IGNORED

Off-Topic: Look At What I Just Bought!

Eric7100

Intellivision Brotherhood, I just bought a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) puppy. This is the dog that everybody refers to as a miniature collie. I have been trying to find the perfect one since last Christmas. This Christmas, it will be a gift for myself and the family.

This puppy is one of eight puppies (6 girls and 2 boys). Her "holding" name is Bitzy, but I am thinking of changing it to Lassie. She was my 3rd pick (as my 1st and 2nd picks were grabbed by other people before I could claim them).

The others' names are Arnie, Bart, Betty, Barbie, Becki, Amy, and Abby.

I am going to pick her up from her breeder sometime this week (probably Wednesday or Thursday). It will be a 40-mile drive.

I may need to sell a few Intellivision items to pay for her, so look for possible announcements in the coming weeks.

Here is her picture! Cheers!

puppies_for_sale_in_pa_PW-14615_1.144908

Edited by Eric7100
  • Like 9

Wow, look at that beautiful puppy in that pimp Glamour shot! Meow...er, woof.

BTW, never tell her she was your third choice. It's bad enough that someday you'll have to tell her she was adopted ;-)

I used to have a Border Collie. Best dog I ever owned mutually coexisted with for many years.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

I don't know the market at all, i just thought $500+ for a dog is kind of expensive IMHO. It's purebred though, so I understand.

Every dog I've had, I got from friends who's dogs had puppies.. I adopted a Boxer a few years ago, he's 8 now. I want a German Shepard next..someday :-)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

I was going to get a Jack Russell next to complete my terrier trilogy, but I've always wanted a collie-looking dog (though not a collie, because I like smaller dogs). My hope is to name my Sheltie Lassie, so I can have a dog that looks like a miniature Lassie. Another dog I'm hoping to have in my lifetime is a Pomeranian.

High-energy dogs certainly don't scare me, thanks to raising two terriers. So I'm ready for my Sheltie in that department. The shedding, though... well, that will be a whole new thing for me! :)

Not to be a downer, but that area of PA is notorious for puppy mills and maltreatment of dogs:

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/local-puppy-mills-make-list-of-nation-s-worst/article_6dc440ea-db96-11e3-a83d-0017a43b2370.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=7187712

The Amish run some of the worst puppy mills around -- they view the animals as livestock, and treat them accordingly.

Maybe the folks who bred this dog are nicer, but I still question why anyone in this day and age would buy pets from a breeder -- or, really, anywhere but a shelter or a friend who's had a litter. (Assuming, that is, you actually care about dogs and don't want them just for a disposable lifestyle accessory as many people do...)

EDIT: In fact, Eric, the website you linked is specifically cited as a front for puppy mills:

http://www.chrisshaughness.com/avoiding-puppy-mills/

"If you go to a web site called Lancasterpuppies.com, you will find jsut about any kind of dog you can imagine. The puppies look adorable, of course. But this web site is a just a front for selling Amish-bred puppies."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(