays kill, item, and town stats. I need more options for the stats menu so if anyone has something they would like to see added please let me know. There are six empty slots, and not all of them have to be used, but the buttons are there so put them to use right! I also changed the controller scheme somewhat (just the bottom row of buttons) so please refer to the manual for the new controls.

whalehunt_1b.zip

• Like 5

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry I've been away for so long, I got wrapped up in NES dev!

Unfortunately no... The existing code has very limited free space and there is so much I want to add. Also, the code is all reaction based and doesn't utilize buffers (a concept I only recently began experimenting with). Most importantly, I still don't know if the game runs on a real Intellivision or not, and I didn't want to make a bunch of changes without testing this. I've been anxious to complete Whale Hunt, but I've put it off until I receive the dev hardware from the contest winnings so I can do it properly.

I'll let everyone know when development starts again!

• Like 1

Be aware that the LTO Flash! Is out for the Intellivision so you can test on real hardware plus I know a reliable guy that can test on every combo of hardware and he also has an LTO Flash! It might be worth it while it is on your mind to get him do a quick sanity check for you.

PM me for more info.

Unfortunately no... The existing code has very limited free space and there is so much I want to add. Also, the code is all reaction based and doesn't utilize buffers (a concept I only recently began experimenting with). Most importantly, I still don't know if the game runs on a real Intellivision or not, and I didn't want to make a bunch of changes without testing this. I've been anxious to complete Whale Hunt, but I've put it off until I receive the dev hardware from the contest winnings so I can do it properly.

No worries, thanks for the update.

A few things to note: I can help you test on hardware, I'll give it a go this week-end. Regarding the space issue, we can also help you with that. We could implement bank-switching or table overlays if necessary. There is really no limit!

dZ.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I played it on the real hardware couple weeks ago. It works perfectly. I really love how much depth and content that this game has.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sad to say, still no updates. I haven't forgot about it though...

Well, keep us posted! As the winner of the 2015 contest, Whale Hunt has generated great excitement in the community. I know I'm dying to see how you finish it up and polish it for release. :thumbsup:

By the way, if you don't get a chance to complete Whale Hunt, would you consider a new entry for the 2018 contest? :)

-dZ.

By the way, if you don't get a chance to complete Whale Hunt, would you consider a new entry for the 2018 contest? :)

I thought about it. Whale Hunt was just a snippit from a massive text rpg project I started (and never finished, its a bad habit of mine...) so if I did join the 2018 contest, I would pull another snippit from the text rpg.

I thought about it. Whale Hunt was just a snippit from a massive text rpg project I started (and never finished, its a bad habit of mine...) so if I did join the 2018 contest, I would pull another snippit from the text rpg.

That would be great! :)

-dZ.