IGNORED

Colecovision / Flashback Arcade Controller!

thevnaguy

Just to clarify is it a 4 way or 8 way joystick ...

Its a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT microswitch joystick with an octagonal insert, so it has landing notches at the four cardinal directions (like a 4 way) and in the corners (like an 8 way). This is a nice compromise that gives you solid gameplay with either type of game.

The attached photo is not a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT, but it shows off the octagonal restrictor.

post-40253-0-61655400-1449509898_thumb.jpg

Does this controller work on an Atari 7800?

No, its only for the vintage Colecovision console and the Flashback Colecovision console.

However, one of the variations that will come with this launch will be an "adapter only" unit (the "Seagull CV") that will allow you to use a 7800 controller with either Colecovision console. The adapter will have an on-board keypad, so you can still select games and use in-game features that require the keypad.

The Kickstarter campaign will have reward bundles that include a Seagull CV adapter and either a Super 78 or Supreme 78 controller for the folks with 7800s and Colecovisions.

post-40253-0-57596200-1449510283_thumb.jpg

My question is will you be able to switch from 4 way to 8 way easily ? I really don't want to be taking apart anything to change it .

With the octagonal restrictor plate its a hybrid of both - 4 and 8 way. You have true indents at the 4-way spots (U/D/L/R) AND all four corners of an 8 way. Blow up the photo higher in the thread and you'll see what I mean.

Do you have any idea on the pricing for Arcade controller? What about the stand alone adapter? Is this going to be at first only available as rewards for a Kickstrarter campaign?

Yes, I think we have nailed down pricing for the four products:

Outputs to Coleco 82 and FB consoles

$99.00 - Seagull CV Adapter: Inputs for 2600, 7800, Coleco 82, Coleco FB, and Sega Genesis controllers, with onboard keypad.

$149.00 - Super Arcade Controller: Sanwa joystick with octagonal plate, onboard keypad, four Happ arcade fire buttons.

$199.00 - Super Arcade Controller Plus: As seen in Willie's video, a combination of the Seagull CV Adapter and the Super Arcade Controller.

Output to Computer USB

$149.00 - Super USB - Colecovision: Sanwa joystick with octagonal plate, onboard keypad, four Happ arcade fire buttons.

The standard color scheme for the three controllers will be solid red ball and the four fire buttons mirroring the original Super Action Controller - red, yellow, purple, and blue. However, like all the Edladdin controllers we can customize these by delivering the ball and any of the buttons in any color combination you want. The only style not shown in the lineup is the "ruby gemstone" clear knob.

-----------

Yes, the plan is to tie everything to the Kickstarter initially. We have a few big ticket items to swallow to make this fly, most notably:

1. Having the main controller PCB fabricated and populated in the minimum run of 100 pieces

2. Having the two types of membrane keypad (matrix for the consoles, non-matrix for the USB) produced in the minimums of 250 pieces each

3. Purchase of the two sizes of aluminum enclosures in sufficient volume to be affordable and having them all punched/milled at a machine shop

With Kickstarter fees, all total we need to raise $8965. That will put us in business! After that, we will carry all four items at www.edladdin.com as regularly stocked products.

After the design was complete, most of the work has been finding sources with minimums small enough to be reasonable. For example, most of the Hong Kong keypad vendors want you to produce 1,000 pieces, which blows the initial outlay sky high. Likewise, having the case manufacturer do the milling, they wanted $14.60 each and a minimum of 100 pieces. I was finally able to find a small shop who would run lots of 10 for $5.00 each.

The stretch goal for the Kickstarter will be to recapture the development costs of $3,050 I've spent to get this far. That was engineering, singleton pricing for the prototype, artwork, and the video for the campaign. But that's all investment I've already made, so earning that back can happen over more time. Its not essential to keep us moving forward.

Thanks in advance for your consideration! I really hope we can get this off the ground. At the very worst I will have the world's most expensive Colecovision controller for my own use, but I really think you guys will love these units once you can try them out for yourselves. :-)

post-40253-0-70402300-1449650628_thumb.jpg

Do you have any idea on the pricing for Arcade controller? What about the stand alone adapter? Is this going to be at first only available as rewards for a Kickstrarter campaign?

PS: We're also planning to make the populated PCB available so that anyone with some skillz can make their own controller and/or adapter.

PPS: As an added bonus, in addition to all the other inputs, outputs, and capabilities, this PCB has live, fully-operational inputs for the directional thumbwheel that was originally found on the Super Action Controller. We could not find an economical solution for delivering this element, but an individual could very easily add that capability and truly have the ultimate Colecovision arcade controller.

post-40253-0-57125600-1449652061_thumb.jpg

• Like 1