IGNORED

Adamlink 2 and linefeeds

Milli V

Is there anyway when transferring a text file to the Adam via Adam link 2 that you can tell it to leave line feeds alone? I am sending Chr 13 Chr 10 because CPM wants them in files and it is removing the Chr 10 - and yes I told it under settings to enable auto line feed and I turned it a

Off too with no effect

I'm sure you're not going to want to hear this, especially after seeing your Facebook post, but...

Contact Bob Slopsema and buy ADAMLink V from him on DDP. I never had issues with the LF using ADAMLink III or above and can't comment on ADAMLink II seeing as it's been over 30 years since I used it when logging into CompuServe, but I don't recall having any issues with it. Then again, I didn't go the extra step of converting the file to CP/M like you are doing as I didn't bother with CP/M until years later.

Seeing as you are trying to get files from the PC to ADAM CP/M, I would recommend also tracking down a CP/M telecommunications program and recall MADAM7 being a popular choice. This way you eliminate EOS altogether and transfer the file directly into the CP/M environment.

I've been a little frustrated with the Adam and it prolly shows in my posts. I'm trying to treat this whole experience as if it was 30 years ago and solve the problems as I would have then and not spend money to solve it quick. I have a few more avenues to try before I throw money at it. I have 4 Adams now so I am not giving up!

I kind of figured that you want to solve any problems thru one of Coleco's favorite sayings, "The Fun of Discovery" and without throwing money at it... I'm the same way. ;)

There's a lot of great info in all the PDF'ed newsletters on Joe's B's ADAM website (linked in the footer of my messages), so as time permits, you should browse thru them and also download "The ADAM Survival Guide" which Joe scanned and assembled in a PDF.

I've been trying to think of alternate way to transfer files back and forth between a PC and ADAM without the need of 5 1/4" disks drives on both computers and completely overlooked the IDE Interface with CF Card package sold by ADAMcon... ann.hollowdreams.com.

Thru the use of ADAMem v1.81, you can copy any EOS or CP/M files or Disk/DDP Image Files to the CF Card Image File. Once you have everything on the CF Card Image File that you want, you would use the Windows program HDDRawCopy to write this image file back onto an actual ADAM CF Card and then plug the card back into the CF Adapter in your ADAM. There's a bit of a process involved and lots of things to be aware of, but if you decide to try it out, I could write up a tutorial that would cover all aspects.

Seeing how hard it is to find/acquire an ADAM Disk Drive and the expense usually involved, this CF Card option will be your best bet if you are still having issues transferring via modem.

So you can open up disk images and transfer files off of them? Cool--I just re-setup my ADAM after being down for a bit, and got back into TDOS--noticed that there's nothing there for editors, compilers, etc.

Too bad I'll have to dust off my Windows Vista laptop to do it, all my other computers are Macs now that the living room PC died. Ugh.

With the most recent version of ADAMem released by Doug S. (v1.81), it supports using CF Image Files that can be created from the ADAM formatted CF Card. What I have done is place this updated version of ADAMem with the necessary IDE expansion boot rom into my Virtaul ADAM directory (replacing the original v1.0 of ADAMem) and then from there all you need to do is run Virtual ADAM and mount your Disk or DDP Image Files and then choose to boot. ADAMem will default to booting the IDE boot driver and then of course the HardDisk Menu and you will have access from there to any of the Disk or DDP Image Files that you have mounted.

From here you can boot File Manager from the CF image and proceed to copy files from the Disk/DDP image files to the CF image or if you want to copy the whole Disk/DDP image file (say a Super Game which doesn't have a standard directory), you would have to copy all the blocks of the Disk/DDP image file to the CF image keeping track of where you placed the blocks on the CF image so that you can copy those blocks off the CF Card and back to a disk or data pack on the ADAM.

T-DOS would be simpler seeing as all you would do is copy the files off of a Disk/DDP image file onto one of the four T-DOS partitions under Virtual ADAM.

Basically once you have all the files/data copied to the CF image file using Virtual ADAM, you would then write this CF image file back to your ADAM CF Card using the Windows program HDDRawCopy and then place this CF Card back in your ADAM to access everything you copied onto it using Virtual ADAM. As I said, it's a bit of a process and you will need to familiarize yourself with using the emulator on the PC as well as the ADAM utility File Manager, but it's a doable option if you don't own 5 1/4" disk drives on your ADAM and PC and direct connecting modems isn't working for you.